I am planning on ordering a guitar from Musician's Friend. I live in central Saskatchewan, Canada. I know that MF is based out of the states, but they ship to Canada.

I have a few questions to fire off.
1. I am going to buy the Alvarez RD20SC. It has a solid spruce top. I don't know if I should get a humidifier for it or not. I have not idea what the humidity in my area is. I'll include a picture of a humidity map and can someone please tell me if I should get a humidifier or if I'll even need one at all?
2. What time of year is best to buy a guitar? Which time of year will be the most "stable" and cause the least amount of neck warping, etc.?
3. Will the change in climate and weather, moisture, etc. from the US to my location cause problems with the neck, woods, etc.?

Here is a humidity map. I live somewhere within the red circle. From the relative humidity shown, can someone please tell me if I'll need a humidifier or not?

Map link.
http://www.findlocalweather.com/weather_maps/humidity_canada.html

I'm in about the middle of Saskatchewan. It's the province that's basically a rectangle.
Isn't red lower humidity?!? IDK. I have no issues and I live in Hawaii. For me, the best time is tax return season...
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
1. I am going to buy the Alvarez RD20SC. It has a solid spruce top. I don't know if I should get a humidifier for it or not. I have not idea what the humidity in my area is. I'll include a picture of a humidity map and can someone please tell me if I should get a humidifier or if I'll even need one at all?

Im not even gonna bother looking. You're in Canada, Im guessing it gets below freezing. If it does, you need one.

2. What time of year is best to buy a guitar? Which time of year will be the most "stable" and cause the least amount of neck warping, etc.?

This is impossible for me to answer as I live in Australia and know next to nothing about the climate you live in. Honestly though, if I were to say that January is the best time of year to buy are you really gonna wait 11 months? Buy it whenever, Im sure youll be able to deal with the humidity levels no matter what they are.

3. Will the change in climate and weather, moisture, etc. from the US to my location cause problems with the neck, woods, etc.?

I think you'll be fine. If there's a problem, send it back.
Christ, just buy the d@mn thing! Your neck isnt going to warp from a couple day trip from the states. Warping happens over time, and I agree if its cold as hell and dry in the winter, get a humidifier.
Feb-april are the low times on ebay (Buyers market).

Fall/before christmas is sellers market.

Generally summer has some good deals as well.
Just buy a guitar. You won't have to worry about neck-warpage, and if the guitar does end up being damaged, you can send it back at no cost for a full refund or a replacement.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm just asking questions in the mean time while I wait until I have the extra cash to buy the damn guitar. I feel sort of OCD asking so many questions... I should take the forum's advice and stop worrying so damn much.

Just a couple more months... then I can order.
1. I've never understood how someone can buy a guitar off the Internet. A guitar store full of the exact same model of guitar, and everyone will sound slightly different. When I bought my Alvarez, 4 of the exact model on the wall... everyone sounded different... I got the one I liked.

2. Local Music stores bring in the guitars to Canada with little to no difference on the exchange rate. IE. A Taylor 310 CE on musicians friend is $1550 USD which makes it $1860 CAD plus you'll get dinged for GST and PST making over $2000. If you buy local, you'll pay $1550 CAD and you tell the guy you don't want to pay tax.

3. What you buy locally will already be a acclimatized, not that I think that's a serious issue

4. Even better, find something used on local classified because then it's already devaluated and you don't lose money as soon as you buy it.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Last edited by Milez5858 at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by Milez5858
1. I've never understood how someone can buy a guitar off the Internet. A guitar store full of the exact same model of guitar, and everyone will sound slightly different. When I bought my Alvarez, 4 of the exact model on the wall... everyone sounded different... I got the one I liked.

2. Local Music stores bring in the guitars to Canada with little to no difference on the exchange rate. IE. A Taylor 310 CE on musicians friend is $1550 USD which makes it $1860 CAD plus you'll get dinged for GST and PST making over $2000. If you buy local, you'll pay $1550 CAD and you tell the guy you don't want to pay tax.

3. What you buy locally will already be a acclimatized, not that I think that's a serious issue

4. Even better, find something used on local classified because then it's already devaluated and you don't lose money as soon as you buy it.

This has been debated tons on the electric guitar forum and probably here too so I won't say too much, but there are merits to both ways. Buying online is extremely convenient, often has cheaper prices (you may have a store who waves taxes and lowers price to compete, but many local stores dont do that), and Musiciansfriend has a 45 day no questions asked return policy. If you don't mind the inconvenience of actually having to return something, there is simply no risk to buying it online. Every guitar I've bought online has been flawless, and sounded amazing. Yeah, you can't hear 4 of the exact same thing side by side, but then again your guitar has never been touched either. It arrives packaged straight from the manufacturer.

Just this year I have purchased a Fender American Strat, and a Alvarez PD80sc from Musiciansfriend. Both were either on clearance or offering some kind of deal like a free Fender stool, the fender was as perfect as it gets. The Alvarez comes this week! Both were 1 year 0% financing so I can pay off at my own pace.

There are many people who order online and there is no "right way" to buy an instrument.
I would go to a music store... but I have scoured the 'net and Alvarez's site, and there are NO DEALERS in Canada that I can find.
There are a couple of Alvarez dealers in Edmonton alone.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
So 369 USD is $443 Canadian, and this guitar is exactly $443 at Axe Music in Edmonton.

www.axemusic.com By the time it hits your door, and you pay tax, and depending on who the shipping company is, you sometimes have to pay a cross border fee, you're looking at $475 - $500 CAD. If you go to a store, you should be able to offer $400 and tell 'em no GST.

Obviouly the less the base price of the guitar, the less you are saving, but you're supporting your local economy, and most music stores will give you a year of free setup and maintenance if you're not yet comfortable with doing that yourself.

My Yairi, would have been close to $700 more through musicians friend than it was locally at RKM music.

I realize you're in Sask, and maybe it's worth $50 to $100 bucks not to bother dinking around with all the calling etc it might take to find a store within a couple hundred kilometers that has what your looking for.
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

It should also be noted that you will rarely pay the full RRP of any guitar. Of course guitar stores have to advertise certain prices as to not undercut their competitors (Restrictive Trade Practices Law), but I personally have never paid the full price on the tag. So the price gap between internet buying and store buying isn't as great as you may think.

Someone mentioned above that the guitar hasn't been played, that it comes from the factory. This doesn't not ensure that you're buying the best guitar of that model, merely that it's new, which should be expected.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Milez5858
So 369 USD is $443 Canadian, and this guitar is exactly $443 at Axe Music in Edmonton.

www.axemusic.com By the time it hits your door, and you pay tax, and depending on who the shipping company is, you sometimes have to pay a cross border fee, you're looking at $475 - $500 CAD. If you go to a store, you should be able to offer $400 and tell 'em no GST.

Obviouly the less the base price of the guitar, the less you are saving, but you're supporting your local economy, and most music stores will give you a year of free setup and maintenance if you're not yet comfortable with doing that yourself.

My Yairi, would have been close to $700 more through musicians friend than it was locally at RKM music.

I realize you're in Sask, and maybe it's worth $50 to $100 bucks not to bother dinking around with all the calling etc it might take to find a store within a couple hundred kilometers that has what your looking for.

They have Alvarez in Axe Music? FINALLY! A Canadian reseller. I'm hoping Mother's Music and/or Long And McQuade carries Alvarez as well, because both of those stores are in Saskatoon... only a 3 or 4 hour drive.