I know this question is highly subjective, but I would just like some opinions.

I'm selling my current guitars, and with that money and maybe a little more, I would like to get another guitar.

I like what I've seen of both guitars, but the dilemma is:

I've tried the Ibanez before, and I've owned an RG Prestige, but I've never played a Carvin nor will I be able to.

Under other circumstances I would just go for the Ibanez, but for $150 USD more, I can get a custom guitar.

I've also observed that many musicians (amateurs and professionals) use Ibanez's but I don't know any who use Carvin's. Is this an indication of anything?
Go for the S5470. I have one, and it's ****ing amazing. You will love it.

The action is perfect, the string tension is just right, and it has the best floyd rose in existence. Because of the stop bar, you can drastically change your tuning (I'm talking a few whole steps) across all strings almost as fast as someone without a locking nut.

The guitar is built around ease of use and convenience. The spring tension adjustment screw is accessible without opening the back plate and there's an allen wrench holder on the back of the headstock for the locking nut and for replacing strings.

Oh, and did I mention, it sounds ****ing great? A lot of people think it wouldn't because of its thin body, but the mahogany more than compensates for any tone that may have been lost. It's also light as a feather.

Goddamn, I sound like an Ibanez spokesman. I'm not, though. Just someone utterly in love with his guitar.

EDIT: I thought I'd add this in here. When in lower tunings, even if you don't put a higher string gauge on (I was in C# standard for about 2 weeks with .09's), the strings remain taut. I don't know how, but they do. No floppiness.
Last edited by SlashYourFug at Feb 23, 2009,
Carvin. I plan to order a SH550 or California Single later in the year myself. I've played several and never been disappointed. Not to mention you don't have to compromise on features quite as much. What model were you thinking of getting?
Quote by The 1
I've also observed that many musicians (amateurs and professionals) use Ibanez's but I don't know any who use Carvin's. Is this an indication of anything?

Lots of musicians use or have used Carvin products - Allan Holdsworth, Tony Macalpine, Joe Walsh, Black Stone Cherry, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai and Alex Lifeson, to name a few.
Depends. I would go for the Carvin because the quality far exceeds the price, while the Ibanez I believe the quality equals the price. also I don't like the super thin neck. a Carvin neck to me feels about like a cross between Ibanez and Fender, almost like a PRS. That's perfect to me, not too thin, not too thick. The Carvin I'm referring to is a DC-127 btw.
Quote by stratman7
Depends. I would go for the Carvin because the quality far exceeds the price, while the Ibanez I believe the quality equals the price. also I don't like the super thin neck. a Carvin neck to me feels about like a cross between Ibanez and Fender, almost like a PRS. That's perfect to me, not too thin, not too thick. The Carvin I'm referring to is a DC-127 btw.

As far as price goes, something to keep in mind: this isn't a $1,400 guitar, it's a $3,600 guitar, but they'll give it to you for $1,400. Where it says "list price," that's the kind of guitar you're paying for. If you were to happen across one in a store, it would command a huge price, but because it's sold direct, you can get it for less.

Also, I do believe varying models have varying neck profiles. You can probably ask the Carvin forums if you want moree specific info on that.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Feb 23, 2009,
Quote by Flying Couch
As far as price goes, something to keep in mind: this isn't a $1,400 guitar, it's a $3,600 guitar, but they'll give it to you for $1,400. Where it says "list price," that's the kind of guitar you're paying for. If you were to happen across one in a store, it would command a huge price, but because it's sold direct, you can get it for less.

Also, I do believe varying models have varying neck profiles. You can probably ask the Carvin forums if you want moree specific info on that.

Good point. Buying a DC-127 sight unseen and unplayed was the best decision I ever made, though. Incredible guitar. Yeah, I realize the different models have varying neck profiles. But the DC series I believe is the most similar to the Ibanez in question.

My next guitar will be a Carvin CS4, btw. In black with gold hardware.

EDIT:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/single.php?Serial=98769

Man I wish I had $1800 laying around. That quilt is amazing...
Last edited by stratman7 at Feb 23, 2009,
The Carvin I was looking at was the DC-127

The one I want would run $1439.99 USD whereas the Ibanez would run $1299.99
I don't own either an Ibanez or a Carvin...

But I know several Carvin guitar and amp owners- not a dissatisfied person among them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Flying Couch
Where it says "list price", that's what they want you to think you're saving on it, so you'd buy it more eagerly. Please, no twin humbucker set neck chunk of mahogany with a tune-o-matic is worth anything close to $3600, no matter how nice the figured top is.

In the S5470 you're getting a very well made piece of fairly unique gadget-loaded guitar engineering, while in a Carvin you're getting a very well made, yet bog standard guitar. Nothing particularly wrong with either, Carvins are very good value for something that's customized to your liking.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
Please, no twin humbucker set neck chunk of mahogany with a tune-o-matic is worth anything close to $3600, no matter how nice the figured top is.

http://www.gibson.com/Slash/Gibson%20USA/SlashLesPaulStandard/

or

http://www.ruokangas.com/

You may not think its worth that kind of money, but that LP and others are frequently priced in that range. Smaller boutique makers like Ruokangas also frequently hit that price range.

And, FWIW, there were two boutique Tele knock-offs in a recent Guitar Player issue that were both over $4K, as I recall.

Presumably, in each case, you're paying for name, yes, but also for quality of manufacture and materials.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
http://www.gibson.com/Slash/Gibson%20USA/SlashLesPaulStandard/
or
http://www.ruokangas.com/

You may not think its worth that kind of money, but that LP and others are frequently priced in that range. Smaller boutique makers like Ruokangas also frequently hit that price range.

