I have a marshall mg50dfx(not the greatest amp)

i want to learn how to develop ears so you can get the sound you want.

i hate just playing around with the sound.

i need to know how to use the EQ right,for O.D i got a bass, contour, tremble and gain

on clean I have Gain, bass, middle, tremble

Can anyone help me please!!!!
Last edited by yanmingyu at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by yanmingyu
for O.D i got a bass, contour, tremble and gain

tremble is so hard to figure out.
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
whats hard about it. unless you dont know what the knobs do... each knob turns down or adds whatever it says it does.
Seriously mate, you gotta train for it. That includes just spending hours messing with it. The MG is a low grade amp, but look at it this way: after screwing with it, you'll at least have a little knowledge of how to dial an amp in. My biggest advice (not mine actually, learned this from a good old friend) if you wanna bring that amp some life, get an eq pedal (they come in 7-10 band, I used a 7 back in the day as did the man who gave me this advice) plug the eq into the effects loop. Set all of the amp levels to 5 (assuming your amp goes to 10, some don't) and set all of the EQ pedal's settings to 0. Then, hit a chord... if you want more treble, boost it on the pedal, bass same, mid same, then tweak the amp the same way till it's in a place that sounds sweet to you.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by ValoRhoads
Set all of the amp levels to 5 and set all of the EQ pedal's settings to 5. if you want more treble, boost it on the pedal, bass same, mid same, then tweak the amp the same way till it's in a place that sounds sweet to you.

thats exactly what you're supposed do with a standard 3 band EQ.. having like 7-10 band EQ is more trouble than its worth though. when you play live with a crowd, you really can't tell the difference
Quote by pepsi1187
thats exactly what you're supposed do with a standard 3 band EQ.. having like 7-10 band EQ is more trouble than its worth though. when you play live with a crowd, you really can't tell the difference

That's true on a good amp, sure, any day. But this is a Marshall MG, it needs all the help it can get!
Am I the only one that noticed he said "tremble"?
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
I caught it, but without using the exact words, he admitted noobness, so my heart let him slide... We were all noobs sometime...
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by ValoRhoads
That's true on a good amp, sure, any day. But this is a Marshall MG, it needs all the help it can get!

i have an MG and it's fine.
Quote by yanmingyu
I have a marshall mg50dfx(not the greatest amp)

i want to learn how to develop ears so you can get the sound you want.

i hate just playing around with the sound.

i need to know how to use the EQ right,for O.D i got a bass, contour, tremble and gain

well you could always try out different settings and go from there. online there are a bunch of settings of guitar players from all sorts of bands, i believe there is a thread about that here somewhere. for example, i know that for me i wanted a thick, meaty tone like SRV. so i figured out that he usually cranked his mids and bass all the way and kept the treble around 5-7. so i crank my mids and bass, keep treble at 6 and turn on my mid boost on the amp. turns out a bunch of my other tone heros like clapton, hendrix, joe bonamassa, philip sayce, and eric johnson all also use a lot of mids and bass. hendrix actually just cranked everything usually. so my EQ setting works out pretty well for me.

or you could just have them all at 5 and boost or cut which ever ones you dont want. over time you'll be able to tell who has what in their sound.
Quote by pepsi1187

i disagree.

but you just really need to spend a lot of time messing with it.
The amp EQ shouldn't be for SHAPING the sound majorly.

If a guitar sounds **** on flat eq (all knobs leveled) through the amp, chances will it will sound **** on almost any setting. Those knobs are just for small adjustments.

IF you really want to shape ur sound you need a Graphic Eq, or at least a STRONG 10 band eq with big DB cut/boost capabilities and one designed for vital guitar frequencies. MXR has fairly good ones.

But for me it's rule of thumb a guitar must sound "good" straight into amp. First impression is the best, and everything you hear after, is because your ear will get "used" to the non-niceness of it.

Amp knobs is really just for if it's "a bit too bassy" or "bit too /treblyharsh" or a "bit too present/middy"

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 24, 2009,
Is there anywhere I could go to find out once and for all the meaning of bass, treble and mid? Without some crazy wikipedia article about frequencies?
Also, I have a crappy amp with one tone control, just a knob called tone - it seems to do exactly the same thing as the one on my guitar - you turn it down, the sound gets weak, you turn it up, it's alive. But that can't be Bass/Treble, can it?