Poll: Water
Poll Options
View poll results: Water
Hot
17 31%
Cold
38 69%
Voters: 55.
So yeah, I was just going to boil me some rice for lunch when my grandma told me it's bad to put hot water into the pot from the tap and heat it to the climax of boiling.

My parents have also told me this since i was small, but like why is necessary to begin with cold water?

I mean, in terms of sterility the bacteria would die either way in the boling water and getting water hot faster is always a good thing. Plus, think about the enviormental benefits if we start heating hot water instead of ice cold water.

Discuss.
I usually just stick cold water in the pan and heat it up - That probably uses less energy than using hot tap water to be honest.

If I'm feeling lazy, I'll boil it up in the kettle.
yeah dude....if you need boiling hot water why wouldnt you want to start with as warm of water as you could?

EDIT: first poll vote!!!!
I heard cold is better because in the hot water there's more likely to be heatresistant bacteria and pipe-issues because the hot water damages the pipe... obviously in older buildings.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Because hot water comes from the boiler, and has probably been sat in a tank for weeks.
Cold water comes from the mains so is fresh water.
If you are happy to drink stagnant water, then go ahead. It is clean enough for washing but not really for drinking.
I've always started it hot out of the tap, doesn't make a difference either way. The water is coming from the same source, and is being heated by the same source (It's the gas/electric heater that heats your oven AND your hot water system).

There is no difference to my knowledge.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Because hot water comes from the boiler, and has probably been sat in a tank for weeks.
If you are happy to drink stagnant water, then go ahead. It is clean enough for washing but not really for drinking.

Ah, that would make sense...
If you're making tea, it brews the best pot if it starts cold, but if it's rice I don't see a problem.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by urbanfox
I usually just stick cold water in the pan and heat it up - That probably uses less energy than using hot tap water to be honest.

If I'm feeling lazy, I'll boil it up in the kettle.

Can't say I've studied this but I think heating cold water with a stove is alot more energy costly than using hot tap water and heating it with a stove.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Not necessarily, my combio-boiler heats water straight from the mains so I don't have a tank.

Does it really matter though? You're going to boil away all the bacteria in the pan anyway
Quote by Dolly*rocker
Not necessarily, my combio-boiler heats water straight from the mains so I don't have a tank.

Does it really matter though? You're going to boil away all the bacteria in the pan anyway

Same thing here.

The only difference is if your boiler is infested with Blue/Green Algae or another similar toxin. That stuff becomes even more dangerous when boiled. It has to be filtered/carboned out of the water first before it is boiled.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Kensai
Can't say I've studied this but I think heating cold water with a stove is alot more energy costly than using hot tap water and heating it with a stove.

hmm.. hot water from the boiler isnt really anywhere near boiling point.. well not at my house anyway
it would probably use almost as much energy as it would heating from cold

i dont know what im taking about

i also think this topic is stupid
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by Kensai
I heard cold is better because in the hot water there's more likely to be heatresistant bacteria and pipe-issues because the hot water damages the pipe... obviously in older buildings.

/thread
Considering my hot water comes out very very cloudy i'm sticking to cold water. I've always been told to use cold water anyway.

Not only does hot water have more bacteria from the tank most likely, it also has more sediment in it i find.
Quote by StonaLemons
Considering my hot water comes out very very cloudy i'm sticking to cold water. I've always been told to use cold water anyway.

Not only does hot water have more bacteria from the tank most likely, it also has more sediment in it i find.

Sediment could be a lack of filtration or very old, corroded pipes.

If there's sediment in your hot water system, you should notify your water company.... that could be very dangerous to your health, the possibility of Bacteria/Heavy Metals in clouded water could pose a significant health risk.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
do you guys live in russia or something? lol

in most restaurants they use hot water because it boils faster.

we have a bro0otal stove here so the temperatur of the water doesnt matter much.

but if you have issues with hot water you should consider contacting your complex.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by adyhendrixc
Hold.

If that's a David Firth reference then you're my new favourite person.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Mootallica
Sediment could be a lack of filtration or very old, corroded pipes.

If there's sediment in your hot water system, you should notify your water company.... that could be very dangerous to your health, the possibility of Bacteria/Heavy Metals in clouded water could pose a significant health risk.

Welcome to student accomodation! I actually do drink a lot less water here because too much makes me feel a bit dodgy.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Yeah... all of that
It gets all sorts of bacteria in it from sitting in that tank... tell me, when was the last time you cleaned your boiler, eh?!
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

This.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
The bacteria that'd conceivably accumulate in a boiler wouldn't do much harm, unless you're in poor living conditions to start with.
Quote by neopowell
If that's a David Firth reference then you're my new favourite person.

Burnt-Face Man
The stove in our student accommodation is ****e so we have to boil the water in a kettle first or it'd take all day.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I always use cold. What is the point of running the tap for a year waiting for it to heat up when you can just stick cold in a kettle and be done in 3 mins?
As long as you're not putting more water in the pot/kettle than needed; cold.
I don't see the point in running all that water away while you wait for it to heat up out of the tap.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
As long as you're not putting more water in the pot/kettle than needed; cold.
I don't see the point in running all that water away while you wait for it to heat up out of the tap.

hmm, my tap turns hot immediately? Well, almost immediately.
I think that Mistress Ibanez is right. The whole bacteria explanation seems really weird considering that tap water is potable. Why would you drink it, but not cook in it?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by zwound
hmm, my tap turns hot immediately? Well, almost immediately.

Well lah de dah, aren't we fancy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by adyhendrixc
Burnt-Face Man

I think I may just want to molest you.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Just out of curiosity, does no one in your house shower? I'm asking because, if you all are like me and my family, there is no way our little fifty gallon water heater could hold enough water for weeks of showers and washing dishes and doing laundry. So, I don't think it has been in there for weeks but is most likely refreshed at least every few days.

So, I don't think it matters. Like others have said, I just use cold so I don't have to stand at the faucet and wait for it to heat up.
There's traces of copper in the pipe for the hot water so I've been told to always use cold water
I've always used cold water, mostly through habit but because it's also nicer.
If (in my house anyway) you get some hot water out of the tap, let it cool and drink it it's nasty compared to the cold water.
Cold water just seems fresher and better for you, plus it's a waste of the hot water from the tank if you use the hot tap.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
The hot water from the tap dissolves more ions on the way to the tap than cold water does, which is why hot water tastes funny. Also, the majority of the ions in hot water aren't good for you, and they don't go away if you boil the water.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.