And, FWIW, there were two boutique Tele knock-offs in a recent Guitar Player issue that were both over $4K, as I recall.

Presumably, in each case, you're paying for name, yes, but also for quality of manufacture and materials.
I should have highlighted the worth parth. In my opinion, Carvins are sold for what they're worth, as far as fairly custom MIA guitars go. Gibsons are sold for what they're worth times the headstock logo multiplier. Which is about two times what they're worth. Generally, when you go into the $2000+ territory, there are very very few instruments that actually pack the features to back up the price, and Gibbos sure aren't anywhere close to justifying their costs.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Feb 24, 2009,
You will get a better value with Carvin for sure. If you want all the bells and whistles you can put them on the guitar (which I assume you would, considering the one you want is 1400 bucks). The pros of the ibanez I guess would be that you can try before you buy and dont have to wait 2 months to get it. I say go for the carvin.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by pifty
I should have highlighted the worth parth.

Which is why I did!

I understand, though- I'm that way about cars.

As the opening salvo in a sales pitch, I was once asked if I had the money to buy any car I wanted, what would I buy.

I said "A Volvo." (which is what I was driving at the time).

Stunned, the salesman asked me about Lambourghinis and the like- why not one of those?

I responded that, despite my love of their appearance and technological advancements, such cars would be a waste of money for me, and impractical to boot. I happen to love European and Japanese sports sedans with automatic transmissions and a great safety record.

(Besides, you can't haul around a guitar in the trunk of most of those kinds of cars anyway.)

For some, no guitar over $1000 USD is worth it. For others, pricey axes have a siren song they can only resist so long as they don't have the money.

I'm in the middle. Of my 4 electrics, 3 are over $1K, and one of those is over $2K. And of those top 3, each was originally priced over $3K, but I didn't pay that much for any of them.

Quote by bean-o
The pros of the ibanez I guess would be that you can try before you buy and dont have to wait 2 months to get it.
I reckon the pros of the Ibanez is a unique body shape and unique hardware that you aren't going to get on anything but the Ibanez, then everything else.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Which is why I did!

I understand, though...
Word up. There are definitely different kinds of expensive guitars. There are things like Gibbos and PRS, which for all their quality of materials and assembly, are still very simple guitars with a lot of status attached to the brand. In the end, ESP makes Gibson knockoffs which feel no worse than the real thing to me, and I'd wager have the same levels of quality, but cost less. It's like the German luxury cars of guitars. Expensive, has status, but nothing you won't get in a Lexus or Infiniti at way a lower MSRP. Yet still, some are pretty cool, and I'd pick one up used if the price is right.

Then you have the other kind of an expensive guitar, like Parker. A Fly just isn't the kind of thing you can cobble together in your basement even with a very extensive set of tools. Everything about making that guitar is absolutely arcane - carbon fiber body finish, custom made truss rod, ridiculously thin yet resonant body, amazing and unique trem, and the whole nine yards in electronics - and all of it put together is easily worth $2000 to me even before I think about the bling factor of owning a Parker guitar. And the basic ones cost less than that. A Fly would be the kind of car which has the comfort of a Lexus, the maneuverability of a Lotus, acceleration of a GTR, capacity of a school bus, and the size of a moped. I'd buy that. There are unfortunately very few other makers out there which offer these kinds of idiosyncrasies on their guitars.
Last edited by pifty at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by pifty
I reckon the pros of the Ibanez is a unique body shape and unique hardware that you aren't going to get on anything but the Ibanez, then everything else.

Word up. There are definitely different kinds of expensive guitars. There are things like Gibbos and PRS, which for all their quality of materials and assembly, are still very simple guitars with a lot of status attached to the brand. In the end, ESP makes Gibson knockoffs which feel no worse than the real thing to me, and I'd wager have the same levels of quality, but cost less. It's like the German luxury cars of guitars. Expensive, has status, but nothing you won't get in a Lexus or Infiniti at way a lower MSRP. Yet still, some are pretty cool, and I'd pick one up used if the price is right.

Then you have the other kind of an expensive guitar, like Parker. A Fly just isn't the kind of thing you can cobble together in your basement even with a very extensive set of tools. Everything about making that guitar is absolutely arcane - carbon fiber body finish, custom made truss rod, ridiculously thin yet resonant body, amazing and unique trem, and the whole nine yards in electronics - and all of it put together is easily worth $2000 to me even before I think about the bling factor of owning a Parker guitar. And the basic ones cost less than that. A Fly would be the kind of car which has the comfort of a Lexus, the maneuverability of a Lotus, acceleration of a GTR, capacity of a school bus, and the size of a moped. I'd buy that. There are unfortunately very few other makers out there which offer these kinds of idiosyncrasies on their guitars.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^^ Pifty all your talk about Parkers is going to give me some serious GAS for another which I really can't afford right now, lol.
ME WANT PARKER FLY!

I got to play one of their prototypes at a convention. I swear I could have lifted it with my eyebrow. They're like guitar-shaped colored air.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
ME WANT PARKER FLY!

I got to play one of their prototypes at a convention. I swear I could have lifted it with my eyebrow. They're like guitar-shaped colored air.
They're guitar shaped?

With Parkers, people usually see them and think "That can't be comofortable", then pick them up, and think "Oh, this can't possibly sustain", then look at the dimensions, go "Huh, the tone of this thing must be thinner than Kate Moss on a crack binge". But the ones who have the patience to go through the bases and plug it in usually pull out the credit card, or wish they had one as the case might be, once they realize that the guitar is just a collection of false impressions. The looks grow on you too.

And, to the TS: get the Ibanez.
CARVIN FTW.

(nuff said)
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
though i love ibanez, get the carvin
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could