Thanks for all help....

I am currently shopping for a new guitar, and my first choice would probably be a parker fly mojo, however,
I have been getting into jazz for a few years and i would like a good semi hollow contemporary jazz sound like Kurt Rosenwinkel etc.
So i was recommended an es 335.
as i do obviously still play Modern Rock/ Prog Rock/ Alt Rock, I was wondering if anyone knew or had any opinions about the sound of a semi hollow such as an es335 through high gain like a dual rectifier....

I am aware that these guitars sound great for modern jazz like through a fender twin and maybe some light distortion for a smooth lead, but i am just concerned that it will not do it for me when i go to play with my alt rock band and plug it into the rectifier....

any thoughts??

~Trauma
I own one, and it's a very versatile guitar. i'm fairly certain it could get the sound you're after, but it might help if you named a few bands or songs as an example.
It can be done as long as you don't go overboard with the gain.

My 335 and Jubilee produce some sexy hard rock sounds.
ok then i will be a little more specific:

For Rock:
I like, John Petrucci Tone, Chevelle, Tool, Papa Roach, Modern High Gain Sound like that

And Jazz: Straight ahead jazz for starters, standards, and contemporary Kurt Rosenwinkel Jazz type sound. I like Torben Waldorff's tone too.

~Trauma
Quote by stillcell
How do you play jazz... and modern/alt rock. Play classic.

...yes, tell people how and what to play. brilliant.

Honestly, I think the ES-335 is quite over-priced. You're paying for the Gibson name on the headstock. If you want to spend that much money, look at Edwards guitars. You can get a really solid Gibson knockoff from Agile for much cheaper, too. It would enable you to get a great jazz guitar AND a great rock guitar.

That said, if you're intent on the ES, it's a really nice guitar and will handle rock well.

EDIT: Oh, and this really belongs in the EG forum.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Not really into classic rock sorry, i just dont really play it, and im not really into blues at all either. And Colin, i dont really go crazy on gain, like i dont play death metal, but i dont really play hard rock. I hope you werent referring to like Dream Theater Guitar Sound as being overboard on gain....

~Trauma
Quote by trauma15
Not really into classic rock sorry, i just dont really play it, and im not really into blues at all either. And Colin, i dont really go crazy on gain, like i dont play death metal, but i dont really play hard rock. I hope you werent referring to like Dream Theater Guitar Sound as being overboard on gain....

~Trauma

Dream Theater isn't really high gain, but at the same time, a semi-hollow guitar isn't ideal for that type of sound. A Les Paul would be better for you. (After all, Les Paul was a jazz player)
Quote by stillcell
I like the jazz fact, Just today's music sucks so bad.

and this is not a music discussion forum. hit the pit.
reported for spam.

Don't judge me.
Im pretty sure Petrucci uses high gain lol. And sure i guess i can consider a LP, but i hate the feel. and no they dont really sound great for jazz, people just sorta invent that idea nowadays b/c les paul was a jazz player. although i would disagree whatever

~Trauma
It depends a ton on the pickups and strings, man. You can get some great jazz tone out of an LP with the right pickups, strings, and tone knobbage.

Feel is an entirely different thing, though...

Don't judge me.
I'm sure that with the right amp/pedals you could easily have the tone you're looking for, plus you'd stand out.

Just be sure to play it before you buy it. I've played 335's that are amazing (like mine), and some that are absolute ****. Gibson quality control just isn't what it used to be.
ok sounds good. On that note, Agile guitars' copy of the 335 looks really nice im not sure how it is so cheap....

and rolling tone knobs down is not how you get good jazz sound lol. sorry to break it to you

but no problems with feedback or anything on higher gain with es335?

~Trauma
Quote by trauma15
ok sounds good. On that note, Agile guitars' copy of the 335 looks really nice im not sure how it is so cheap....

and rolling tone knobs down is not how you get good jazz sound lol. sorry to break it to you

but no problems with feedback or anything on higher gain with es335?

~Trauma

clearly your idea of a good jazz sound is a little different than mine, but I think my LP is just a little bit sharp with full tone for jazz.

You shouldn't have problems unless you do something stupid like stand right in front of the amp.

