I was told for under 500 bucks, this thing would be a dream, especially for what i play (Classic Rock, Metal, Modern Rock, etc.), I own a gibson SG special faded and currently my amp is a roland cube 20x...What do you guys think?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH15112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=483097 For more info if you need it.
Not so good for metal to be honest...not so good at all.
But a very good british voiced classic rock amp.
███████████████████████████████████
um yea it's not gonna be for modern metal, or modern rock a la Nickelback or whatever the general public considers modern 'rock'...

i think these days modern rock has more of a Mesa sound than anything.

it'll sound great for classic rock, hard rock and older metal, but it'll still have a kinda fizzy (not really bad, just its characterstic) tone when dirty...the only thing i didn't like about my BH. this is why i prefer EL34 powered british amps...more balls and meat. oh, forgot to mention, anything past classic rock will need an OD pedal to boost it.

i would use it more for classic rock and blues and hard rock at most. if you have a good dist. pedal then that'll cover your metal, but if metal and hard rock are more important, get a different amp i would say.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Crap really?

By any chance would you be able to suggest a better amp for under 500? i can't go used because my moms the one paying for it (she loves me, what can i say) and she doesn't trust peer to peer trades

And I shoulda said that my main focus is really classic rock. and what I classify as modern rock, would be Tesla, or Velvet Revolver. Honestly, to me Nickel back is soft rock. Anyway, I'm not too worried about the sort of distortion I get from it, because in the near future i should be able to buy a pedal with my own money, but I'm just wondering, if I plug my Gibson SG into this thing, will it make it sing a whole lot better then if i were to plug it into my current amp?
Last edited by SGlover69 at Feb 24, 2009,
^i can definitely understand your mom. haha just realized you're the same 'sglover' that just gave me some advice a few min ago. anyway, are you more of a hard rock and metal player? and what's it like at your home? are you able to crank your amps? i was lucky enough to live on the outskirts of town and had a huge yard that i could just take my amp out to and crank it, both my 5 watter and my 50 watter, no problem. if you're not able to crank your amp at least 1/3 of the time, it might not be worth getting a tube amp.

slash_edit: ha yea that's the kinda amp you want to look at. but might i suggest looking into the Peavey Windsor 20 watter? runs on EL34s, which will do much better for the kind of marshall sound you want. you can also switch em out with other variations which is always a plus. and it's very similar to the BH, single channel, but has built in reverb. i'd kill for that on MY amp. it's also a little cheaper. i'd definitely get that before the BH just b/c of its power tubes. with an OD pedal you can really get that thing into some hard rock and classic thrashy metal. and 20 watts is like the perfect crankable amp for home use as well as taking it with you to jam and possibly gig.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Feb 24, 2009,
Well, I am able to crank it when I'm home alone, but that's just a given. My neighbors don't even..honestly exist, and we sort of live next to this main road that gets busy alot, so a high powered amp would help me hear myself a whole lot better. I also need it because my friend has a Fender Champ 30 and another Vox amp, not sure what kind, but all I know is, my roland can't hold up to em. I'm more of a...well Guns N' Roses, Zeppelin, ACDC, Metallica, Black Label Society, Megadeth, I really move between genres, but if I couldn't play a certain genre it really wouldn't kill me.

Lol, I remember your name being the bare knuckles thread and I thought you meant that one, Ya SG's are like, my signature guitar so if my baby can't roar, I'd be disappointed. Another thing is, it'd be for the band because we have 3 guitarists, and a singer, who we won't be able to hear over the drums and what not, so we need just one more amp. (Which would be my amp, she can have the cube lol) which would be this amp. If you have any other suggestions of a black heart amp, I'd be happy to hear, i'm a real noob when it comes to amps.

Edit: I'll look into that amp definitely. Like i said the only reason I looked up the devil is because people said 'Check out the devil' so i was like "Ok cool" and i did, and I liked it so, boom lol. The only thing is right now my only pedal is a VERY basic Boss DS-1
yea the devil IS a nice rock and blues amp for sure!! but from experience, when cranking a el84 powered amp, it just doesn't have the same balls that an el34 one does. i used my little giant for all styles, and it was good, but everything was still better on my randall when i changed over the tubes and cranked it. 20 watts of valve amplification should get you a nice roar! you won't have the cleanest cleans when it's cranked, but you can roll down your volume knob and strum lightly and it'll be just fine- that's what i do. and your DS-1 will be ok for now, just use it as a boost (level up, gain real low or at zero, and adjust to your taste of course). when you can afford a nicer OD such as a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive II, it'll really shine.

