I rewired the bottommost tone control to my bridge pickup so that it cuts the treble in the bridge instead of middle pickup. This has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Looking at the wiring in my guitar, it looks fine. And I know the middle pickup is reverse wound reverse polarity because when it's selected with my neck pickup there's hum cancellation. However when I select the bridge and middle pickups simultaneously, the hum is reinforced. As in, it gets louder.

Is this because my bridge pickup is wired assbackwards? Color-wise it's correct, but... I dunno. I really didn't want to test to see if this was the case because all the pickups are soldered to the same spot and it'd be a mess to switch the wires on it. I'd rather just ask.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's grounded properly. As properly as most people would argue anyway.
Sounds like a phase problem to me.

Is the N/M combo alright? If so, the bridge pup is reversed. If the B/M and N/M combos are BOTH noisier, the middle pup is at fault.
It's not N/M. N/M is silent. B/M is noisier than B, M or N by themselves. What's the difference between reverse wound and reverse polarity? Can I fix this by switching each wire from the bridge pickup to it's respective place?
Just swap the bridge pup's wires. If that makes it worse, then it isn't a phase problem.

'Reverse-wound' refers to the electrical polarity, 'reverse-polarity' refers to the magnet polarity.

If a pup's electrical and magnetic polarity are mis-matched, it'll sound out of phase.
So it's as I suspected and feared. Thank you, Invader Jim. You're like a super hero. Invisible and speedy and all-knowing.
Quote by dz_alias
Is this because my bridge pickup is wired assbackwards?
It could be the bridge pickup is wired bassackwards.

It might also be the NECK pickup is RWRP and both the Middle and Bridge are normal.

Easiest test before you even touch the wiring? Check the pickups with a magnet.
The whichever direction the magnet tends to attract or repel from the top of the pole-pieces tells you relative polarity. The middle should be opposite and the neck and middle should be alike. If this is incorrect, you need to change the location of the pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Invader Jim
Feared? It's a simple fix...

I was obviously being dramatic. Don't be so literal, my friend.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It could be the bridge pickup is wired bassackwards.

Bassackwards...

From a logical perspective the most likely error is that the wires were switched, as this would be the easiest mistake to make. Unless of course my middle and neck pickups got switched. In which case the neck pickup in conjunction with my bridge pickup mod I do pretty soon'll let me know fo sho. Your magnet idea is noted. I think I've one up in the attic.

My guitar is at a local music store right now. They're trying to see how it'd do with a Floyd Rose sitting in it. The threads on my trem block got striped, so why not replace the whole thing with a crazy ass FR? Rock on.

Quote by dz_alias
I rewired the bottommost tone control to my bridge pickup so that it cuts the treble in the bridge instead of middle pickup.

Regarding this, it's funny how thin the bridge pickup is. After rolling off the treble, there's almost nothing left!
Quote by dz_alias
Regarding this, it's funny how thin the bridge pickup is. After rolling off the treble, there's almost nothing left!
it comes with the territory. close to the bridge there is little deflection of the strings and the harmonic content is high. filter out the harmonics and the fundamental itself is weak.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
If the bridge and neck were working out of phase together, would the bridge's normally emphasized harmonics be present along with the neck's? As in a slightly beefier bridge sound (or slightly brighter neck sound)? Either way I'm going to try it out, but I'm just curious.
Quote by dz_alias
If the bridge and neck were working out of phase together,
bridge and neck isn't a standard combo on a strat, regardless of phase.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
bridge and neck isn't a standard combo on a strat, regardless of phase.

I'm aware. Hence the total modage I'm gonna do to it. I thought I mentioned it but apparently not.

Regardless, if the neck is RWRP, in conjunction with my supposedely-in-a-perfect-world non-RWRP bridge, it should cancel, correct? But the harmonics it'd cancel would be those that are common to each, right?
your neck and bridge are both supposed to be normal, not rwrp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
your neck and bridge are both supposed to be normal, not rwrp.

I know man. But you let on to the possibility of having my neck pickup being RWRP. Even though in all likely hood my bridge is wired bassackwards.

So in this pretend world, with a reverse wound reverse polarity neck PUP, when used with the bridge PUP (which is possible because in this fantasy world I also made the modification), would the bridge's bright tone add to the neck's more... fundamental middy sound?
Iirc, you can't have two like magnetic polarities next to each other, or they'll cancel out and you'll get nothing from the pups.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, someone.
Is iirc "if I recall correctly" or "if I remember correctly?" Or is it one of those things open to debate?
Quote by Invader Jim
It's the same thing, dude...

You shouldn't use that which you don't understand. It could be deadly. It may very well mean "I invented rectal cancer."

The more tired I am, the more less sense making of do I become thus forward.

Either way, if the magnets do cancel, I could still diagnose which way the magnet is polarized. Unless you're just asking for trivial purposes.
Quote by Invader Jim
Iirc, you can't have two like magnetic polarities next to each other, or they'll cancel out and you'll get nothing from the pups.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, someone.
consider it done.

like magnetic polarities right next to each other is no problem. won't hurt a thing.
out of phase next to each other is bad juju, though.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by dz_alias
Either way, if the magnets do cancel, I could still diagnose which way the magnet is polarized. Unless you're just asking for trivial purposes.
it's important to know, not trivial. and it takes all of 10 seconds once you have a magnet in your hand
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
consider it done.

Oh no he dit-ent.

So you're saying that if (on a normal Strat) the middle pickup were to be placed closer to the bridge or neck, you'd lose output?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
it's important to know, not trivial. and it takes all of 10 seconds once you have a magnet in your hand

I was talking to Jim. I thought he meant trying to use a magnet to test my pickups would result in no sound output. Attribute the confusion to the lethargy.
Quote by dz_alias
Oh no he dit-ent.

So you're saying that if (on a normal Strat) the middle pickup were to be placed closer to the bridge or neck, you'd lose output?
absolutely not. they aren't out of phase.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
absolutely not. they aren't out of phase.

What does out of phase mean, then? I swear I knew, but I just forgot, that's all.
out of phase means the signal from one pickup is going positive at the same time the signal from the other pickup is going negative.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Then wouldn't reversing the wiring on my bridge pickup cause that phase cancellation?
Quote by Invader Jim
He's talking in circles ...

edit: SYK, check your PMs, pl0x.

I could just get my guitar back tomorrow and fix it in probably 5 minutes. At least I'm learning though. I learned what out of phase meant. Hooray.
Ok. I desoldered / switched / resoldered the wires on my bridge pickup, and it didn't help at all. The humming remained the same.

I did your magnet test. And the middle pickup really likes the "N" side of the magnet but the bridge and neck pickup hate it. So what could be wrong?
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, it's not the magntet polarity...

Actually it's fine. Now. I'm not sure why. But after I switched them, I switched them back to how it was when I first got the guitar and now it's fine.

I wired an extra wire in, so the bottommost tone control affects the bridge and the middle pickups simultaneously. I don't think this is what fixed it though, because even after I did this, it hummed, and after I reversed the wires, it hummed. But after I reversed the wires a second time it became ok...........
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, at least it's fixed.

But I don't know why. Which bothers me. I wanna learn, damn it!
Bad soldering?

Simplest answer is usually the right one.

Although, it could have absolutely nothing to do with that haha.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.