Why doesn't the DS-1 get much respect? I got mine with a 10% off coupon at GC and it was already on sale at the time, so I paid around $25, which is a freaking awesome deal for *any* pedal.

I think it sounds pretty good for a $25 pedal. And there are lots of mods out there if you can handle a soldering iron and have a drill press.

Sure, the thing's not a boutique pedal, but I don't think I need to be embarassed if I have a DS-1 on my pedalboard.

Why all the hate?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
There's much better stuff out there.
Better quality, reliability, etc.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Some people quite like it.

You will notice that this forum is full of bandwagon haters, and the DS-1 unfortunately is one of those.

I find it too dry for my taste, and would much rather use the amp distortion and use an overdrive to boost if I need to.

However, it is a Boss pedal, and will survive a nuclear winter. Amazing build quality.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I personally see it the same way I see Marshall amps.
Many beginners think, "I need an amp: Marshall".
Many beginners also think, "I want a pedal: Boss".

The Marshall MG is a big selling amp and is cheap, therefore think it's the mutts nuts.
The DS-1 is a big selling pedal and is cheap, therefore think it's the mutts nuts.

PS. I'm not saying the DS-1 sucks in the same way as the MG does. It is good to say you can pick one up so cheap now; but it's just averagely average.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by ChrisN
I personally see it the same way I see Marshall amps.
Many beginners think, "I need an amp: Marshall".
Many beginners also think, "I want a pedal: Boss".

The Marshall MG is a big selling amp and is cheap, therefore think it's the mutts nuts.
The DS-1 is a big selling pedal and is cheap, therefore think it's the mutts nuts.

This in addition to what I said is my opinion on a lot of Boss stuff
It's not recommended or talked highly of because there are better options to save up to and it is simply not the most viable box to get. I have one for modifying

They are tough as hell though
3 things that survive nuclear holocaust

Cockroaches
Boss Pedals
Hilary Clinton
Quote by tallicaown
id rather save up any buy a Ibanez Tubescreamer wayy moree versatile

Who told you that?
They are basically only good as tiny gain boosts. they have barely any gain on tap and actually are only good as tighteners and solo boosts.
Because Ibanez made the Tubescreamer TS9

(despite the fact the majority of "want" in my rig is Boss, i have thouroughly searched and have been happy with what i have seen and think that will be ample for what i am going for musically)
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Last edited by eteam_sammy4him at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
It's not recommended or talked highly of because there are better options to save up to and it is simply not the most viable box to get. I have one for modifying

They are tough as hell though
3 things that survive nuclear holocaust

Cockroaches
Boss Pedals
Hilary Clinton

Clearly forgot Keith Richards
Yea you can't really compare a distortion pedal to an OD pedal. Both are different types of clipping; different beasts.
404: Sig not found.
It's a good starting point. They're not terrible pedals, but they do have some flaws. However, I don't think anybody is embarrassed to have one, if you paid $25 and don't get much its not a huge waste, and nobody would say it's totally worthless.

Boss's other distortions however, aren't any better, and some are worse!

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Hey, it was good enough for Kurt, and I do a lot of Nirvana covers. For doing grunge covers, it's hard to beat a DS-1. Maybe a Super Distortion, but that's kind of a different beast since it's switchable between "mellow" and "whack".
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Hey, it was good enough for Kurt, and I do a lot of Nirvana covers. For doing grunge covers, it's hard to beat a DS-1. Maybe a Super Distortion, but that's kind of a different beast since it's switchable between "mellow" and "whack".

If your doing alot of nirvana I can understand that. But Nirvana had a sort of Lo-fi fuzzy sound, which is key with the DS-1. Most of us do not recommend it becuase most kids want to use it as a serious distortion for thier solid state trash cans to play heavy metal on.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Most of us do not recommend it becuase most kids want to use it as a serious distortion for thier solid state trash cans to play heavy metal on.

WIN!

Possibly Sigged!
Quote by Highwaytohell
But Nirvana had a sort of Lo-fi fuzzy sound, which is key with the DS-1.

I agree. That bit of fuzz was a big part of Nirvana's sound, and you get that from the DS-1. Distortion + some fuzz.

I think some of the hate comes from folks who are comparing the DS-1 to an OD pedal, which it's not.

I'd love the pair up a DS-1 with a modern fuzz pedal like the MI Audio Neo Fuzz (which is on my GAS list).
Quote by Simsimius
There's much better stuff out there.
Better quality, reliability, etc.

+1

And this pedal is cheap...but most Boss stuff is overpriced imo
Simsimius,
I did not really care for the tone of my DS-1 but, how can you question the reliability of a Boss pedal? I've owned a lot and never has any of them ever failed. I have an original OD-1, never failed. If you believe Boss is unreliable, I would think I probably have Boss pedals older than you. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but, that post was ridiculous.
Quote by Tube Screamer
Simsimius,
I did not really care for the tone of my DS-1 but, how can you question the reliability of a Boss pedal? I've owned a lot and never has any of them ever failed. I have an original OD-1, never failed. If you believe Boss is unreliable, I would think I probably have Boss pedals older than you. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but, that post was ridiculous.

My post was not ridiculous. Your post is ridiculous.

