So i'm putting in new pickups and a mid boost circuit(not guitarfetish) and I realize that on all the diagrams, the pickup selector has like 4 lugs on one side and 4 on the other, whereas, mine has all 8 on one side. How do I go about figuring out how to match up my lugs with the ones on the diagram.
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
Alright, I see that now, so when I look at the diagram, I see this...
Diagram 1

There are only wires going to one side of the switch. On your switch diagram, I see the corresponding pup connections, but what about the volume and tone lugs on your diagram, does nothing connect to those with this? All I do is connect the pups to the switch and that one wire going to the TBX control and one from the circuit?

Actually if I look at another diagram it looks like this...

Diagram 2

It only has the one wire going to the TBX. Diagram 1 has a wire going to the TBX and one from the circuit board. Which do I do, i'm confused.
Last edited by tremonti9482 at Feb 24, 2009,
You only use half the switch with this mid-boost thing.

Those diagrams are the same, just drawn slightly differently. The TBX is in parallel to the switch and the mid-boost. The wires can either be both on the switch, both on the TBX, or w/e. It's electrically all the same.

Still with me?
Kind of... I wired all of it up, and I know i have all the circuit wires in the right spots and everything but when i plug it up, if i hit a note, it just gives me a buzzing noise, no pitch, and i can tell something is happening when i twist the non tbx tone knob but i cant figure out what it is
Any suggestions?
What I was saying before is that you can use either of those diagrams.

From the lack of info given me (coughpicscough) all I can say at this point is recheck your solder joints and test the connections. What about the battery? Cable? Amp?
alright...I will take some pics and post them within 24 hours, so either pics or a reply that i fixed it will be on here in 24 hours if you wouldn't care to check please.
This is my only option at getting help on this if you could take a look please.
Is the black wire on the TBX going to the switch common?

Is the black wire on the wiper of the Mid pot going to the tip of the jack?

Other than that, I don't see anything wrong. Did you ever check the battery? Or that the battery is hooked up correctly?
I'm not sure what you mean by common on the first one, that black wire is going to the 2nd lug from the left on the switch.

I'm also not sure what the wiper of the mid pot is haha but I do know that there isn't a wire going from the mid pot to the jack, i believe I now have a wire from the TBX going to the jack.

Also, the 2 wires i have going from the TBX to the mid to the left lug on the volume, does that ground everything? or do I need it to go to the pot casing on the volume as well?
The battery is brand new and the battery wires were hooked up already, I just had to put one side of it onto the jack.

Now that I think about it, maybe the wires are grounding out on my shielding, is that an option? If it is how can I prevent that? Just a thought....
Last edited by tremonti9482 at Feb 26, 2009,
Yeah, It has to go on the 4th lug from the left (read the 4th post in the UWD thread to learn about switches).

The wiper is the second lug. Google "The secret life of pots" and read the article. Very informative.

I don't know what you mean by that last part...

edit: Un-do all the wiring and redo it EXACTLY according to Diagram 2 up there in your other post.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 26, 2009,
Alright, I think I mainly used that diagram, but I did throw in some things from the other one too so i'll go back and do it that way. So no wires go from the volume pot to the switch, and i'm only using 4 total lugs on the switch, just to get that clear.

I also need the wire that goes to the input jack to be on the mid pot, the TBX i see now too.

The last part wasn't very clear, sorry, I mean...you see the wire that goes from the pot casing on the TBX, to the mid knob casing, then to the volume casing on diagram 2? Does it need to go to the casing like this diagram or the right lug like diagram 1?
REmove all the wires going from casing to casing. Those are making ground loops because the foil is already connecting them. Lug 3 of the pot (when looking at the back) should be grounded. Just bend it up and solder it to the casing.
Oh ok so there shouldn't be any wires at all going from casing to casing, and just one going from the 3rd lug of the volume pot to the casing correct? After that, it's going to be exactly like diagram 2?
Yuss. Bear in mind, though, that you'd have to have the casings connected if ther was no foil, but as I said, you're right.

And try to be neater with your soldering. Make sure they don't form cold joints (make sure they're shiny).
Haha yeahhh this is my first soldering project, I think the majority are alright but soldering to those pots were killing me so I just got them on there however I could lol Thank you so much for the help, i'm going to do it in approximately an hour, as soon as I get home so if it doesn't work still i'll be back on here I guess. But hopefully it works, i'll redo the bad solder joints
I can't help, but I just wanted to say that that is an awesome paint job.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Ha thank you Chuckflan.

The board is the green circuit board there at the top of most of the pictures. I'm not getting any sound at all of out it. but sometimes I can turn the knobs and itll be a little fuzzier on the amp cause of the mid boost going I guess. I also have a pop when I pull the cord out of the jack. I tried rearranging the jack wiring too, maybe I did that wrong. Or is it possible that something is grounding out on my shielding in the cavity? It's a pretty tight fit under there.
That sounds like an option since you're fairly sure I wired it right and I feel like I have it all in the right spot too. So how would I go about fixing it from shorting out?
Alright, I put mats of electrical tape on the bottom and top of the PCB and I even wrapped part of the walls with electrical tape cause it's a tight fit and I now have noise coming out but I don't feel like its the right noises. The knobs just add fuzz and static when I twist them. The volume knob works though! ha I don't know what to do really now.
Hmmm I think i'm going to take the circuit out and see if I can get the pickups to work for now at least. I'm dying to play this thing. I think i'll take it to my guitar shop here and see if they can see what's wrong too so if I fix it i'll let you know.