I've come across the question as to what makes a Pop Punk band good. With other genres I can understand how it's heavily based on skill such as in metal, jazz, etc, but seeing as Punk itself for the most part doesn't have much 'show-off'ness, much less Pop Punk, I just don't get it. I prefer many bands over different bands, but I just don't understand what makes Green Day or Blink so amazingly unique when for the most part it's just power chords. I understand that you can be creative with power chords too, but there must be something else that can propel a band to that magnitude of popularity and success besides that.

So I put it to you UG, what is it that makes a Pop Punk band so successful?
It, like punk, is muuuuuch more lyric driven than say metal. Lyrics and melodies are what make a pop punk band good within the genre
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

But alot of bands like Blink or The Descendents have stupidly simple lyrics that I could've written in junior high that just sound at times as if there was little effort put in to it.
Quote by Jx210
But alot of bands like Blink or The Descendents have stupidly simple lyrics that I could've written in junior high that just sound at times as if there was little effort put in to it.

The Descendents were in high school when they started writing the songs for Milo Goes to College and thats whats great. Its easy for young people like myself to get into songs that I can actually relate to. A song from the perspective of a lonely 18 year old who just wants a date or a guy who is sick of being made fun of cause he has glasses and likes science is a lot easier to relate to then a guy shouting in monotone about politics and science. I like both brands of punk but I would say its the creativity, sincerity and relatability that makes great pop punk lyrics. Musically, its a lot easier to get into pop punk because its a bit more melodic and the homogeneity of modern pop punk helps too. People don't like new and fresh- they like tired and rehashed.
Quote by saxaxe
Lyrics, catchiness, passion, innovation, live performance, the ability to sound nothing like All Time Low, etc etc.

...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by mcraddict81592
It, like punk, is muuuuuch more lyric driven than say metal. Lyrics and melodies are what make a pop punk band good within the genre

I would disagree and say the "retainability" of such things (which isn't a real word)

I mean that the hooks and teenage-esque lyrics stick with you
you remember them and you love them and relate to them
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by waldorphPRS41
There needs to be more talk about the Descendents in here.

Yeah, way too many kiddies call stuff like Green Day and Blink 182 first wave pop punk.
Pop punk isn't really meant to be technical or show-offy. It's meant to be fun, catchy, and easy to relate to in my opinion. You might not enjoy pop punk, and that's fine, but if you look at its other aspects aside from simplicity you might enjoy it more.
Quote by Kurasuke
Yeah, way too many kiddies call stuff like Green Day and Blink 182 first wave pop punk.

Descendents aren't either
Quote by original=punk
Descendents aren't either

Where in my post did I say that?
Quote by Kurasuke
Where in my post did I say that?

You must have implied it, because, to be honest, I thought you meant you thought they were, too.
-

Quote by Aléx
You must have implied it, because, to be honest, I thought you meant you thought they were, too.

I could see where you think I implied it. There were some from before like The Buzzcocks and co but I usually like to overemphasize the importance of the Descendents cause they are better than all those other bands. My main point, though, is that the Descendents released their great album like 7 years before Greenday ever played a show.
Quote by Kurasuke

I agree. The only first wave pop punk band I can name is probably the Ramones, but there could be some even eariler than that.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
im to lazy to quote it but, dude that said the abilty to sound nothin like all time low D: i luv them!

n yeahh mainly the catchiness, lyrics, upbeatness, idk haha but i like it
"dear gravity, you've held me down in this starless city."