I've tried everything to get a smooth tone out of the bridge pickup (seeing as I don't have a neck pickup). Why does it sound like wakka wakka when I play?
it sounds like "wakka wakka" because the bridge pickup "picks up" the vibration of the strings at where they are more constant [if i've got the idea right]

so you are getting a very bright and sharp tone from the guitar becuase of this bridge pick up.
roll off the tone a bit.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
turn down ur tone knob...
if you have one.
I'm the musical equivalent of driving a Sherman tank to work.
Quote by llanafreak44
I've tried everything to get a smooth tone out of the bridge pickup (seeing as I don't have a neck pickup). Why does it sound like wakka wakka when I play?

well make sure your tone doesnt have too much treble. i keep mine around 6. then you can back it off on the guitar if you wish. i was kinda wondering the same thing and i seemed to fix it. i dont know how much it will help you though because you dont have my gear and you arent me but ill tell you what might help.

thick picks. in general i find they give a rounder, thicker tone.

thicker strings. thicker strings arent as twangy. i use 12's. but i dont think you need to go that high. but if you use 8's or 9's, you might want to go up to 10's or 11's. or maybe just light tops heavy bottoms. (10-52)

i put a lot of bass and mids in my sound. to be exact, i put them both to 10 and i put on my mid boost swicth on my amp to boost the mids some more. makes the tone thicker.

i keep the tone knob on my OD pedal pretty warm. around the 8 or 9 o clock position or lower depending on the guitar.

the other thing i did was started using my dirty channel more. i used to just plug into the clean and just work from there. i never liked the sound of my amps OD too much so i never used it. but now i use it more or less as the clean channel. i keep the gain low, around just before break up, and turn the level up. then i turn on my OD pedal. but because im using the drive channel, it makes the sound much warmer and smoother. it makes my bridge pickup sound more eric johnsonish which is pretty smooth imo (listen to cliffs of dover at austin and you'll hear what mean).

so im not sure how much that helps but thats what i do and i think its what gave me a smoother tone. i think it also has to do with how you pick. the angle will change the sound. also, picking closer to the bridge or further away from it changes the sound. i usually pick in front of the middle pickup. so more or less between the neck PU and the middle PU but closer to the middle.