Ok like the question says im getting interested in humbuckers and im into strats and i just got a new strat with decent single coil pickups, but just decent. So i guess what i want to know is that under the pickguard are the spaces where the pickups lie only fit for single coils? do i have to specifically have to buy a HSS strat to have a strat with a humbucker or is the space big enough and compatible for a humbucker? thats kinda hard to understnad cuz its kind of hard for me to explain it so if you give me an answer thank you! all help is welcome
Quote by Invader Jim
Just take it off and check...

this man, is correct
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah i have an SSS and i just put on new strings the other day and i dont want to have to take them all off again when someone could just tell me. So i have an SSS will that work or not? and do i have to have a special wiring for Humbuckers or is it just a matter if theres room for it?
No special wiring, and I already told you that the routing vairies. You may have a guitar with 3 singles, but for all I know it's swimming pool routed or something.
Quote by Invader Jim
No special wiring, and I already told you that the routing vairies. You may have a guitar with 3 singles, but for all I know it's swimming pool routed or something.

whats swimming pool routed? im new to most of this sorry :/
What kind of guitar is it exactly?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by zchavez09
whats swimming pool routed? im new to most of this sorry :/

The route looks like a "swimming pool". One big open route. Enough space to hide Jimmy Hoffa!
Then there's a 99.9% chance that its swimming pool routed(but you'll never know for sure unless you check). You can fit anything in there though.
Quote by handbanana
thanks youve all been great help, ill be sure to check next time i switch my strings now does anyone reccomend a good pickup switching guide just in case it is swiming pool routed?
Just take the strings off the tuners, get a screw driver, check routing, put pick guard back on, put strings back on. It will take 30 min max and only if you suck at using a screw driver or can't tune your guitar in which case you need to practice anyways. Honestly, the only possible way any of us can really help you is if you sent picks, in which case you would know already unless you are blind. If you are blind I really just don't know what to say.
Many times you dont have to take everything off to find out. Take the screws out for the pickguard and lift it a little so you can take a peek. My squire was SSS but was routed for HSH.
Even if for some odd reason it is SSS you could always go with some rail humbuckers.
yeah i think ill just unscrew the pickguard pull the nobs ect off slide it off without removing the strings which takes me about 30 mins including tuning and just take a peek. ill let you guys know what i find
wow its amazing at how much ive learned by only unscrewing half of the pickguard ive learned how the pickups are held in, but thats where i encounter a problem i only got about a half a look in there and it looks HSH but i want to be totally sure and to do taht im going to have to unscrew the otherside of the pickup to get it up more once i do that do i have to take the whole thing off to get the springs lined up and everything so i can screw the pickup screws back in straight or can i do it easily without removing the pickguard?
Just remove all the screws on the edge of the pickguard. It's not a difficult thing to do. You don't even have to mess with the pups.

Squiers are usually not pool routed, based on what I've seen. Most of the ones I've seen are HSS. Mine's SSS (before I got the router after it, anyway). I worked on a '96 MIM that was HSH.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by zchavez09
wow its amazing at how much ive learned by only unscrewing half of the pickguard ive learned how the pickups are held in, but thats where i encounter a problem i only got about a half a look in there and it looks HSH but i want to be totally sure and to do taht im going to have to unscrew the otherside of the pickup to get it up more once i do that do i have to take the whole thing off to get the springs lined up and everything so i can screw the pickup screws back in straight or can i do it easily without removing the pickguard?

stop making it more difficult than it has to be. remove the strings, remove the pickguard and get yourself a definitive answer.

springs? did you unscrew the pickup screws or the pickguard screws?
ok its not pool routed i guess it kinda looks like and HSS but the second slot is a little more H than S, but it still has angled edges not straight 90 degrees like the humbucker one has so im guessing the second ones just a little wide and its an HSS which im relieved of btw i took off the whole pickguard and now have to deal with the springs and stuff oh well ill figure it out youve all been helpful especially invader jim and zakkwyldefan79
Springs?
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
Springs?

i'm guessing in the process of unscrewing the pickguard he might've unscrewed the pickup screws as well.
yeah i unscrewed the pickups and im fairy confident that its an HSS so i dont see the need to post pictures
Quote by Invader Jim
But we feed off pictures...

This is sickeningly true.
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Feb 24, 2009,
You have to take the pickups out of a strat to get pickguard off I think, or unscrew it at least. cause on mine, it has two screws on both sides of the pickup.

Why is the bridge pickup slanted at about a 30degree angle? does this mean it has a spot for a humbucker?
Timbit: No, you don't.

It's slanted because:

1. It looks cool.
2. It gives the treble strings more trebly-ness than the bass strings (tone stuff).

There may or may not be a space for a humbucker. Like I said, strats are routed in several ways.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 24, 2009,
hmm, I just hope it's not pool routed cause I am going to repaint it, and put designs on it which the pickguard will interfere with.
What model Squier is it? If it's an Affinity Strat, it'll more than likely be routed HSH. Actually, I think most Squiers are routed HSH.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
ok ill post a pic but only because im not 100% confident theyll be up in a little bit
If you have a recent Squier Affinity Strat (past three years or so I'm guessing, mine is a 2008), it should be HSH routed.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I just found out that it is HSS from a helpful Google search.
I can make it so it will be able to not have a pickguard with some modifications I will have to do, like re-routing it so theres a ridge/edge that i can glue a piece of wood over.
here it is the pic might be small because i had to take it on my phone because i couldnt find the cord for my camera

edit: wow thats a lot smaller than i thought itd be ill upload a bigger one later
Last edited by zchavez09 at Feb 24, 2009,
On the worst case, you can always put a single sized HB like hot rails or JB Jr in the bridge.