so i need to know how difficult it would be to mod my tube head

its a 2 channel clean/OD Crate
class A/B
4 pre/ 4 power tube
50/100 watt

the only modding i really want to do is crank the gain on it more (it pretty much stops short of AC/DC tone, and i need it for the metalz)

right now im running a dist. pedal through the clean channel just so i can get the crisp n chunky tone im looking for

any tips or advice would be reat to know

(also, ive tried the channel with different pickups like EMG's and even a Dimebucker, and still not enough)

edit: also im trying to avoid the use of pedals, as i loved my old amps gain channel
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Feb 24, 2009,
If you need to ask, you wont be able to do it. No offence or anything, but it would be really difficult and probably expensive. You would be better off to buy a new amp.
Don't mod, you'll be up sh*t creek. Get a power break and a tube screamer.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
^^ heard the tube screamer is kind of overrated actually (i play metal)

main purpose of this thread was to see if its actually possible
it would be great to crank the amp's natural distortion
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
AKA, stick a tube screamer or suitable booster in front of your amp.

Seriously, hitting your preamp section harder and/or cranking the volume are the two ways to easily get the most distortion from your amp. The higher volume deals with the power tube saturation, and the booster cranks the preamp tubes.

Modding your amp will be more of a hassle, more dangerous and more expensive than doing exactly what SG6578 said. Buy an attenuator and a booster, or even just an attenuator, so you can crank your amp.
attenuator are ****ing pricey!
thats not even worth it
and ive also tried the tube screamer through a roland at guitar center
and wasnt really impressed
just me i guess
Glimsom wrote: