Page 1 of 2
It would make sense for all, not just floyd rose, guitars to have locking nuts, so you could tune & lock it and never go out of tune unless you cross the linear elastic limit of the strings.

Whereas now you will go out a bit even with locking tuners due to strings getting stuck in the nuts while bending, not to mention regular tuners giving way to the strings.
Last edited by 1337void at Feb 24, 2009,
Because they're ugly, and I'm pretty sure they only work with the Floyd Rose's micro-tuners.
If you want it so bad, just spend the $2 they cost and install it yourself.
superman is killing himself tonight
Because they sound different, and people like me are not willing to compromise on tone.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Yeah i think the locking nuts can be a hassle too.
But if i have a whammy bar, i definitely want the locking nut.
I'm back. Cower in fear, mortals.

Claudio Sanchez is my hero.
Because many guitars can hold their tuning just fine without one.
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
When you lock a locking nut the strings get knocked out of tune slightly and without fine tuners on the bridge side, it's pointless really
ohai little sig.
Well what if i wanted to bend behind the nut? locking nuts would stop me from doing that :P Eh?
Quote by Baby Joel
they only work with (the Floyd Rose's) micro-tuners.

this. as you lock the strings in the nut, they go sharp a bit > that's why the floys has micro-tuners

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
There's really no need. And I like the ability to change tunings. I'd never want a locking nut.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Because not every guitarist needs a locking nut,it's that simple.Just like not every guitarist needs a trem or 24 frets,it's all a matter of individual need and preference.Also,a well built guitar wont go out of tune because of bends and other finger techniques,well,at least every high quality instrument I've ever played didn't.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Devix_SG

this

guitars DONT need locking nuts to be in tune.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Also, don't forget about locking tuners. My guitar stays in tune just fine when I do divebombs on the non-FR trem for 20 minutes straight, beacuse of Grover 18:1 locking tuners.
Quote by Demonikk
When you lock a locking nut the strings get knocked out of tune slightly and without fine tuners on the bridge side, it's pointless really

+1

If the guitar didn't have fine tuners on the bridge, the strings would all be sharp
Quote by 1337void
It would make sense for all, not just floyd rose, guitars to have locking nuts, so you could tune & lock it and never go out of tune unless you cross the linear elastic limit of the strings.

Whereas now you will go out a bit even with locking tuners due to strings getting stuck in the nuts while bending, not to mention regular tuners giving way to the strings.

stretch your strings, wind them on the tuners properly.

Like everyone else has said, a locking nut is uselelss if you don't have fine tuners.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If I had a locking nut on a hardtail guitar, I'd kill myself.
There's no reason. Think about it, if you have tuning problems, get better tuners, a lot easier and more practical. If that fails, learn how to string it more effectively. A locking tuner would be a waste of time if you didn't have a locking trem. Hell sometimes it's a waste of time with a locking trem.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
If I had a locking nut on a hardtail guitar, I'd kill myself.
There's no reason. Think about it, if you have tuning problems, get better tuners, a lot easier and more practical. If that fails, learn how to string it more effectively. A locking tuner would be a waste of time if you didn't have a locking trem. Hell sometimes it's a waste of time with a locking trem.

I believe you mean locking nut. Not tuner.
Quote by Devix_SG

This.
Quote by hyphensprint
some people like to change tuning often and quick.

And this.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Devix_SG

This.

TS's idea is utterly idiotic.
Quote by 1337void

Lern2lube.

Also, locking tuners.

Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by USAPeavey
Because they sound different, and people like me are not willing to compromise on tone.

+1
AL
Quote by Demonikk

dude look at my dammed guitar. i have a floyd rose.. and locking nuts... but i have to turn the fine tuning pegs alllll the way in to the bridge, guess why?

my dammed bridge is too high and if my fine tuning screws are slightly raised, they pinch my arm!! they actually stop my movement.. i dont know what to do... i dont know how to lower the bridge.
You need fine tuners in the bridge to properly tune a guitar with a locking nut.
It compromises tone, to a degree.
It'd increase the prices of guitars.
Some people find it uncomfortable and are unwilling to adapt to it.

You can have great tuning stability if you take good care of your strings, have decent tuners and pay attention to the nut. No need for a locking nut, which would be a hassle to someone who changes tuning often.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Locking tuners and a Graphite Nut fix this problem are a much better idea than a locking nut on most things other than floyd equipped guitars IMO.
My guitars (except one) can hold tunings perfectly for a long time. Plus the amount of times i can go from Drop d to E to Eb in a week makes it pretty pointless having a locking nut.
Last edited by Arnthor at Feb 24, 2009,
Thank god they don't. That's all I have to say.

bone is tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
This would make no sense they make locking TUNERS for this purpose. You cant have a locking nut without some sort of fine tuners because otherwise you will lock down and it will go out of tune again, this is why floyd systems have fine tuners.

This could be all wrong too
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
1) Locking the nuts brings the guitars out of tune.
2) Most fixed bridge guitars don't have fine tuners to fix the first problem.
3) Because of the second problem, the player would have to unlock the nut every time they want to re-tune
4) After problem 3 has been fixed, it goes right back to problem 1.
5) Aside from the first 4 problems, it's been said already, most fixed bridge guitars can hold their tuning just fine without one.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
i f'ing hate the idea of locking nut and tuners. that was the number one reason for me from getting a floyd rose equipped guitar. since i like to change tunings more often then i needed to.
I disagree with the said "tone problem" though, because as a fan of metal, I enjoy brighter tone, which the locking nut, as it's made of nickel (or steel? I can't remember which) offers.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Because we touch our non locking nuts at night. You're nuts have to be free.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by playerofguitar7
dude look at my dammed guitar. i have a floyd rose.. and locking nuts... but i have to turn the fine tuning pegs alllll the way in to the bridge, guess why?

my dammed bridge is too high and if my fine tuning screws are slightly raised, they pinch my arm!! they actually stop my movement.. i dont know what to do... i dont know how to lower the bridge.

check the FR setup thread at the top of the forum. that should tell have all the info you need.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by playerofguitar7

flip the guitar over, look in there. add springs and adjust the screws to level the bridge and like said, there's a floyd tutorial at top of page.

and i think the TS thinks that everyone has fine tuners.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if it aint broke don't fix it - there's no need to have locking nuts. a good quality hardtail guitar will stay in tune perfectly well without one.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
A lot of people are mentioning that a locking nut brings a guitar out of tune. While I agree that this is typically the case, a wise sage once told me if locking down the nut does make the strings go sharp, the retainer on the opposite side of the nut is not adjusted properly.

EDIT: Knew I read it somewhere as well... http://www.jemsite.com/tech-setup-a-questions/22-tech-setup-questions/652-tech-setup-step-7-string-retaining-bar.html

More on topic however, I once wanted to install one of those Gibson TP-6 tails as well as a locking nut on one of my TOM equipped guitars. Finally decided against it as I came to believe locking nuts do strangle the strings somewhat.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Last edited by jm1681 at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by jm1681
A lot of people are mentioning that a locking nut brings a guitar out of tune. While I agree that this is typically the case, a wise sage once told me if locking down the nut does make the strings go sharp, the retainer on the opposite side of the nut is not adjusted properly.

EDIT: Knew I read it somewhere as well... http://www.jemsite.com/tech-setup-a-questions/22-tech-setup-questions/652-tech-setup-step-7-string-retaining-bar.html

More on topic however, I once wanted to install one of those Gibson TP-6 tails as well as a locking nut on one of my TOM equipped guitars. Finally decided against it as I came to believe locking nuts do strangle the strings somewhat.

Well on a floyd equipped guitar it doesnt make you out of tune to lock the nut down because of the presence of your fine tuners. If you didnt have those it would go out of tune every time you locked it as I and others have stated above
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Demonikk

/thread

The only reason why I would want a locking nut is if I had a locking bridge, like the Edge (III) Fixed.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Well on a floyd equipped guitar it doesnt make you out of tune to lock the nut down because of the presence of your fine tuners. If you didnt have those it would go out of tune every time you locked it as I and others have stated above
So in other words, you didn't read the link I posted?

BTW, I adjusted the retainer on my only floyd equipped guitar years ago and it does NOT go out of tune when I lock it down.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
So in other words, you didn't read the link I posted?

BTW, I adjusted the retainer on my only floyd equipped guitar years ago and it does NOT go out of tune when I lock it down.

K read your link my post still stands

I understand what your saying im just saying that with a hardtail guitars its impossible to have a locking nut without fine tuners.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Page 1 of 2