Page 1 of 6
I've always thought.....okay.

let's take the hypothetical situation out of the Bible, ABEL and CAIN. Now Abel is a kind person. Kind guy. Cain kills him. Cain passes on his murderous selfish genes to his children, which incidentally are also the ones that enabled him to survive.

Point being, that the genes which also cause people to act selfishly and self-centered, are ALSO the ones that enabled them to survive in those times....I mean, it was a jungle out there. You had to be tough.

So, this is why we're all fucgked up nao. because our nature (lets assume the exculsion of a soul or any of that spiritual matter, and we are all made up of biological matter).

/rathersimplistic15yearoldmindrambling.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Is there something you want to discuss here or are you simply trying to make a statement? Write a blog instead.
Deckard Cain will identify any items for you for free if you rescue him. I like him.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
So you just basically explained survival of the fittest in its simplist forms.

That being said, there's varying degrees of it.
You can not be selfish, and murderous, but still be enough to survive.
Quote by Sursomsatan
Is there something you want to discuss here or are you simply trying to make a statement? Write a blog instead.

yes. I forgot to add, please discuss and feel free to refute my tiny brain. because it's been bothering me like a bag of milk on my doorstep for quite some time now.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
The genes that cause us to kill people don't necessarily help us to survive. Do you see species in nature killing their own kind on a daily basis? Not often, and it hasn't hindered their ability to survive. Sure, a killing instinct is useful for some species, but we're a species that survives as a community; in our case, the genes you're talking about aren't beneficial in the slightest.
I don't believe that murder, at least in a societal context is genetic.
Life is lame so let me eat your brain
OT, but wasnt it the mother who made him kill him? then wear a rug so the blind father wouldnt take notice because he was favouring him? Or have I completely messed up on what I was taught some 15 years ago?:O.

On a more serious note. Animals who are highly territorial either live in solitude or kill/seriously injure each others to keep the rank.

Murder in society all depends on what levels of society we're talking.

In todays society, we're so far away that it's frowned upon. Back in the good ol days it was probably pretty common to kill somebody for messing with you. Heck we're slowly going back to those days.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Now if these so called sins are genetic, try explaining to a Christian that homosexuality can also be passed on in such a way. The bible is stupid. Any logical conclusion will be blown down "because God doesn't do that."
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
Now if these so called sins are genetic, try explaining to a Christian that homosexuality can also be passed on in such a way. The bible is stupid. Any logical conclusion will be blown down "because God doesn't do that."

I agree.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
The genes that cause us to kill people don't necessarily help us to survive. Do you see species in nature killing their own kind on a daily basis? Not often, and it hasn't hindered their ability to survive. Sure, a killing instinct is useful for some species, but we're a species that survives as a community; in our case, the genes you're talking about aren't beneficial in the slightest.

But what about selfishness?

surely this natural instinct was aboslutely to the past civilizations. And it is true today.

Of course, there were communities of humans that existed, but mostly only due to mutual benfit, there was no "charity" or anything of that sort. They KNEW that killing the other person wasn't going to provide them with any long-term benefits, so they enetered into agreements in which there was mutual gain.
Of course there is no such thing as "mutual gain", something has to give to get this gain, so therein enters inequalities of societies and such.

maybe there are exceptions to this, such as the love between mother and child that seems to be present in humans as an inherent behavior (I think...I may need to brush up on this).
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Sursomsatan
Milk comes in bags now?

back in the good 'ol days boy,

THEY CAME IN BOOB.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
We're all different in our gene make-up, different traits and such. Mutations cause us to adapt to certain conditions and situations, but would make us worse in others. Peruvians have thicker (is it thinner?) blood than most due to the average altitudes etc.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
But what about selfishness?

surely this natural instinct was aboslutely to the past civilizations. And it is true today.

Of course, there were communities of humans that existed, but mostly only due to mutual benfit, there was no "charity" or anything of that sort. They KNEW that killing the other person wasn't going to provide them with any long-term benefits, so they enetered into agreements in which there was mutual gain.
Of course there is no such thing as "mutual gain", something has to give to get this gain, so therein enters inequalities of societies and such.

maybe there are exceptions to this, such as the love between mother and child that seems to be present in humans as an inherent behavior (I think...I may need to brush up on this).

The genes that cause people to kill one another aren't the same ones that cause selfishness. There are two things that bring people to murder:

1.environment
2.genetics

Most murders are caused by the former, but some are caused by the latter. The genes in the second category aren't the ones that cause selfishness, they are the ones that cause people not to have the normal mental boundaries that most have. These are not beneficial in any way, from an evolutionary standpoint.

and CliffIsAngry, you're thinking of Jacob and Esau.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
The genes that cause people to kill one another aren't the same ones that cause selfishness. There are two things that bring people to murder:

1.environment
2.genetics

Most murders are caused by the former, but some are caused by the latter. The genes in the second category aren't the ones that cause selfishness, they are the ones that cause people not to have the normal mental boundaries that most have. These are not beneficial in any way, from an evolutionary standpoint.

and CliffIsAngry, you're thinking of Jacob and Esau.

I wasn't talking about murder....sorry for the confusion, but more on selfishness. Whether in manifests itself in the knowledge of future long-term or short term benefits for oneself...I think that's an asset to survival.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I wasn't talking about murder....sorry for the confusion, but more on selfishness. Whether in manifests itself in the knowledge of future long-term or short term benefits for oneself...I think that's an asset to survival.

Then yes, I'd say that it's an asset to survival. However, we should be able to rely enough on our own intelligence to keep those instincts from leading us to crimes.

Quote by Ulalume

You're making the common mistake of applying the mentalities of a small number of fundamentalists to the entire Christian faith. Any well-read christian would know full-well that homosexuals are no more sinful than every other person.
Cain and Abel didn't actually exist.

In the real world it was actually the unselfish altruistic males who succeeded most. Those who were selfish and greedy and self centred were pushed out of the tribe and left to fend for themselves, unable to breed and usually just dying off. The altruistic males became alpha-males and passed on their genes. We see evidence of this is our primate cousins.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Laces Out Danny

let's take the hypothetical situation out of the Bible, ABEL and CAIN. Now Abel is a kind person. Kind guy. Cain kills him. Cain passes on his murderous selfish genes to his children, which incidentally are also the ones that enabled him to survive.

Point being, that the genes which also cause people to act selfishly and self-centered, are ALSO the ones that enabled them to survive in those times....I mean, it was a jungle out there. You had to be tough.

So, this is why we're all fucgked up nao. because our nature (lets assume the exculsion of a soul or any of that spiritual matter, and we are all made up of biological matter).

This is pretty irrelevant to genetics, only a maximum of 4 alleles existed at the time for any one locus, and for there to be women for Cain to marry it means Adam and Eve were fucking over-time to produce enough children to make a population out of, so unless the systematically butchered every child that came out with the "pussy configuration" of Adam then those genes would be represented in the gene pool anyway.

Anyhoo, such logic says something about God really, doesn't it? I mean you're insinuating that God purposefully created genes of a "murderous selfish" nature,

That's kinda a shitty thing for an all-loving God to do, eh?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Cain and Abel didn't actually exist.

In the real world it was actually the unselfish altruistic males who succeeded most. Those who were selfish and greedy and self centred were pushed out of the tribe and left to fend for themselves, unable to breed and usually just dying off. The altruistic males became alpha-males and passed on their genes. We see evidence of this is our primate cousins.

And vampire bats.
Quote by freedoms_stain
This is pretty irrelevant to genetics, only a maximum of 4 alleles existed at the time for any one locus, and for there to be women for Cain to marry it means Adam and Eve were fucking over-time to produce enough children to make a population out of, so unless the systematically butchered every child that came out with the "pussy configuration" of Adam then those genes would be represented in the gene pool anyway.

Anyhoo, such logic says something about God really, doesn't it? I mean you're insinuating that God purposefully created genes of a "murderous selfish" nature,

That's kinda a shitty thing for an all-loving God to do, eh?

Obviously, Eve didn't look the way she is portrayed most of the time.
God actually made her a multi-wombed, multi-vagina'd, multi-genome'd chimeric creature that could have 40 foetuses gestating simultaneously.
Quote by Deadmen
You do not pass personality traits through genes, personality is made through life experiences ect.

Well, some traits are very much chemical

Quote by MightyAl
Obviously, Eve didn't look the way she is portrayed most of the time.
God actually made her a multi-wombed, multi-vagina'd, multi-genome'd chimeric creature that could have 40 foetuses gestating simultaneously.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Well, some traits are very much chemical

I'm pretty sure Ripley only had 1 vagina....
O wait.
Quote by MightyAl
I'm pretty sure Ripley only had 1 vagina....
O wait.

"Oh and God sayeth unto Eve, 'get away from her you bitch' and Eve complied."
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Laces Out Danny

The main problem with this is that you assume Cain and Abel were actually real people.

I would go into a rant about altruism but I believe it is a waste of time...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Kensai
"Oh and God sayeth unto Eve, 'get away from her you bitch' and Eve complied."

Now it all makes sense!
God could easily have created the world in such a short time if he'd had a power loader!
Quote by Guitardude19
The main problem with this is that you assume Cain and Abel were actually real people.

I would go into a rant about altruism but I believe it is a waste of time...

Altruism is a waste of time, or ranting about altruism is a waste of time?
In all the genetic work I've done, the only example of personality traits are symptomatic ones from genetic disorders, and even then it's just tendency- for example, a study showed a fair few cases of Y chromosome aneuploidy (XYY) in a violent prison population. However, there's plenty of other XYY males who live perfectly normal lives. It's the nature vs nurture arguement.

It may be possible that genes can influence overall personality- I haven't looked into it myself- but that would require us to know how the brain works, something which we are far from understanding.
Quote by MightyAl
Altruism is a waste of time, or ranting about altruism is a waste of time?

Ranting about it is a waste of time.

It will be lost on the threadstarter.
Typicals losers come in trying to disprove God or the Bible. Lmao
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Quote by ChillofWinter
Typicals losers come in trying to disprove God or the Bible. Lmao

Well... Anyone with half a brain realises that the adam and eve story just doesnt make sense.
Quote by Guitardude19

Well... Anyone with half a brain realises that the adam and eve story just doesnt make sense.

Well... Anyone with half a brain realises that there is absolute nothing to gain either for yourself , or the person you are "debating" with over the existance of God. There opinion will not be swayed by some randomn little bugger on a guitar forum and neither will yours.

So have some manners and respect please. Oh and perhaps some of your precious "logic" will help you realise when its not worth arguing something.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Quote by ChillofWinter
Well... Anyone with half a brain realises that there is absolute nothing to gain either for yourself , or the person you are "debating" with over the existance of God. There opinion will not be swayed by some randomn little bugger on a guitar forum and neither will yours.

So have some manners and respect please. Oh and perhaps some of your precious "logic" will help you realise when its not worth arguing something.
Whether or not Adam and Eve could have existed or not has very little to do with God.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Whether or not Adam and Eve could have existed or not has very little to do with God.

Well guess what , you will almost 99% surely NEVER EVER know if they did or not , so why debate it?

Hey guys , why dont you try and guess my favorite colour , but I wont respond to any answers.
- Socrates

You seem to be missing the point of the bible: to destroy sceince and with it, genetics.

I mean, how do you think Adam and Eve were created? That's right, David Blaine made them.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ChillofWinter
Well guess what , you will almost 99% surely NEVER EVER know if they did or not , so why debate it?

Hey guys , why dont you try and guess my favorite colour , but I wont respond to any answers.
I do because Adam and Eve supposedly existed between 6000 and 7000 years ago and the human race is at least 100,000 to 200,000 years old.

Therefore I'm 100% sure that they did not.
Quote by ScottElwood
You seem to be missing the point of the bible: to destroy sceince and with it, genetics.

I mean, how do you think Adam and Eve were created? That's right, David Blaine made them.

Rubbish. Al Gore invented them, so that someone would be able to use the internet when he invented that.