Not exactly sure if this goes here or not.

How do you play the duration of a note?

I.E. in 4/4 time signature.
Each of these are a quarter note.

e---------------0--
B-----------1------
G------0-----------
D--2---------------
A------------------
E------------------

I'm learning in my music theory class that a quarter note in 4/4 last for a duration of one beat. So do I play the E on the D string and then take my finger off of it? If that's the case, how would I stop the open G from playing for 3 counts?
Mute the string after its done (lightly touch it to make it stop ringing). Normally removing a finger mutes the string if you remove slowly enough before you fully release the string (eg; slow down just before you finally unfret) (otherwise you do a pull off)

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by ARYANMETALFIST
lol

Laugh out loud?
Lots of love?
Loss of life?

I mean... what you said was very constructive and I'm sure the TS will be very grateful for your wonderful and helpful advice.

(Can someone ban him/her yet?)

Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Laugh out loud?
Lots of love?
Loss of life?

I mean... what you said was very constructive and I'm sure the TS will be very grateful for your wonderful and helpful advice.

(Can someone ban him/her yet?)

bro how do i freakin keep the g string from playing!!! thanks
Quote by ARYANMETALFIST

I answered that in my first post.

Thanks Invokke_Havokk for the fast reply! Is it absolutely necessary to mute the string after the duration? It's quiet hard to do . But I guess it takes time and practice like anything else.
Quote by Chowshu
Thanks Invokke_Havokk for the fast reply! Is it absolutely necessary to mute the string after the duration? It's quiet hard to do . But I guess it takes time and practice like anything else.

Practice, practice, practice.

(In most cases you will "naturally" mute the note after playing it, if you learn how to "remove" your finger.)

Also, generally, I have found few songs that I play require me to mute the note with any effort. If the note needs to be muted, I'm normally playing a different note (eg; 6 to 8) on the same string, I switched strings down and muted the previous string naturally, or I switched strings up and muted the previous string naturally.

When I play, I don't concentrate on muting, it just happens. (Unless I need to palm mute, or the song actually requires you to mute the string(s), in which case you rest your finger on the string that needs to be muted)

Quote by ARYANMETALFIST

he didnt even say that. he said "how would I stop the open G from playing for 3 counts? "

anyways, you could mute that string by using either your fretting finger, or your palm. try either and see which is easier to do. for the fretting finger, just lean the finger on the open string after playing it so that it stops ringing. im thinking palm muting would be easier though. or you could play the same notes somewhere else so that there arent any open strings.