Hey there low toners,

Im really interested in getting this head, even though i havent even played it haha

I feel like a bit of a tool, but i just love the look of it, and tube amps are just amazing.

so i was wondering if anyone one knows how it really goes, and how it rates to other ampeg heads, tube or solid state ?

allsoo, i dont even have the money for the head, but i'm going to need to make the big upgrade when i get enough money because my bands geting bigger gigs.

At the moment i have a Ampeg BA210 combo, and that tone is sweet! i just need the balls and grunt of something bigger.

not sure if i want a fridge either, or get two cabs 4 x 10 and 1x15
beacause at the moment i live in a apartment, up stairs haha, so lugging a 8x10 would be something ridiculous

ampeg of course. i just love ampeg.

cheers
Last edited by bassinbrad at Feb 24, 2009,
Great amp if you got the dough. I used to play though one with an 8x10 cab (our singer used to play bass, but now just sings so I got to use his gear when I joined the band).
My bass player has had his SVT350 with a 2x10 cab and a 1x15cab for about two years for live and recording. Superb amp for its class. You won't be pissed it you buy it. I think that getting two cabs is a great idea as well.
AL
haha yeah. dough is exactly what i dont have at the moment. but i just hate the thought of settling for less.

but i think its worth it, as it is something i can have for a very long time, i wouldnt need to upgrade
it really is a great amp. It will most likely have the same voicing as your 210, but it will sound a whole lot better. I would try and find one used that was made in the states if you dont mind used gear.
i dont mind used gear at all, if its gonna perform as well and last as well as a new one, i'd love it.
You have to tery it to know it. It will be alot different to your solid state combo. Youll love it or hate it. Also theres maintanence, new tubes, servicing, biasing. all costs money and if you play alot youll have to get it done evreyyear. The cabs also contribute alot to the overall tone. It is still a class of its own though, and if you do like it have the money, go american made for sure and SLM i think it is made if you can. But go try it out fool.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
definately gonna go try it out soon hey!

and maybe try an fender jazz too haha, i have some weird new obsesison with that bass haha
Quote by fatgoogle
You have to tery it to know it. It will be alot different to your solid state combo. Youll love it or hate it. Also theres maintanence, new tubes, servicing, biasing. all costs money and if you play alot youll have to get it done evreyyear. The cabs also contribute alot to the overall tone. It is still a class of its own though, and if you do like it have the money, go american made for sure and SLM i think it is made if you can. But go try it out fool.

Nope. If your tubes are properly biased, and you have high-quality, non-flawed tubes from the start, they should last for YEARS without any problems. Preamp tubes will essentially last forever, provided there are no faults from initial manufacture, dropping them, etc. Modern-production power tubes from Eastern Europe and China can go for 5-10 years if properly biased and not physically abused, and NOS tubes can go for much longer than that. Tube amps are very solid and reliable; it should be a given that anything you own is worth taking care of (i.e. not running it incorrectly, dropping/bashing it, etc). Getting your amp rebiased once a year or more is a great way to keep your tubes healthy. Tubes and transistors have the SAME service lives, and both require biasing. However, the reason SS amps don't have bias pots is because much more trouble can be caused from an error, and they're less susceptible to wandering throughout said service life.

The reason most people think that tubes are unreliable and need constant service and replacement is because....well.... the tube companies need to sell tubes! They put out all kinds of propaganda in this regard. The reason people don't go out and get their amps re-transistored is because Aspen Pittman isn't selling transistors

With the cabs, you'll need to be running the amp at a 4 or 2 ohm load at all times. I'd recommend a modular setup if you cannot work with a big 8x10. And I do agree that you should stay away from the Vietnamese SVT's. Get a 70's or 80's SVT if possible, or an SVT-II non-pro. The Japanese-made SVT's of the 80's are amazing, too. These are all generally preferred to newer amps in terms of tone. However, the American-made SLM heads are killer as well. Just try before you buy, and make sure it suits your needs.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Feb 24, 2009,
Ok ok i was only going by what i had heard MD88, on

talkbass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah, I got most of my info from conversations with PBG over tube amps, and he seems like the kind of guy that'd smite my brains out with a vintage SVT if I didn't relay his gospels No offense intended.

BTW, I'm not an Ampeg guy, so I'm trying to be as objective as possible.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez