Page 1 of 2
Hi GB&C, i'm new to the world of guitar building and i really want to get in on it after seeing many of your builds.

I'm in my final year of senior school and i we need to do something as a final project, i wanted to build a bass. I'm fairly broke and i was wondering if i could build a bass with just a router, your average hand tools, i could possible buy some tools, like a planer but a band saw is definately out of the question.

So anyway, can you build a bass with only a router and hand tools and if you can't, what other tools would i need?

Also, can someone explain binding to me? I want to put a binding on my build when i start it but i have no idea how it works.
Does your school have equipment? See if you can use that when you can (ie; lunch, recess etc.)

Binding is just an inlay around the edge to make it look pretty.
The school should have equipment but i don't think i've ever seen a bandsaw there and the project must be independant so i'm not sure if i'm allowed to use the school equipment, which is retarded IMO.
Independent should just mean you can't get the teachers to do stuff for you... It doesn't mean you can't use the school equipment..

Also, check it out next time you're there (tomorrow I'm assuming?), most schools tend to have a few handy tools etc if they have a woodworking/plastics class.
It helps to have powered sanders and at least a jigsaw.
But I'm sure it could be done with just a router. Might look a bit messy, but could work.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Is there a way to get it neat looking like an actual factory bass with just a router and afore mentioned tools? I need a new bass anyway so i figured i'd just combine the project with the bass.
Well a router is one of the most important tools so it definatly helps.

You should definatly check to see if they have a bandsaw, I'm sure you could use it in your project

and you'll need a decent drill press for the headstock, and other precise holes.

Binding is easy with a router, you get a route bit that has a bearing at the bottom and the bearing is the size of the binding smaller than the actual cutter part of the bit, and go round the edge of the guitar and it cuts the right size slot for the binding, then you glue the binding in and scrape flush.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 24, 2009,
you can, i just build my neck with only a router, but i have a kigsaw now to do the rough cuts for the body shape. just go at about 1/2 inch , then 3/4 then 1 inch and do it in multipule passes instead of trying to make your cuts one time. be smart, use a rasp to do the fine work on the neck, just cut rough profiles with the router.
Quote by Absent Mind
Well a router is one of the most important tools so it definatly helps.

You should definatly check to see if they have a bandsaw, I'm sure you could use it in your project

and you'll need a decent drill pretty for the headstock, and other precise holes.

Binding is easy with a router, you get a route bit that has a bearing at the bottom and the bearing is the size of the binding smaller than the actual cutter part of the bit, and go round the edge of the guitar and it cuts the right size slot for the binding, then you glue the binding in and scrape flush.

Great advise. You can also rent certain tools. It would cost a lot of money to go out and buy everything. Borrow as much as you can. Good luck. It sounds fun.
AL
So i checked in with the school and we don't have a bandsaw on our campus and the closest place to rent one is an hour drive away if we're lucky so i think i'm stuck with a router and possibly a planer.

Say i was to cut the entire body etc with the router, how'd i go about it? Do i do a rough cut and then keep trimming until it's neat?

Also, i plan on buying a neck since it's my first build and all.
cheers.
why not buy a jigsaw, there like $60...

As Absent mind said, you'll need a drill press or just a hand held drill which you can get for pretty cheap (around $60, well actually my dad got one for $6 on ebay the other day...

If you do get a hand held drill it would be a good idea to get some PVC and make some cylinders with sandpaper on them to sand down the edges and make it neat, this would be very hard with just a bit of sandpaper and your hands
Not sure if we have a jigsaw as most of the tools i'll be using are at dad's factory, if it comes down to it, i could fork out the money for the jigsaw but i'm on a limited budget, $300 or less, i could go higher but then i'd be strapped for a new amp, my current one is a behringer (Other bassists will sympathize with this).

Is there any way to substitute for a jig saw? and/or a better way to sub for a bandsaw then the router.
Last edited by Bass First at Feb 25, 2009,
Thanks for that, i'll look into it. I'll put up the specs for the bass later today and see if i need anymore tools.

Anyway, another few questions ,

Does anyone know where i can get a template for a p-bass?

What types of paint i should use when i, if i, finish the build.

Also, to the bassists out there, what do you guys think of putting a humbucker in the bridge position, think ernie ball stingrays, and split coil p pickups in the middle-ish, around the same position as on an MIA fender p.

Last one, what's the realtion between where the pickup is on the body to sound, i.e i put a humbucker at the bridge and a split coil at the neck, or i put the humbucker around the middle and the split at the neck.
1: Ultimate Template thread
2: 2 Pack is what Ormsby uses, its a car finish, It leaves a shiny surface and looks like its been clear coated 100 times although its very thin allowing the guitar (or bass in this case) to vibrate freely. You should look around for it
3+4= Sorry can't help you there
I've checked the template thread, there's no p-bass template, or i must of missed it, i'll try rechecking after this.
Also, does anyone know what types of wood are good for bass, and what sounds they make? I know a bit but i want to be sure.

Stupid optus has slowed my internet to 64kb/s
i just read that 2 pack **** is dangerous you have a ventelated spray booth an its extremly toxic
Quote by Bass First
Say i was to cut the entire body etc with the router, how'd i go about it? Do i do a rough cut and then keep trimming until it's neat?
No, dont free hand route you need to make templates to use a router.

