Hi,

After the reception the last guitar made out of a shortbread tin got I made a new one last night and as you'll hear this one plays like a proper instrument. I'm still geting used to the feel of it but it's a much better instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZsBrAbzGZg

Original one is here .................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUFD7PI8oC0

Cheers
Last edited by chihuahuas at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
haha omg that is immense
my two favourite things, shortbread and guitar lol

RULE BRITANNIA
Hi again,

And thanks for the comments on the guitar.

I was asked on another forum for a note of how I made the guitar. Thought I'd post it incase it's of any use to anyone else................

1) Find a decent neck with a rod. I got mine for free in a local music store.
2) Work out where the bridge needs to be for the intonation to be right. Get the distance between the nut and and bridge correct and that will let you know roughly how long this guitar is going to be and what length the piece of wood needs to be that connects to the neck and runs throught hte body to the bottom of the guitar. It will also tell you where the tin should sit and where the bridge/t-bar should go (see below). Sounds harder than it is - once you start you'll see what I'm talking about.
3) Attach a piece of wood to the neck so it looks like a very long neck using the principals above. Then attach a perpedicular piece of wood to the bottom so that you have an upside down t-shape. The bottom piece of wood on the T should fit inside the shortbread tin. YOu can add light bits of wood to the construction inside the tin if you like to strengthen the whole thing - a good idea.
4) Put the tin onto this frame. Everything on the frame with the exception of the neck should fit neatly into the tin touching the sides of the tin.You may need to cut a space for the neck. You should now have a wooden t-shape structure that sits nicely inside the tin.
5) put the lid back on and again cut a space for the neck if need be.
6) Turn the guitar over and use wood screws to attach the tin to the wood. Do this at the bottom edges too.
7) get some garden twine/string and attach it to the machine pegs then hold them in place like a steel guitar string. This will let you know where to put the string hooks on the bottom to hold the strings and their spacing.
8) Screw in your 6 eyelet screws through the tin onto the bottom of the t-shape (you can see where on the video).
9) BRIDGE - This is the hard part - Connect your bridge through the tin to the bottom piece of wood on the T-shape (see rough position on the video). This will be trial and error depending on what you can find to make a bridge and where to place it for the correct intonation as mentioned earlier. You will also need to keep the garden twine string on to make sure the bridge is the rightish height for the action. If in doubt go for a high action as the bridge will settle down a bit I've found.
10. Put the strings on. Tune them up slowly and equally. If there are any mistakes or weaknesses in the structure you will start to see them at this point. It will take forever to tune up the first time. I recommend a clip on tuner for your sanity. Stick with it.
11. Slip the pickup under the strings and plug in your brand new Shortbread tin guitar.

I hope this helps and I'd love to see any results.

Best.
Quote by chihuahuas
Big long instructions

Holy crap, man. Thanks for typing all that out! I will definitely have to give this a try!
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Holy crap, man. Thanks for typing all that out! I will definitely have to give this a try!

Hope you build one soon. Post the pix.
You get a great tone out of that, it seems rediculous in a way! Good work though Any plans for a cigar box one?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeh, the tone of both has been good. I'm afraid that I'm beginning to wonder how much of the hype surrounding marketed branded guitars is true. As far as I can see the sound is most greatly affected by the strings and pickup. The neck makes it playable and that's it for electrics.

Doing this has taught me a lot about guitars and challanged a lot I thought I knew.

I have a cracker of a Peerless semi which is way better than any of these project guitars, so I'm not pretending a good guitar won't sound better but if you're looking for ways to make your own electric guitar tone sound better I would try experimenting with pick ups (cheap and expensive) and most definitely keep trying strings until you find something you like.

I'm currently using medium to heavy gauge brass elixers. They sound grittier and warmer than nickels on the biscuit tin.

On the point about the cigar box - THere's not many of the boxes floating around Glasgow I'm afraid.