Basically I'm looking to get a new guitar as mine is just falling apart. It will be my second guitar and I have a budget of roughly £450.
I play in a metal band and I need something with a fast neck, good action, good bridge and some nice pickups.
I play in Drop D mostly occasionaly i tune down to Drop C, so I will be using heavier gauge strings.
I use a Zoom-G2 effects processor but am looking to get a Boss-MT2 instead.
I don't play all that much lead/solos but I do play some technical rythm pieces.
Wondering if anybody could give me any recommendations?
Thanks alot!
Last edited by CXloud at Feb 24, 2009,
Cort EVL
Most Ibanez guitars.
Jacksons
ESP LTDs
Cort KX5FR (im not sure its widely available yet)
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Buy an Epiphone, and perhaps do a pickup swap.
Oh wait, you said a fast neck. I assume a LP/SG neck may not be the ticket.

Maybe look for the Ibanez SV series [make the trem rest on the body - can then tune to whatever tuning you want]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Excellent guys thanks alost. I'll check some of them out.
Is there any in particular you could recommend that aren't, but might come close to and EMG active 81, or 81/85 set, or Seymour Duncan set-up?
An RG series?

Im not sure how much that is in american dollars?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
That Cort KX5FR is very nice with Motherbuckers, the Cort bridge, big radius fretboard and is a steal at £270. guitars.co.uk
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have to say the washburn X-50 pro is a very tempting guitar,
sounds brilliant, and not a bad price.
But the cort KX5FR is a steal and sounds like a quality piece.
Although I can't say I've ever come across motherbucker zebras before.
How do they sound?
I mostly use digital effects, like my zoomG2 which is hoocked up to an MG100DFX head an MG412A cab.
So I need something that sounds well with that kind of equipment.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
An RG series?

Im not sure how much that is in american dollars?

+1

The necks on the RGs are flat and fast...and it fits your description very good.
Quote by CXloud
I have to say the washburn X-50 pro is a very tempting guitar,
sounds brilliant, and not a bad price.
But the cort KX5FR is a steal and sounds like a quality piece.
Although I can't say I've ever come across motherbucker zebras before.
How do they sound?
I mostly use digital effects, like my zoomG2 which is hoocked up to an MG100DFX head an MG412A cab.
So I need something that sounds well with that kind of equipment.

Nothing will sound good with that equipment.
Quote by Horlicks
Nothing will sound good with that equipment.

For real?
I get a pretty decent tone at the moment,
Just my guitar sucks.
and that's all I got for now, that's why I was going to go for an MT-2, analogue stompbox as opposed to my processor which is a pain in the ass most of the time.
I'm just looking for a guitar that plays/sounds better for now and I'll worry about the other equipment later.
My current guitar is a Tanglewood TSE605. It's just fallen apart, the neck is back bowed, the bridge rattles. so do the frets I have pretty much no sustain from frets 10-22.
It has entwistle darkstar pickups. and it's just knackered.
I've had it for about 2 years now. paid £320 for it, not worth the money.
Last edited by CXloud at Feb 24, 2009,
Like I said above look into an ibanez RG or S
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Yeah. Put the money we save you into a decent amp. You should get something for either the MG head or Head & cab and I see there's new Hiwatt combos out that'll be a brilliant match without the usual Hiwatt price tag.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Yeah. Put the money we save you into a decent amp. You should get something for either the MG head or Head & cab and I see there's new Hiwatt combos out that'll be a brilliant match without the usual Hiwatt price tag.

Just because it says HiWatt on doesn't make it good.
Haha, yer now worries, After this I'll look into getting a new amp.
I just REALLY don't know what guitar to get, I've not heard the best things abouts the Edge III tremelo, which comes on most ibanez guitars. But I've heard great things about the Wizard necks.
So I'm just stuck!!
Quote by CXloud
Haha, yer now worries, After this I'll look into getting a new amp.
I just REALLY don't know what guitar to get, I've not heard the best things abouts the Edge III tremelo, which comes on most ibanez guitars. But I've heard great things about the Wizard necks.
So I'm just stuck!!

They make hardtail RG's too......
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
They make hardtail RG's too......

Okay so what about an RG-321 hardtail?
Quote by CXloud
Okay so what about an RG-321 hardtail?

Those are quite nice guitars especially for the intermediate player, I think you should go for that or something similiar as an ibanez RG basically fits your specs exactly.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Awesome I think I might have to go for one.
Are there any others higher up in the series that would be better?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get as many suggestions as possible before I decide.
Thanks.
Quote by CXloud
Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get as many suggestions as possible before I decide.
Thanks.

No Im pretty much the ibanez guy around here but first I need to the euros converted as im in america

Leth_Edit: NVM got it let me get on MF one sec
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by CXloud
Thanks.

