Hello everybody,

i had a question when it comes to learning songs via tablature
I know my scales, basic chord theory, chord patterns, modes and all that good stuf, forthe most part, but i had a question about learning through tab. Does anybody else have a hard time learning songs through reading tab? i can play some mediocre to complex basslines i have made up myself but when it comes to reading a hard tab i am not quite as good, anybody else have this same problem?
If I'm having trouble with tabs, I try to just memorize all the notes, so when I'm playing I wont have to look back at it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Tabs are notoriously hard to use as sheet music. They are not ment for that. They are great for easy communicating how music is played without needing anything else than MS Word, but for reading complicated pieces while playing them in real time they fall short. Traditional staffs are much more suitable for that purpose.
If you dont have the song playing i find it near impossible as well, there no good for rythm, just the notes and the rough layout. A score is alot easier to read from, except im not fast enough on the bass clef and the fret board for it yey. I really need to get practising more.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I advise you to get guitar pro. At first I felt discouraged from playing my bass when it came to learning bass parts from the tab because of how hard it is to pick out the bass. Guitar Pro shows this perfectly with a thing for the rhythm of the song and the ability to slow down the bass to get it right.
powertab is ok too. it's like a free version of guitar pro. can't read guitar pro files but it has it's own type of file. If you don't want to pay the small price for guitar pro(which is a bit better really) powertab is a good alternative. i use it. It will have the traditional staff and also the tab underneath. and it plays a midi file with it so you can play with it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by mwhan2209
I advise you to get guitar pro. At first I felt discouraged from playing my bass when it came to learning bass parts from the tab because of how hard it is to pick out the bass. Guitar Pro shows this perfectly with a thing for the rhythm of the song and the ability to slow down the bass to get it right.

thats exactly the reason why i use it. not only that but you can also play along with the song and know exactly where you are while learning the notes as you go along
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Tabs give you a good sense of where the notes are but that's it really, I can't really read the rhythm from tabs, not sure if it's common though.
I'll also support the guitar pro idea, it's very helpful.

Something not suggested: if you already know your scales and basic chord theory, then just figure out the key of each song and memorize the main riff. From there you can simply improvise the fills. I think few bass players bother memorizing every fill when they do a cover song ( I sure don't) If you have a good theoretical sense of the song then you can make your own fills that fit in just fine with the music.

If you want to be able to sight read music, you're just going to have to go with traditional notation.
Quote by Captain Insano
Listen to the song.
Learn the rythmn.
Look at the tab, afterwards.

LLL

That doesn't always work though. There are some songs I love to play but the bass doesn't follow the same rhythm as the guitar or drums in certain parts and it can be hard to learn rhythm for an entire 4 minute song where the tempo is changing and doesn't follow the same pattern the entire song.

One of the side effects, for me anyways, from learning songs through guitar pro was that my sight reading has gotten slightly better.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
just play slowly..bar to bar...isolate the bars, i personally can sight read like a concert cello player w/tabs; but std. notation forget it....takes me hours 2 sort thru std. notation
It's all about listening to the song. Listen to the song while following the tab but don't play it yet. Follow it first. Listen to the timing of the notes. If you think you know where the notes are played, then begin to play, adjusting all the way.