So.

My band is playing in a battle of the bands in a couple of weeks, and we were recently given the information about the house gear. For the drummer, bassist and keyboard player, that is all fine, the house gear is actually pretty good. Ampeg bass amp, tama drums, oh, but, a 100 watt Line 6 Spider III is the guitar amp i would have to use. And to top it off, the gig is a long ways from my house, and i simply don't have enough room in my car to bring my own amp + guitar + bass player and his bass.

Yeah...

I've played on it once, and, hated it. I'm not too worried about the distortion, i use fuzz pedal and a slight overdrive from an old TS model throughout every song, and i won't need too use the amp distortion. But, is there a way to make it not sound like balls?

I mean, even running through a clean patch, it always had some sort of reverb or compression that totally sucks my tone, and makes it sound like absolute balls. And basically, i have to play through it.

Is there like a bypass or something? I tried searching for advice, but couldn't find anything. Could i borrow my mates RP500, and plug strait into the PA using the XLA outputs? I haven't tried that, and, it could also sound like balls i'm guessing, but, would it be better than the spider?

Any suggestions? I appreciate your help.
Quote by tachyon
So.

And to top it off, the gig is a long ways from my house, and i simply don't have enough room in my car to bring my own amp + guitar + bass player and his bass.

There's the key of your problem, send the guy with somebodyelse and take your amp with you.
dude suck it up or find a way. If you can find a small amp mic and PA then you might be able to bring your own stuff, but if you dont have it it can get kinda pricey...
not really possible mate. even if he isn't in the car with me, i'm still going to be driving my crappy ass hatchback, which i doubt will fit my 2 X 12 combo marshall and my guitar.
If you are bringing your own distortion you should be fine. I know that even the clean channel on those amps are pretty sterile. Just level out the eq on the head (to "5") and use the tone knob(s) on your pedal(s) to shape the eq. Then,back to the head's eq to nudge it to your taste. Then, let 'er rip. If you wanted to use you rp500, don't go just go to the board alone. If you do you, will have no stage volume (just mains and monitors). That's not cool. You could split the signal out of the RP500 and 50% to the line6 and 50% to the board. If you do that, you will compromise signal quality (tone), but it would work. If it were me, I'd just have them mic the line 6 cab and say f$%k it. You'll be alright. Rock out!!!
AL
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by tachyon
not really possible mate. even if he isn't in the car with me, i'm still going to be driving my crappy ass hatchback, which i doubt will fit my 2 X 12 combo marshall and my guitar.

What Marshall combo?

I think that it would more than likely fit the combo in the back seat if you put the guitar in the hatch, the amp on the back seat and the bass guitar between the seats stretching to the back...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Hehe, keep in mind that since you're playing life your tone doesn't matter that much. 90% of the audience will have no clue what a good sound is and what a bad sound is. Just play a ****in good show, keep the crowd jumpin and headbanging and don't care that much about your tone
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by Brendan.Clace
What Marshall combo?

I think that it would more than likely fit the combo in the back seat if you put the guitar in the hatch, the amp on the back seat and the bass guitar between the seats stretching to the back...

I was about to ask that!

2x12 marshall combos all come in different sizes so we may be able to help.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by OrangeWalls
Hehe, keep in mind that since you're playing life your tone doesn't matter that much. 90% of the audience will have no clue what a good sound is and what a bad sound is. Just play a ****in good show, keep the crowd jumpin and headbanging and don't care that much about your tone

I agree.
AL
i'm not sure of the exact model, it's one of the AVT amps i believe. It isn't the greatest amp out there, but, it's a bit better than the damn spider.

I think you overestimate the size of my crappy hatchback. Ever seen a proton gen 2? No. didn't think so. I know for a fact that my guitar does not fit in the boot (trunk, whatever you want to call it), it's just too long. Even on a diagonal, the guitar doesn't fit. I also know that the amp is wider than the boot as well because of the stupid design inside it. So, they would all have to go on the back seat. <--- would rather not get my guitar crushed by large amplifier in case of an accident.

Totally understand the point about having a crap tone and just playing like there's no tomorrow, but, there is a line between them not caring and my ears bleeding because of the monitoring. :P

And, about the splitting from RP500, it's possible to run out to both an amp and PA, but, is running a fuzz and od into the bypass channel really going to sound any good?
Last edited by tachyon at Feb 24, 2009,