About a year ago I learned she wolf and I spent day learning the intro picking

down - down up down - down - down up down - down - down up down - down - down up down... down up down... down up down...

Baaah turned out it created a pain in the butt habbit. I have been sufferring from bad alternate picking technique since. Especially when it comes to created my own stuff. So to help me I'm going to relearn the intro using this picking style

down - up down up - down - up down up - down - up down up - down -
up down up... down up down... up down up

When I can play it this way up to speed. I will surely be a brand new guitarist.
Last edited by rebel624 at Feb 24, 2009,
hey, I had the same problem cause I also do a lot of my own stuff and its bloody annoying ay? I got out of the habbit by holding the pick diferently, its annoy at first but it helps, hope that helps?
Is there supposed to be a question somewhere in there?
If you just want to tell people that you will soon "surely be[come] a brand new guitarist." then write a blog. Seriously, the forums aren't your blog.

Like honestly, there is no statement in there instigating some sort of insightful or intellectual conversation.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Feb 24, 2009,
economy picking is the way to speed...
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
well rigoman what kinda change did you make in how you hold your pick? My problem is that my index finger is pretty much flat on the the bottom just slightly to a slant. Hurts my cutical to move it any further up to the side of my finger. I figured in the process of practicing my finger will move ever so slightly to compensate for the difference.
Dont change yourself ever!

lol JK man, if it hurts see a doctor, or OH SH*T just dont do it lol

Please use tags for tabs....
The original way you played it is generally seen as the correct way of playing that style of gallop. If you're experiencing pain it's because you're tensing up, not because of the directions you're choosing to pick
Quote by gizmodious

Alternate picking<Economy picking<Sweep picking.
I use them all, but sweep picking is much faster than economy picking in NPS. Im not saying that you can sweep pick things that need economy picking, just that sweeping is a generally faster technique.
It seems to me like you guys are misunderstanding his problem. As best I can tell he's not suffering any pain, he learned to gallop (using the pattern of down, down, up ,down and repeat) and ever since his alternate picking has suffered, i.e. he's having trouble getting the down, up, down, up.

As for help: just go really slowly and say to yourself whether or not the note should be an upstroke or not. Eventually your hand will learn the pattern and you'll naturally alternate pick.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
You don't have to choose either strict economy picking or strict alternate. Personally, I do a mix of both.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Freepower
The original way you played it is generally seen as the correct way of playing that style of gallop.

+1

TS, you didn't develop a bad habit, you are just misinformed or misunderstand the context in which alternate picking is appropriate. You don't have to alternate pick EVERYTHING, and there are many cases, such as this that alternate picking is not entirely appropriate.

If you want to get better at alternate picking, don't go back and do that riff with strict alternate picking. Just find something else to play that actually does require alt picking, and work on that instead.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by gizmodious

Well done, you don't know the song. For a start it's all on one string and secondly it's all pretty standard galloping stuff so alt (after a fashion) is the only way to do it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
thanks for the help guys. Oh and Freepower there is no real pain i was just expressing about how bad I suck at truely alternate picking lol except i do have this pain in my cutical when i try holding the pick on the side of my index finger.
Quote by Freepower
Ah, ok! I was worried you were be experiencing actual pain.

If you think that gallop is wrist-destroying, how's this for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6z39PbIRw

Check out how loose Big Fred is. That's how you should be playing a gallop - with total relaxation, perfect timing and brutal accents.

(yes, I posted about Meshuggah again... )

That's not quite the standard gallop picking though is it? Frederik at least alternate picks it properly rather than the standard "downpicking the 8ths" way of doing it...

Of course you're right; he's absurdly good at it but it's still not exactly the same from what I can see

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by gizmodious

Correction, accurate and economic picking is the way to speed.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's not quite the standard gallop picking though is it? Frederik at least alternate picks it properly rather than the standard "downpicking the 8ths" way of doing it...

Of course you're right; he's absurdly good at it but it's still not exactly the same from what I can see

Believe it or not, this PC is so outdated that the I couldn't see that because of the framerate.

Thanks for that.
Quote by Freepower
Believe it or not, this PC is so outdated that the I couldn't see that because of the framerate.

Thanks for that.

Again, that's just what I can see but apparently I'm in a better position to judge than you I know he's at least alternate picking the "variation" with the higher notes.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I don't think he strictly alternate picks it. (if thats what you mean by "proper")
Quote by GuitarMunky
I don't think he strictly alternate picks it. (if thats what you mean by "proper")

Well there's a few sections to it, the opening part when he's hammering the Eb and bending is all strict alt. as far as I can see but the part where he moves to the lower strings and moves around a lot is standard galloping. The next riff he demonstrates is strict alt. again from what I can see but please, if you see if differently then do correct me; I know I'm not perfect

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.