As I said above the RG should fit you perfectly. The RG321 is a great guitar...I have the RG3EX1 which is essentially the same guitar but with a quilted maple finish. The stock pickups sound decent as well. I would go for the hardtail version, especially if you're going to change tunings a lot. The Edge III isn't a terrible tremolo...it will work fine for you unless you're a whammy abuser...which most people aren't Ibanez make great guitars. I have 3 and they're all great.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Feb 24, 2009,
Oh yer sure no problem.
£450 GBP is $651.41 USD

that's my maximum budget.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
As I said above the RG should fit you perfectly. The RG321 is a great guitar...I have the RG3EX1 which is essentially the same guitar but with a quilted maple finish. The stock pickups sound decent as well. I would go for the hardtail version, especially if you're going to change tunings a lot. The Edge III isn't a terrible tremolo...it will work fine for you unless you're a whammy abuser...which most people aren't Ibanez make great guitars. I have 3 and they're all great.

Okay excellent. Well I'm not a Whammy abuser, I don't have one myself but playing other peoples guitars I've never really felt the need to use one. not really one for divebombs. haha.
I think I'll go for a hardtail version, unless anyone can broaden the range for me.
Oh also whats peoples opinion on an ESP LTD F-250?
Check these out from ibanez these are my recommendations as the resident ibanez enthusiast

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2570Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=518082

Prestige series are the top of the line for ibanez you cant get any better without buying a JEM

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S620EXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512501

The S Series are worth a look as well ive heard the ZR trems are great if you would like a whammy.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGT42FX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512399

Ive played this guitar also and the playabilitly on it is AMAZING I loved it wished I couldve bought it right then.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by eyebanez333

Excellent thanks for the suggestions!!
They all seem like great guitars!!
I'll look into them a bit more.

Also has anybody ever bought a guitar without playing it before??
only that Alot of the guitars I've looked at and are a possible purchase, I have nowhere close to travel to in order to try them out for myself.
It'd be a pretty stupid idea right?
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Check these out from ibanez these are my recommendations as the resident ibanez enthusiast

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2570Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=518082

Prestige series are the top of the line for ibanez you cant get any better without buying a JEM

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S620EXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512501

The S Series are worth a look as well ive heard the ZR trems are great if you would like a whammy.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGT42FX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512399

Ive played this guitar also and the playabilitly on it is AMAZING I loved it wished I couldve bought it right then

Thanks alot for the suggestions!!
I can see you're a big ibanez fan.
I'll be looking into these too.
This has been an interesting thread to me as I have a very similar guitar and it got me wondering what I would replace it with if it were damaged or stolen. Here's a few suggestions you may want to consider:

Ibanez RGT42 = £439

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66783

I'm bound to say this as I have one already and love it, though I have had the expense of upgrading the pickups. It's a great buy and I'd get it again but only if it had the Edge Pro II bridge. Later ones had the Edge III which isn't as good. This company appear to be selling one with the EPII so could be worth a look.

Ibanez S470 = £399-£468

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12078

This link takes you to the one with a maple top so it's a little over your budget at $468 but if you get one in just mahogany then it's only £399. There are downsides to this as it only has 22 frets and isn't a thru-neck BUT it looks as sexy as hell, is great to play and has a really good trem system as well as more tonal options from 3 pickups. I'd still upgrade the pickups eventually but it's fantastic value for what you get.

Jackson SL3 = £749

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1258

OK, it's a long way over your budget but you do get a lot of guitar for your cash and by the time you've upgraded the pups on the Ibanez you'd be closer and still have a better trem as I THINK this one uses an OFR. Although I prefer Bare Knuckle pups to Seymour Duncan, I'd still keep the standard ones for the foreseeable future as they're really good and though I prefer mahogany, alder is still a very good tone wood. There's a lot to like on this guitar and I suspect that if I lost my RGT42 in some way, I may well save the extra for this.

Cort X-TH = £675

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Guitars_co_uk_X_TH_BKT_276.html

Again, this is way over budget but you do get the thru-neck, a mahogany body and a set of EMG 81/85 as pups. Furthermore, Cort make guitars for Ibanez, which is probably why the dimensions of the neck on this one are excactly the same as an Ibanez Wizard II. In fact, looking at the specification, this IS my current guitar with different pups and headstock! My only minor concern is the trem system as I'm not sure what it is but it's certainly excellent value and they do make fantastic guitars. I'd give this one serious consideration.

Cort X-11 = £387

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Guitars_co_uk_X_11_BCS_185.html

This is also pretty much an Ibanez in all but name and probably made in the same factory. It doesn't have the specification of the X-TH but then it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Cort EVL X4 = £432

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Guitars_co_uk_EVL_X4_BKS_81.html

Right on budget and a really good specification. This is very good value for what it is, which is again essentially an Ibanez.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Thanks alot for the suggestions guys!
I'm gonna have to go out see if I can find a place to test some of these out.
Would it be a bad idea to buy a guitar before having a chance to try it?
I'm assuming it would be.
I am highly on the Cort Side of this. Cort are amazingly fine instruments for what you pay. They are ibanezes but half the price. Made in the same factory and all. The EVLs are very nice, and the others like the x11 and the xth are very very nice. I have the KX5, but with a fixed bridge not FR. If I was going to give you some advice, get a cort.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination