Well, about a year and a half ago is when I was I decided to get a MG15DFX. Figuring I would get an awesome small marshall amp, and great metal sound. Loved it for the first 3 months, and slowly but surely began to grow tired of it, and disliked the tone more and more. Now I hardly like it at all, and wish to trade it in for a used, better small amp.

Any suggestions? I would like a nice metal tone, but also have a little variety. I would also like to keep it at 15W.
roland cube 15x. small, cheap, 15 watts, and will get you a better metal tone than that mg. i personally have a cube 20x and i love the metal tone i can get out of it.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I got an MG30DFX, but I use pedals for effects. Its got a good clean channel to run them on, so I like it. (braces for usual MG flaming)

Roland makes killer practice amps. Their mini-cubes are armed to the teeth with crunk. Even the new smaller Spider III rock, but not nearly as much as the roland's. The spider has more effects I think, but the Roland sounds better maxed out.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
I'll go with the Roland (well, I did) unless you want to pay a good bit more for a small valve amp.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Peavey Vypyr. Great amp, especially for metal, but its also very versatile.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Any of the Roland Cubes, IMHO the 20 or 30X have overall better sound than the 15 but depending on your budget the 15 isn't too shabby. The Vox VT15 can be had if you look around $140 or so and the Peavy Vyprs in 15 or 30. Last but not least are the Fender FM DSP's and Vibro Champ XD.
You really have to go listen to them and you make the choice. All of then are capable of doing what you need. You have to decide.
i was told by a marshall authorised dealer that MGs were the ****test amps their store has ever stocked.

if your gona get a lower end marshall, Valvetronix is as low as you should go.

i recommend H&K. just been and bought one myself. love it.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
i was told by a marshall authorised dealer that MGs were the ****test amps their store has ever stocked.

if your gona get a lower end marshall, Valvetronix is as low as you should go.

i recommend H&K. just been and bought one myself. love it.

Valvetronix are made by Vox...

It alliterates. Vox Valvetronix.

How can you not remember that?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain