I know most of UG hates line 6, but since I've been playing I've gigged with my dads old 5150 ll. I love the distortion on it but the cleans I hate. I've been hearing people talk about the line 6 bogner amp and I was wondering how yall thought the bogner help up to the 5150 tone wise.

A guitar center isn't easily accesible for me so if I bought it I'd have to just take a chance and buy it unplayed and unseen from musicians friend or guitar center
the line 6 "bogner" is just a spider valve i'm pretty sure. i've never played it but i would assume it couldn't hold a candle to a 5150.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Does anyone know how I can get a good warm bluesy tone out of it. I understand its a metal amp but once I crank it it starts breaking up way to soon.
If you mean warm bluesy tone out of your dad's 5150 then you could turn your guitar volume down, or turn the pre gain down low and the post gain (basically master volume) high, or turn down the treble (lots of distortion is in this spectrum)... blues tones are more mid and bass. A chorus pedal wouldn't hurt either b/c 5150's as you have found out have a reputation for unfufilling cleans.
5150 is not really made to do Warm n bluesy. If you want a good clean tone, than I suggest re-equing your clean channel and adding an EQ pedal to your chain for some tighter dynamics
The spider valve sounds decent. I don't like it as much as my 5150 no. But I like it. The peavey vypyr tube amp is like the spider valve but actually sounds like 10 times better. I'd go for that 60 watt or 120 watt. It has some damn good warm and bluesy tones on it. Especially the twin model...those tubes are really warm with it.
Quote by Highwaytohell
You could also just buy a cheaper second amplifier strictly for cleans and ab/y it with your 5150

That's what I would do. I also find it funny he is calling the line 6 a bogner. lol I understand they went in with bogner to make it but it is nowhere near the quality of a bogner amp. They basically did that so they could put that name on there and people who don't know will think it.
I found the gain structure on the high gain channels on both the 5150 and Spider Valve to be extremely similar. No real difference to be honest.

As far as a warm bluesy tone,t he spider valve will do a decent crunch/light gain tone. For the price of the spider valve you can get a Vetta used. Vetta's are quite a bit better than the Spider Valve.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Look into a Bugera 6262 I think its based on the 5150II and 6505+ but it supposedly has better cleans. I got some nice cleans out of my 6505+, but i have a Dimarzio HFH in the neck of my guitar so...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
yeah man just stay with your dads 5150 II, the cleans are really not that bad. you can get the amp modded for about $250 and will make the amp sound alot warmer, and the lead channel will be tighter. i had my 5150 II modded. had the lead channel on it modded to the orignal lead channel on the 5150 and had the the clean channel warmed up a bit and i run a chorus pedal on it to make it sound very tastey..haha....

...but havent played it in a while due to my output transformer blowing...gonna have a custom one put in soon
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA