A few stand now...A single one will remain.

Ok enough with the cheesy sayings...I'm buying a new amp! And I've decided to treat myself to my first boutique amp . However, I'm burdened with a the choice of deciding between many great amps.

I play classic rock, blues, and then anything but metal.
The budget's 1500$-2000$.
Wattage: 15-30 ish
What I want from the amp: Playable for bedroom, band practise and small gigs; great sound (obviously..); cover the different styles I play, but with a certain unique sound!; pedal friendly

I've narrowed down my decision to these amps:
1. Dr Z MAZ 38 Sr (38W) ---> Sounds great
2. Bogner Alchemist (40W) ---> Bogner seems to make great amps; this one is affordable
3. BadCat Cub 2 (15W) ---> Apparently a great amp and loud for 15W
4. Carr Hammerhead Mk 2 (28W) ---> Simple but seems to do the job

Of course, I'm going to try out the amps before buying, but I'd like some guidance before i do so.

SO
Anyone who owns/has played these amps? Anyone know about them? What are pros/cons for them? Basically tell me anything you know about them, good or bad.
Or you could always suggest others.

Tenk yews
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
Dr.Z is the only one I've tried out of those... and the clean/funk tones were to die for.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
The Alchemist is NOT a boutique amp. It's mass-produced in china, and has built-in effects. If you're playing classic rock and blues, I think the Carr and Dr. Z are where it's at for you. You should also look into Suhrs and Mojaves. What's the most you'll pay?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I've played the Dr Z Maz 18's and 38's and I loved them both. I really cant pin point any cons about it, except the price tag, but thats to be expected out of boutique amp. If you're going to get the combo, get the 2x12" one. It already has amazing low ends, but the 12" speakers really add to their expression.

with speakers a wider diaphragm = bigger, more well shaped bass.

its only 2 inches and $200 more, but hey you said you wanted to treat yourself.
My max price is 2000$.
Mojave seems great, but pricey. Same with Suhr

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Feb 24, 2009,
I feel that the Dr.Z Rx will do all of those the best IMO..... The BadCat is awesome, but they have their own tone if you know what I mean. If you haven't already, I suggest go and find one to play...if not...youtube...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If you are truly at the skill level where you are ready for boutique amp you certainly don't need someone to tell you what to buy. If you're "up in the air" get a Line6 combo.
AL
Quote by Adam Loeke
If you are truly at the skill level where you are ready for boutique amp you certainly don't need someone to tell you what to buy. If you're "up in the air" get a Line6 combo.

This would be remotely funny....if you werent being an ass about it...

*reported*
fargen also makes some pretty nice amps.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Bright Light

with speakers a wider diaphragm = bigger, more well shaped bass.

im pretty sure you mean diameter
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by aradroxar
im pretty sure you mean diameter

er, no. the diaphragm is a part of the speaker.

and honestly, with $2000, you're not in truly boutique territory, unless you can find something used. A little more money will get you a truly godly amp. I really think a Mojave is the way to go for you.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
er, no. the diaphragm is a part of the speaker.

and honestly, with $2000, you're not in truly boutique territory, unless you can find something used. A little more money will get you a truly godly amp. I really think a Mojave is the way to go for you.

So boutique is solely based on dollar value now?

Come on.

I can pick up a Mako Dorado for sub $2k

I can get ANY splawn amp for sub $2k

I can get any Peters for $2400

Please get your facts straight
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Feb 24, 2009,
Some great amps are being rec'd here. Fargen, Mojave, Suhr, all great stuff. I'll say check out a Matamp, since goolz is probably sleeping finally.

Also a Chicago Blues Box Halsted or Kingston would be good for what you play. While not exactly boutique, great amps and sell new for around $2,000.

Good luck with your search and please come back and post pics and clips of whatever you decide on!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
So boutique is solely based on dollar value now?

Come on.

I can pick up a Mako Dorado for sub $2k

I can get ANY splawn amp for sub $2k

I can get any Peters for $2400

Please get your facts straight

no, of course it's not. but I'm pretty sure neither a Mako or a Splawn is what he wants, and neither of those are low-wattage, low-yield amps.

My point is that you can get some truly unique, truly boutique amps for a little bit more money.
there is an exception to every rule, and i didn't make an absolute statement.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
no, of course it's not. but I'm pretty sure neither a Mako or a Splawn is what he wants, and neither of those are low-wattage, low-yield amps.

