So the other day i snapped a string and went to the guitar shop to get a new g string.
The guys handed me a thin g string for a 12 string, which is all good.
But now everytime i play it, it sounds like its bending, unless i tune it down.

So, can someone shine some light on my situation?
Do i need to get a different string? Have i restrung it wrong?
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
isn't .12 too thin for a G?
my G string is 17, my B is 13...
So I think they might have given you a b string then?
Actually, i meant i have a 12 string guitar, and that this is the thin g string. as in G g.

Still, your suggestion is a good one. Maybe the string is too thin..
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
It's an acoustic, slow it down, get some lemonade, go to the beach, play "i'm yours" by jason mraz, get women...
Quote by saberrocks
oh wait, it's a 12 string guitar xD
nevermind what i just said

haha, too late was the cry
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Did you tune it to an octave above the other G string? Or did you tune it to the same octave? 12 string octave strings need to be one octave above their counterpart strings, only the B and high E octave strings are tuned in unison, no octave difference.
Hmm, thats actually a good point, and not having my guitar with me right now is a problem.
Would you recommend tuning it up then?

Urgh now there'll be the chance of snappage.
I'm not sure about this. haha
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
I'd recommend that you first find out what octave you currently have the octave G string tuned to and take it from there. If it's the same octave as the normal G string, then bring it up another octave until you hit G again and all should be right with the world. To check if it's the same octave or one higher, simply tune your normal G string to standard G, then strike both strings simultaneously. If they ring exactly the same note, it's off. If you want to see if it's one octave higher, fret the normal G at the 12th fret and pluck it and the octave G at the same time(open of course), and they should ring out the same note at the same octave. This is what you are gunning for.
Riggghht, thanks for that.
I'll give it a whirl.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
You probaly just should have gotten a whole new set of strings instead.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Nexium
You probaly just should have gotten a whole new set of strings instead.

No. Just No.
Telling me to restring a 12 string guitar, after only using them for nearly a month is taking the piss.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Quote by tom the taffer
No. Just No.
Telling me to restring a 12 string guitar, after only using them for nearly a month is taking the piss.

LMAO!
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by LeftyDave
So tom, how'd you make out? Any luck so far?

It went and snapped. Which means it was too thin?
I'm getting tired of these shannigans. Would you recommend a gauge for me to go for?

But thanks for the guidance, i feel like i'm making some progress with this.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Quote by Solid S/hit
LMAO!

Wow, thanks for the sig I feel all proud inside.
Even if i did overreact a bit.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Quote by tom the taffer
It went and snapped. Which means it was too thin?
I'm getting tired of these shannigans. Would you recommend a gauge for me to go for?

But thanks for the guidance, i feel like i'm making some progress with this.

Personally I'd use either a .009 or .010 gauge string for the octave G.
Lot's of people have troubles with this string, so you're certainly not alone here. Many also simply omit the octave G because of this issue. A .009" will be able to get up to the required note, but is as thin as an electric guitars high E, meaning it's going to be bendy and will take a light touch in order to not force notes sharp while fretting.
By the way, .009" is the recommended string for a 12 string set of lights for the octave G, and .010" is for medium lights.
Where is the string breaking? If it's snapping at the same spot continually, see if you can find a burr or anything else that may be wearing at the string causing it to fail prematurely.