I've always been strictly a traditional punk/rock guitar player, but I want to branch out a little more. And the blues have always kinda seemed fun..But I'm not exactly sure how to start. Any basic tips, or mentalities on how to play...chord progressions..scales...I'm not really sure what I'm doing, haha.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

To learn, you got to listen!

Blues scale and lots of lots of blues musicians!
turn down the gain. you still can have some breakup, but you need a warm tone...neck pickup! thats for the sound, the licks listen to those guys ^^^^^^^^
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Blues Scale, Penatonic. Mainly, listen to some blues guitarists!! It will help you learn tremensely. Also, it really helps to know how to really stick your bends, if you know what I mean.
Strats & Seagulls
put on a bunch of old blues songs with the classic I-IV-V progression. Then, solo around in the blues scale. After a while you can really feel the groove of a song. It comes pretty quickly if you put some time in it. The best part is, it's simple at first, but you can always improve it.

*unoriginal, but after you've tried some of this, look up some licks on youtube and try to use them.
Gear:

Fender 1980 "THE Strat"
Fender 2005 MIM Tele
Jay Turser Les Paul

Monster Cables

Fender PT-100 Pedal Tuner
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff (NYC)
MXR Phase 90

Crate V33H head
Crate V212 cab
Lose your job,run over your dog,and have your house catch on fire with your family trapped inside all on the same day.After this you should be able to play the blues like a pro.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Here, this should help:

The Blues Explained

But seriously, do this:

Buy Eric Clapton's album From the Cradle. Listen to it over and over. Learn the licks, the flow, the riffs. It's practically an encyclopedia of blues technique.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Last edited by VisionaryTics at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by VisionaryTics
Here, this should help:
But seriously, do this:

Buy Eric Clapton's album From the Cradle. Listen to it over and over. Learn the licks, the flow, the riffs. It's practically an encyclopedia of blues technique.

This is a good idea. The album is so epic. Straight blues.

Blues Scale in A

E-------------------------------------5--8-----
B-----------------------------5--8-------------
G---------------------5-7-8-------------------
D---------------5-7---------------------------
A-------5-6-7---------------------------------
E--5-8----------------------------------------

A pentantonic scale is the same thing it just doesn't have that "blues note", in this case it would be a D#/Eb. Comprendo?
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I suggest listening to some older (Duane era) Allman Brothers stuff, it's help get you out of that minor pentatonic/blues scale box pattern playing that so many people fall victim to.

Check out these two albums;
"Live at Fillmore East" and "Eat a Peach," check out the playing on tracks like Stormy Monday, Statesboro Blues, Whipping Post, One Way Out, You don't Love Me, actually all of it is just spectacular.
Quote by mcraddict81592
I've always been strictly a traditional punk/rock guitar player, but I want to branch out a little more. And the blues have always kinda seemed fun..But I'm not exactly sure how to start. Any basic tips, or mentalities on how to play...chord progressions..scales...I'm not really sure what I'm doing, haha.

well to start, learn the pentatonic and all its positions. people say learn the blues scale but its really just one more note and its a passing tone. so be sure to learn it but keep in my not to rest on that note for too long.

anyway, look on youtube for some basic blues licks and that should get you started. the best thing to do is just put on a CD and play along. make sure to improvise your solos. blues is mostly improvising.