Get some MDF at least 1/2" thick and draw on the shape of the body you want

cut the shape out and sand down to the line so its nice and smooth and double side sticky tape it to the body blank

Get a template follower bit with the bearing on the bottom, but the peice of wood with the MDF facing downwards on the table, and then line up the bearing so that it runs on the mdf template, and it will cut the same shape onto the body wood as you run the router round the outside of the shape.

Basically the same for pickup and control cavity routes, make a template for the shape you want, stick it to top of the wood where the route needs to be, and then use a router with a bearing at the top and run it on the template so the router cuts the hole to the same spec.

You can buy pre made templates if you dont think you can handle making decent ones.

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/precisionbass.htm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 25, 2009,
Okay so turns out i have a jigsaw and a router aswell so i'm set for the jigsaw.

For the template, we have a vinyl printer, so i planned to just find a template on the net, put it into a program (imageready or coreldraw, or something else) print out the vinyl and then just stick it on the wood, will there be any problems there?

Working on the specs atm
Dead set on the 34" neck, humbucker at the bridge, white finish and green LED's. If i can.

Okay;

Body wood:
I've narrowed it down (lol) to
Koa
Alder
Wenge
Lacewood

They're all balanced for warmness / brightness and they all have pretty nice grains. Lacewood is imported from aus so i'm going to look into that most.

Neck:
I'm buying the neck so i'll shop around for this.
Is it possible to put inlays in a pre built neck?

Hardware:
Gotoh bridge and tuners
ceramic Music Man humbuckers at the bridge (or any other that sounds good)
Split coil seymour duncan basslines for the neck
Possibly LED's

Body colour, white + black pickguard

It's going to be a 1 piece body, no tops etc.

4 strings.
Last edited by Bass First at Feb 26, 2009,
that'd work, but I doubt a store is gonna let him trace a bass (hah, that rhymes)

Just saw on your profile that you own a P and J bass. Why not just trace one of those onto some poster board or straight onto the MDF? How is that SX bass btw? I've been looking at one of those
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

This body is couldn't be to hard to make.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
I don't know how alder would sound in a bass, but it's definitely an easy wood to work with, which you'll be thankful for in your first build.

You can put inlays in a premade neck, but you'd really need to strip the frets out, drill/route the inlay cavities, glue the inlays in, then radius the board and new inlays.. and refret.
Quote by bv310
that'd work, but I doubt a store is gonna let him trace a bass (hah, that rhymes)

Just saw on your profile that you own a P and J bass. Why not just trace one of those onto some poster board or straight onto the MDF? How is that SX bass btw? I've been looking at one of those

The SX is honestly better then the MIM p although the MIM was a parts only second hand bass. And tracing a guitar? How would that work? wouldn't the bevels make it hard?

Also, with the pickup cavities, if i just removed the pickguard from my bass and fit it onto the body for the build, could i just trace out the pickup slots?
Quote by Bass First

Also, to the bassists out there, what do you guys think of putting a humbucker in the bridge position, think ernie ball stingrays, and split coil p pickups in the middle-ish, around the same position as on an MIA fender p.

nothing wrong with it, p bass has a bucker in the bridge. sounds very good actually:

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
nothing wrong with it, p bass has a bucker in the bridge. sounds very good actually:
*sex pic*

x

I think i just creamed my self
You can only use a router. But youll need a template. It would be ideal if someone first rough cutts your body as to save amount of wood that will be removed by the router. With a ball bearing bit copy the template onto the wood. When you repeat this process several times youll have enough wood to use a ball bearing below the bit. Just flip the body and let the ball bearing do its job. Thats what I did with all the necks I cut out
Use the wenge for the bass. The alder doesn't have the weight for it, koa is unorthodox for basses, and I'm doing lacewood on my guitar. :P
That leaves only wenge. Its a tough hard wood though.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Wenge would probably be great for the body and neck both Alder is used a lot in bass building though. You could also go for an Ash body and Wenge neck

Here's a thread on wood:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1052639
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by Bass First
Hi GB&C, i'm new to the world of guitar building and i really want to get in on it after seeing many of your builds.

I'm in my final year of senior school and i we need to do something as a final project, i wanted to build a bass. I'm fairly broke and i was wondering if i could build a bass with just a router, your average hand tools, i could possible buy some tools, like a planer but a band saw is definately out of the question.

So anyway, can you build a bass with only a router and hand tools and if you can't, what other tools would i need?

Also, can someone explain binding to me? I want to put a binding on my build when i start it but i have no idea how it works.

Seriously? Do you realize that it should be the other way around? Planers are far more expensive than band saws, and assuming you only need a little one, I don't see why you don't shell out the cash, Also if you buy your wood already planed, there's no real need for a planer.
Well that's cool, i wasn't really going to buy anything unless it was absolutely necessary.

I can buy everything from stew mac but the wenge is going to be harder to find

Also, with the pickup cavities, if i just removed the pickguard from my bass and fit it onto the body for the build, could i just trace out the pickup slots?
Quote by Bass First
Well that's cool, i wasn't really going to buy anything unless it was absolutely necessary.

I can buy everything from stew mac but the wenge is going to be harder to find

Local lumber yard?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Page 1 of 2