Don't tell me to get my facts straight, youngster. My point is that you can get some truly unique, truly boutique amps for a little bit more money.
there is an exception to every rule, and i didn't make an absolute statement.

jeez, 15 year olds.

15 year olds? Reported

First of all, I'm not 15.

2nd of all, I realize that he wouldnt want a mako or splawn

He may, however, want a Peters. Ever heard of them? Probably not.

They are hand made by James Peters in Canada. He is one of the few Canadian boutique amp makers.

3rd. Please tell me then, what makes an amp TRULY boutique? I'm pretty sure that 99% of HRI and UG would agree with me in saying that Dr. Z, Mako, Splawn, and Peters are all "truly" boutique, and "truly" unique, considering most will make changes to their amps dependant on what you want.

Back to the OP

Again, as I said earlier, a Dr.Z Rx would get you all you want and even a little more
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Feb 24, 2009,
15 year olds? Reported

How many people are you going to report jerk? Checked out your music and it is hillarious. Your guitar teacher really has a sense of humor. Report that, fatass.
AL
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Feb 24, 2009,
You guys are hilarious. Calling each other youngster and you're 1 year apart in age. Not that age is inherently related to experience or knowledge anyway...

To the OP, are you looking for new, or is used an option as well?

-J
How about the Chicago Blues box?
Dr.Z also sound pretty good to me. You should also check into some Swarts if your up for it.
15 year olds? Reported

He may, however, want a Peters. [UNQUOTE]

You wrote, "Peters." That's funny.
AL
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Adam Loeke

You wrote, "Peters." That's funny.

So many ways to go with that one. "I'd rather play with my box than play with my peters".

So MCRibz - are you willing to go used? Have you checked your local craigslist? I had a tophat and a bad cat on mine last I checked.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well for buying used, I don't really know. I think I'd rather get a new one, just so I'm sure everything is in tip-top shape.

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Another few good ones to check out (though a few might be more than you are willing to pay)

65 Amps
/13
Carol Anne Amps
Roccaforte (the Custom 40 and Custom 30 are pure win)
Metro
Victoria
Allen
Schreyer Audio

Quote by Brendan.Clace
15 year olds? Reported

He may, however, want a Peters. Ever heard of them? Probably not.

They are hand made by James Peters in Canada. He is one of the few Canadian boutique amp makers.

3rd. Please tell me then, what makes an amp TRULY boutique? I'm pretty sure that 99% of HRI and UG would agree with me in saying that Dr. Z, Mako, Splawn, and Peters are all "truly" boutique, and "truly" unique, considering most will make changes to their amps dependant on what you want.

Back to the OP

Again, as I said earlier, a Dr.Z Rx would get you all you want and even a little more

Yes, well. My mistake. Didn't realize that was a reportable offense.
And yes, as a matter of fact, I have heard of Peters. The Chimera is an absolutely awesome metal amp. And he may, in fact want a Peters. And they are, in fact, boutique amps. But they will cost you over 2 grand in most cases (as you rightly stated).

You know, before you decided to argue numbers, my original point was that he could get deep into the world of GREAT boutique amps with a little bit more money. My point was never that amps under $2000 suck and aren't boutique. They are, however, generally more readily available and heavily produced. Almost all of the manufacturers you listed have amps well over the $2000 mark. And it WILL cost you more money to have things customized.
So anyway, this argument is probably moot at this point, and I'm sorry for calling you a youngster.

OP: I still think you'd love a Mojave Coyote 112. $250 more than your max budget, and when you're spending that much, what's a few more, eh?

Quote by imgooley
Another few good ones to check out (though a few might be more than you are willing to pay)

65 Amps
/13
Carol Anne Amps
Roccaforte (the Custom 40 and Custom 30 are pure win)
Metro
Victoria
Allen
Schreyer Audio

+1

except 65 and divided by 13 are probably quite a bit too expensive. and metro is probably not quite up the TS' alley.

An Allen Old Flame and Brown Sugar top my list out of those.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 24, 2009,
Yeah, I'm really attracted to the Mojaves, but I can't really go past 2000$...

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Quote by MCRibz
Yeah, I'm really attracted to the Mojaves, but I can't really go past 2000$...

You can get an Allen Brown Sugar 2x12 for 1899...

look into that.

Don't judge me.