Lately I've been having pains just below my knuckles, basically centered in my hand, and some wrist pain as well. I've been playing for almost 2 years now. I've never really had pains like this before. I've been working to pick up speed, ect, through fast runs over the past few months. Is poor technique basically the only reason I'm getting these pains? I try to keep my wrist straight while playing as much as possible, and I don't hold my guitar very low at all. I did go up a gauge in strings about a month and a half ago, but I only went from 9s to a heavy bottom 10 set. I usually just try to put the guitar down and wait the pain out..
get an xray bro, you may have enflamation

Please use tags for tabs....
Damnit. I spent a bit of time trying to follow Freepower's posture thing. My technique definitly isnt perfect, but my question is, can this be caused solely by playing guitar, or is it as a result of just trying to play fast without total proper technique. There are times where i catch myself bending with my wrist strength by accident so..
Quote by Watterboy
Damnit. I spent a bit of time trying to follow Freepower's posture thing. My technique definitly isnt perfect, but my question is, can this be caused solely by playing guitar, or is it as a result of just trying to play fast without total proper technique. There are times where i catch myself bending with my wrist strength by accident so..

im guessing you mean in your fretting hand is where the pain is? i think you may be pressing too hard. i used to do this and my index would actually get swollen in the morning and id have to crack it all the time. but then i worked on my technique and it went away. so if thats the problem, focus on applying only enough force to make the string ring out and nothing more. a lot of times people tense up when trying to play faster.

also, you are suposed to use your wrist while bending. maybe thats where your problem is. and your wrist pain im not sure of. what do you mean when you keep your wrist straight? do you mean in line with your arm?
I've had those pains too along with some wicked wrist pain that would come and go. Just take it easy when the pain is there. Take some time off. It can suck if you have a live show. Don't push it!
AL
Quote by Watterboy

You are supposed to bend with your wrist, don't bend with your fingers. What do you mean by keeping your wrist straight when picking?
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Stretches before you work on your speed.

Dont work on your speed run practice for like 30 mins even.. I think id be right in saying do it in short bursts, but more of them?

And on a kind of related topic; Im getting a shoulder cramp when im playing sitting down...It doesnt take long for it to come on if im sitting at my comp, staring at the screen or something. Just noodling mostly aswell...Is this down to my sitting posture?