A while ago i was working at a Jam session with my brother (doing the bar) and we noticed that almost all guitars had this ugly plastic pickguard.

I know that the gurds are standard on a lot of guitars, but... Why plastic? How come that on a $3000 dollar guitar there still is this ugly white piece of plastic?

A while ago i saw a, i believe LTD/ESP guitar with an copper pickup wich had much more style, it made the appearance of the guitar quite 'metallish'.

Whenever i see a nice stratocaster, i also see the ugly white plastic plate that 'destroys' the nice paint.

How come most of the plates are ugly plastic plates. In stead of some nice plates made from other compents like metal, copper or maybe wood. When i spend a lot of money on a new guitar i expect it to look nice.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
I think its like a cars rims... it comes with the basic. Its up to you if you want to change them out with a pair that fit and look all fancy.

As for me, pearloid and tortoise shell look great... now that I look at my electric, i just realized it doesn't have a pickguard. Pickguard freedom FTW >_>
nah pickguards on fenders look ok.. but the pickguards on LP guitars, or dots... man taht's just disgusting..

it's just my opinion man
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Chaos Nil
I think its like a cars rims... it comes with the basic. Its up to you if you want to change them out with a pair that fit and look all fancy.

As for me, pearloid and tortoise shell look great... now that I look at my electric, i just realized it doesn't have a pickguard. Pickguard freedom FTW >_>

+1

Also, it *is* a pickguard so it needs to be something that is going to be durable and won't wear out or get scratched to buggery in 2 days. Whilst other materials may look cooler something like copper or wood it going to end up showing scratches much more than white plastic.
Protects the front of your guitar from damage caused by your pick constantly rubbing on it while you're strumming. Once upon a time guitar finishes were not as tough and durable as they are now so it was important to have something there to protect it
just putting this out there plastic pickguards are lighter then any other materials used and some people are worried to no ends about scratches
i do agree with the pearloids are sweet on some guitars.I've been looking for a red pearloid pickguard for my black strat,,,,,,,,,,i love that look
Quote by Pedalist
what does a pickguard do anyway?

On acoustic guitars, and guitars like the Gibson LP or their semi-hollows, it is to protect the finish from pick scratches.

On Fender guitars, it is to cover up the routing for the pickups and the control cavities.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Waylanderau
+1

Also, it *is* a pickguard so it needs to be something that is going to be durable and won't wear out or get scratched to buggery in 2 days. Whilst other materials may look cooler something like copper or wood it going to end up showing scratches much more than white plastic.

I don't think you're going to need anything more than plastic unless you pick with a saw.
Quote by Pedalist
what does a pickguard do anyway?

It guards your guitar body from your pick.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't know about everyone else.. But in my 3 years of playing, i have never once touched the body of my guitar with a pick unintentionally.
------
Guitars -
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom (Aged Ivory Bullseye)
Jackson DXMG Dinky

Amps etc. -
Line 6 Pod X3 Live w/ speaker system
Marshall MG15DFX Practice Amp
Well... what else could you make a pick guard out of?

Wood... would(lol, that rhymed) scratch. although i'm sure you could make one out of some really beautiful pieces of wood.

Metal... can also scratch and would tend to smudge with lots of finger prints. It may also rust and other such things.

In the old days they used to use Tortoise shell for pickguards on acoustic guitars. But tortoise shells aren't easily obtained and created into a pickguard... soo... Plastic seems like a good choice.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Only one out of 9 guitars has a pick guard. And I agree, in 3 and a half years, I have never touched the body with a pick. I don't even think the pick is long enough if i stick it as far in as it will go. O.o
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
^^ And I think its illegal in a lot of places to use tortoise for things now, right?

Quote by Zycho
I don't think you're going to need anything more than plastic unless you pick with a saw.

Well mine doesn't even have a pickguard so I have to be even more careful with my saw...