I know how to count very basic rhythms(straight quarters with an 8th or all 8th's or quarters, half and whole). I know how to count all the note divisions.

I'm working on my rhythm skills, if I can count the rhythm then I can practice it properly

For example trying to figure out the purple haze verse, I know the chords but I don't know how to count it, so I usually just go by ear for rhythms but it doesn't feel right, if I could hear any rhythm and be able to count it I'd be happy, I feel like I'm cheating myself is I just mindlessly strum the chords to the song. Any advice?
Last edited by Rave765 at Feb 24, 2009,
who cares if its exactly the same. your not getting any awards for it.. play whatever sounds right . im sure mr. hendrix was doing the same thing.
Quote by pepsi1187
who cares if its exactly the same. your not getting any awards for it.. play whatever sounds right . im sure mr. hendrix was doing the same thing.

that wasn't helpful at all. if you're just going to post useless comments, don't post at all. he just said it doesn't sound right when he plays it randomly.

anyway, slow it down as much as it takes to get it down. also try playing with a metronome. although i usually find the metronome better for getting into the groove of the song. in all honesty, it's extremely difficult to think in your head "one e and a two e and a" while playing. so figure out how it goes, but trying to count it out while you play will only frustrate you.
Thanks. Makes sense..guess I'll just figure it out the way that sounds best to me.
Last edited by Rave765 at Feb 24, 2009,
Learn how to read sheet music. That should make everything better.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.