I was stating that Boss pedals don't sound as good as other alternatives - even taking into account the price. That is not a ridiculous thing to post.

And yes, they do fail. Not really the construction, but the electronics do, on occasion, mess up for quite a few people.
Of course, it's not common, and all pedals have a degree of failure too.
But I've probably heard more stories about Boss pedals failing then most others.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Feb 24, 2009,
I feel ya. They are really good pedals. They have been around forever like the RAT. The RAT has a little more notoriety and sounds a little better. But, yeah the DS-1 is a hell of a pedal. Steve Vai uses it in with his live rig.
AL
Quote by Simsimius
My post was not ridiculous. Your post is ridiculous.

I was stating that Boss pedals don't sound as good as other alternatives - even taking into account the price. That is not a "idiculous thing to post.

And yes, they do fail. Not really the construction, but the electronics do, on occasion, mess up for quite a few people.
Of course, it's not common, and all pedals have a degree of failure too.
But I've probably heard more stories about Boss pedals failing then most others.

Well, that's probably due in part because they're cheap, so people buy a lot of them and kick them around. Hence, lots of broken boss pedals.

However, I will vouch that they are made solidly, I've opened up many boss pedals and for the most part they hold up well. There are some aspects of them that are prone to breaking (like when you open them up you can easily tear up the wiring if you're not careful) but there aren't any gaping design flaws like, say, the Ibanez sound tank pedals, which had a habit of cracking their PCB board.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Cutlass_253
Well, that's probably due in part because they're cheap, so people buy a lot of them and kick them around. Hence, lots of broken boss pedals.

However, I will vouch that they are made solidly, I've opened up many boss pedals and for the most part they hold up well. There are some aspects of them that are prone to breaking (like when you open them up you can easily tear up the wiring if you're not careful) but there aren't any gaping design flaws like, say, the Ibanez sound tank pedals, which had a habit of cracking their PCB board.

I'm not saying they're made out of paper!
I know they are very well built in both aspects, but I have heard a lot about reliability.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
Because Ibanez made the Tubescreamer TS9

(despite the fact the majority of "want" in my rig is Boss, i have thouroughly searched and have been happy with what i have seen and think that will be ample for what i am going for musically)

the problem with that is that the TS9 is a different pedal to do a different job.

The DS-1 produces the type of hard clipping you just won't get from a tube amp, whereas the TS9 emulates the sound of an overdriven tube amp. Also the TS9 is twice the price, or more.

What people don't seem to understand is that the DS-1 is meant to sound harsh.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
the problem with that is that the TS9 is a different pedal to do a different job.

The DS-1 produces the type of hard clipping you just won't get from a tube amp, whereas the TS9 emulates the sound of an overdriven tube amp. Also the TS9 is twice the price, or more.

What people don't seem to understand is that the DS-1 is meant to sound harsh.

Once again, Highwaytohell's post applies... the DS-1 gets a bad rap from people who use it for sounds that deserve good overdrive. A kid I know used one with an MG half stack for RHCP-style music, and it was awful. But if I were to use it for a boost or even for something like Radiohead where the solo tone is harsh, that would sound really nice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Vitor_vdp
hahaha, quoted. You got quoted twice in one thread, kuddos man.

You should add Keith Richards in there

The original joke is from a Robin Williams standup skit
^Once again, it's all what you use them for.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Generally they dont get mentioned much because they sound like..

not if you know how to use pedals, and use them into a decent amp.

edit: beaten to it..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Who told you that?
They are basically only good as tiny gain boosts. they have barely any gain on tap and actually are only good as tighteners and solo boosts.

i have to disagree here, the ts is good for other things than just tighteners and solo boosts. maybe if you are playing metal, but it can also get a good lo-gain sound just infront of the amp. not what its usually used for, but it does work for that. its a good pedal because it can do more than just a couple things, and thats why i use mine a lot.

as for the DS-1, its downfalls have already been mentioned. however, i still think its probably the (or at least one of the) best first pedal for a person on a budget. youve got a cheap amp with horrible distortion, throw one of these in front of it and youve got some usable sounds. its also a great platform for modding, so once you get some better gear you can turn it into a pedal that stays in your rig.
tbh i dont like the DS-1 for anything, including harsh modern tones. it sounded crap for me

HOWEVER

with a soldering iron and half a brain (and assorted components) it can be transformed into an absolute beast
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
play a mi audio crunch box, then come back...i know its $100 more but 100x's better. Noone disses the ds-1, its just very noisy, and theres a lot of pedals that are better
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Holy ****. 25$ for a DS-1? I would buy a few of them just for the housing. A plain aluminium box and a few knobs are more expensive here than 25$.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
the ds-1 is a good pedal, not as good as a mi-audio crunch box, but nothing is. the ds-1 gets lots of **** cos people dont use them right, its a distortion-sustain. not a overdrive. and there not made for metal
I can tell you why all the hate. The new Taiwanese Boss DS1's aren't at all similar sounding to the old ones. They have a very distortion and so on. But for the price of most of the old ones, you could pick up a much nicer pedal. The second reason is because of it's very harsh distortion, it's kind of hard to get a nice tone out of. It's way too thin to work as a fuzz, but has too much gain for use as an overdrive. So the only thing you can get is a very harsh, mid-scooped distortion.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009