Don't judge me.
well, i do have feedback problems occasionally. it's not uncontrollable, you just need to adjust to it, and learn how to keep it under control.
thats annoying...or is it?

and sorry theoretic music, i guess so... i didnt mean to be so over opinionated or imply you dont know jazz. idk my teacher said so but maybe its worth a try with a lp maybe into a fender twin?
Quote by trauma15
Im pretty sure Petrucci uses high gain lol. And sure i guess i can consider a LP, but i hate the feel. and no they dont really sound great for jazz, people just sorta invent that idea nowadays b/c les paul was a jazz player. although i would disagree whatever

~Trauma

A Mesa Mark IV is not really much of a high gain amp. Can it get heavy? Definitely. Does it compare to a Dragon/Cobra, Powerball, VH4, or even a Rectifier? No. When you refer to modern high gain, those latter amps come to mind.

Also, Les Paul actually plays a Les Paul.
http://www.justout.com/uploads/01_Blog_Photos/07_2007/lespaul.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a Les Paul Personal from the seventies.
it's annoying when you're just starting out at high gain with it. you learn to control it to the point where it either doesn't happen, or is in some way musical.
well i kno but petrucci gets some gain out of his mark 4 for sure. and yes i know what you mean. but in terms of like comparing the tone of a 335 to like a solidbody.... Its prlly darker, resonant, mellower, but is it airy? any thoughts on comparing sound in general?

~Trauma
it's different, for sure, but not in a bad way. i can get a very large variety of tones from mine. it might not be ideal for progressive rock, but you really can't go wrong with it unless you're playing straight up metal.
the only real answer is for you to play it.
My guitar is an ES-335 style hollowbody and handles a good amount of gain very well. I don't play metal but the guitar delivers an amazing sound for harder rock styles.

Quote by trauma15
well i kno but petrucci gets some gain out of his mark 4 for sure. and yes i know what you mean. but in terms of like comparing the tone of a 335 to like a solidbody.... Its prlly darker, resonant, mellower, but is it airy? any thoughts on comparing sound in general?

~Trauma

IMO it's better in every possible way. I love semi-hollowbodies.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
...yes, tell people how and what to play. brilliant.

Honestly, I think the ES-335 is quite over-priced. You're paying for the Gibson name on the headstock. If you want to spend that much money, look at Edwards guitars. You can get a really solid Gibson knockoff from Agile for much cheaper, too. It would enable you to get a great jazz guitar AND a great rock guitar.

That said, if you're intent on the ES, it's a really nice guitar and will handle rock well.

EDIT: Oh, and this really belongs in the EG forum.

I never thought someone like you would post something that stupid. The ES 335 is the best sounding and most versatile guitar I have ever played. It is expensive, but it is well worth the price. Suggesting an Edwards or Agile over a Gibson Custom Shop guitar when the TS has the money is not only stupid, but proves that you don't know much about Gibsons.

Why is Gibson hated? Because the company produces many lemons, people play the lemons at guitar stores, people think all Gibsons are overpriced and bad.

Now, when you look into a Custom Shop Gibson, you are getting 2 things:

1. A better, more consistent quality control than the USA guitars.

2. If the guitar is not a lemon, you are getting a high quality instrument, no more, no less. Don't believe otherwise.

( I haven't said that you are getting a better guitar than a USA Gibson, you're just getting one that might play, look and feel better)

Now, this poses a certain problem:

1. You have to compare models seeing as even CS quality is inconsistent.

2. You'll have to compare many models to find the one you like, but that won't be hard if you know what to look for in a guitar.

Now TS, I have a even better suggest than the 335. Why not get an es 339? It is a smaller sized version of the 335. The smaller body makes it feed back less and gives it even more versatility, seeing as it can handle more gain than a 335. Plus, the 30/60 neck profile is awesome, the small size is much more comfy than a 335 IMO and the 57 classic pickups sound so good that you won't have to switch 'em out ( unlike the burstbuckers, which are bright, brittle and harsh, IMO)

Oh, and it comes with special 500k pots that let you roll the volume down and keep all your frequencies, unlike most pots that make the guitar sound muddy when the volume knob is down. Plus, the volume really changes evenly, unlike most guitars, where the volume drops only at certain levels.

PS: I have researched these guitars extensively, and ultimately bought a 339 for it's sound, great price and playability. 335 or 339, you're getting a great guitar ( if you find a good one)
At the Foo Fighters show, Dave played his custom model (basically an ES 335) for all but 3 songs. I'd say it can handle a sufficient amount of gain.

Also, they look, feel, and sound great.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Mike!

text wall.

I said I thought they were overpriced, not that they were bad guitars...
Sure, an Agile isn't in the same league as a great ES-335, but a good Edwards sure is.

You won't be able to convince me that you don't pay more than that guitar is worth just because of the Gibson name on the headstock...

and I play a Gibson. I'm not trying to bash, just trying to be reasonable.

Don't judge me.