your amp will do those genres fine, but with the metallica/megadeth/BLS and heavier GNR songs, it'll do a lot better with that added bit of boost and saturation from your pedal.

i really wanna say just go with the peavey and not the BH...if you can try one out definitely do that. PLUS, built in reverb is just so sexy!!!! and with an SG, you're not limited to any one genre, that's for sure! one of the most versatile guitars i've ever used. get some coil splitting up in that sucker and it'll be even better .

slash_edit: use the extra $100 you save from getting this amp and uprade the stock tubes ASAP! stock tubes NEVER give the lower and mid range of tube amps their best sound. JJ EL34s (i LOVE mine!! i swear by JJ for power tubes) and tung sol preamp tubes will do that amp WONDERS! and then eventually swap the speaker, if it doesn't suit your fancy. after that it'll be a killer amp! but the tube change will prolly be around a $30 to $40 upgrade, maybe cheaper if you can find someone locally on craigslist like i did.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Feb 24, 2009,
Haha, I've been seriously considering doing that, but I don't trust myself around her. (yes i call it a her :P) I feel if i go too deep without knowing EXACTLY what I'm doing things'll end bad. I would check out both these amps if I could but, none of my local music stores carry em, the most i've seen is a section of fenders/marshalls/line 6's/vox's and that's really all guitar center has i think. Our other store may have one but they have a lot of EVH and Orange amps. They kinda stick out too which is funny. The Peavey Windsor 20, I think I wanna hear before I say "Ya i totally want that right now =O" and I gotta admit, on my roland cube, Reverb is NNNNNEVER off. Always on. I know I should take your word for it, but a lot of the reviews say that the amp needs to have it's speaker swapped to sound really good, is that true or is that some guy making stuff up?

Edit: Oh ok i see. I could get someone to do it for me actually for no cost, my dad is really good with this sort of stuff. He usually takes it in where he works to sort of get it all worked out. I'd definitely try to upgrade it if I could, because I mean how awesome would that be lol I'd have a beastly amp for under 500 well...it could be like 600, but that's what workings for right?haha
well it's very possible that a $400 tube amp doesn't have the BEST stock speaker lol...but what do ya expect? just about everyone with a vintage voiced amp ends up switching their speaker to a celestion vintage 30 or GT12 anyway...so i don't think it matters much. it'll sound really good even with a sub par speaker, but if you ever start to want 'more' from your sound, that's when you can upgrade to a vintage 30. the difference will be so great from the cube that you won't even care about the speaker for like a year or so i bet.

i don't think any tube amp under $800 (combo amp that is) is gonna come stock with an end-all-be-all speaker anyway, so i don't think it's a big deal. also, my advice isn't end-all-be-all either lol...a lotta people on UG think windsors are one trick ponys and can't do cleans, and i've played on personally a few times and think it's definitely underrated for its price. trust me, going from your cube to the windsor will be such a drastic upgrade in terms of a hard rock and classic rock amp, that you won't even care about the tubes or speaker at first, but i strongly suggest upgrading the tubes ASAP anyway...

i'd suggest the same with the BH as well, only the speaker's prolly a little better in that one but that's one of the perks of going BH. both are nice, but i say go windsor.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
May I suggest the Blackstar HT-5?
I can't paste a link to MF seeing as I'm using my iphone
But look it up

It has this ISF feature which you can switch the voicing from American to British
And I think it can get abit heavier than the handsome devil
Quote by SGlover69
Crap really?

By any chance would you be able to suggest a better amp for under 500? i can't go used because my moms the one paying for it (she loves me, what can i say) and she doesn't trust peer to peer trades

And I shoulda said that my main focus is really classic rock. and what I classify as modern rock, would be Tesla, or Velvet Revolver. Honestly, to me Nickel back is soft rock. Anyway, I'm not too worried about the sort of distortion I get from it, because in the near future i should be able to buy a pedal with my own money, but I'm just wondering, if I plug my Gibson SG into this thing, will it make it sing a whole lot better then if i were to plug it into my current amp?

Nickelback soft rock? Apparently you've only listened to their big hit songs.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Gibson V
Nickelback soft rock? Apparently you've only listened to their big hit songs.

don't even try it.
nickelback is the devil on earth.
anyone who is lured by their siren song will burn for eternity in the fires of hell.
Quote by tona_107
don't even try it.
nickelback is the devil on earth.
anyone who is lured by their siren song will burn for eternity in the fires of hell.

We're all entitled to our own opinions .
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
If you can wait a while a Blackstar HT-5 Combo is on it's way to stores.

It's $400. Perfect for you.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill