So I've got my guitar and I've got my amp. I'm making music and learning a lot along the way. However there are a few things that I haven't been able to figure out.

I have a Samick Greg Bennett Avion AV1. It's got 2 pickups, Rhythm and Treble and a 3 way selector switch (one, the other and both obviously). Which pickup do I use or how do I know when to change which one I'm using?

Likewise, the Tone controller. I have played around and heard what it can do, but I've know idea how to use it to it's full effect. Suggestions?

My amp is a Roland Cube 30X. Aside from the thin instructions that came with it, is there any information available on how to set it up to for specific sounds?
I don't think that there's anything anyone can really tell you... the 'gain' dial is used to drive the amp, by increasing the volume on the pre-amp. The volume dial increases the volume of the main amp.

Equaliser settings are self explanatory

At the end of the day you 'tweak the knobs till it sounds right'.

The bridge pickup gives a 'brighter' sound, the neck pickup gives a 'warmer' sound.

The key is to experiment.
Last edited by buttknuckle at Feb 25, 2009,
There's really no right or wrong. Some people prefer the neck pickup for solos, some prefer the bridge, it's all a matter of taste.
It's true that there really is no right or wrong when it comes to dialing in a tone. Personally I use the bridge pickup almost extensively for distorted rhythm work; the neck pickup can get a little muddy but is great for leads. I also prefer my tone knob at 7-10.

It also might be tempting for you to to scoop your mids (leaving the mids low while boosting the bass and treble) but I'd generally recommend avoiding this. I've found that keeping my mids up really adds a more organic feel to my overall tone.

Again, it all comes down to personal preference, you're bound to find something you like if you mess around with all the settings for a while.