My friends and I just made chords for a song in the key of A. Im suppose to make a cool intro solo! What scales besides a basic pentatonic should I use?Chords are A, F, E, D, F, E, C ,F ,E ,B, F,E Power chords, major.
Last edited by Rev Satan at Feb 24, 2009,
whatever scale you want to use. just be sure your in key and if your feeling fancey you could change key with the chord changes
Use A Dorian when your root is F#m just to **** with them

(haha Ill admit i made that on the spot, no clue if it'll work, off to try it haha)

Please use tags for tabs....
Amin or Amaj?
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Rev Satan
My friends and I just made chords for a song in the key of A. Im suppose to make a cool intro solo! What scales besides a basic pentatonic should I use?

If its Amin, I suggest these:

A Dorian
A Phrygian
A Aeolian
A Locrian
A Pentatonic Minor
A Harmonic Minor

And if its A major:

A Ionian
A Lydian
A Mixolydian (dom 7th)

I hope that helps
Quote by jsantos

A Dorian
A Phrygian
A Aeolian
A Locrian
A Pentatonic Minor
A Harmonic Minor

And if its A major:

A Ionian
A Lydian
A Mixolydian (dom 7th)

I hope that helps

A Phrygian: There's a conflicting 2/b2 ----> Try E Phrygian
A Locrian: conflicting 2/b2 and 5/b5 ----> Try B Locrian
A Lydian: Conflicting 4/b4 ---> Try F Lydian
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder

^^^ Thats only if the OP is playing in the key of C.

There was no specification of what the root key was.
Quote by jsantos
^^^ Thats only if the OP is playing in the key of C.

There was no specification of what the root key was.

But Amin=ABCDEFG, right? All the ones I posted fit into that.
You sound like you know what you're talking about, so I won't contest it. I learn by having people prove/tell me I'm wrong.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Froboarder
You sound like you know what you're talking about, so I won't contest it. I learn by having people prove/tell me I'm wrong.

Edit: You arent right, I read the post wrong. Neither is he though. I don't know why he is recommending modes, especially locrian lol. We need to know the chords being played before we can help you with a scale. Playing in A minor does not mean you can throw modes around, and im guessing that guy doesnt know how to use modes
Last edited by blueriver at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Froboarder
That isn't how modes work; those are all A minor scales.
Quote by Froboarder

The original poster said the music was in A, so telling him to play E phrygian, B locrian, and F lydian is more or less the same as telling him just to play A aeolian.

If it's an A minor progression, then that's certainly a safe route, but since he didn't mention the chords we really have no idea what would fit.

Some different modes might actually sound killer. Bottom line is there is not enough information to give the original poster a real answer.
Quote by jsantos

A Dorian
A Phrygian
A Aeolian
A Locrian
A Pentatonic Minor
A Harmonic Minor

And if its A major:

A Ionian
A Lydian
A Mixolydian (dom 7th)

I hope that helps

If it's A minor, you would play A minor. If it's A major, you would play A major. There is nothing to suggest that the song is even remotely modal, so there's no reason to drag modes into it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Rev Satan
Chords are A, C, F,E, D,F.E, C, F, E,B

You still haven't given us enough info.

And to everyone else, sorry about my little bit of idiocy a few posts up.
Quote by angus fan16
Quote by Rev Satan

Those aren't chords, those are letters, each of which could mean a hundred different things. Are they powerchords, major, minor, altered dominant?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Rev Satan

Are you sure those chords are all major, because I gave it a quick try and playing all those chords major just sounded like a mess of random chords.
Quote by Rev Satan
ya power chords

That's still not enough information. Assuming it resolves to A, your song is in A minor and you would play the A minor scale. Modes and exotic scales don't factor into it at all.
Quote by Rev Satan
ya power chords

Being that those are all power chords, you could get away with A harmonic minor as well.
Quote by Metalhead_28
Being that those are all power chords, you could get away with A harmonic minor as well.

Harmonic minor describes a convention within minor tonality. You can certainly throw in a natural seventh, but the song isn't actually utilizing harmonic minor at all since there is no leading tone available to resolve to the tonic.

my bad its A, F, E, D, F, E, C ,F ,E ,B, F,E Major Power chords

There is no such thing as a "major power chord". That "progression" is still ambiguous as hell. We don't have enough information to conclude a key.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Harmonic minor describes a convention within minor tonality. You can certainly throw in a natural seventh, but the song isn't actually utilizing harmonic minor at all since there is no leading tone available to resolve to the tonic.

Yeah, the chord progression is very ambiguous. I was just throwing out the idea thinking he might want to go all Yngwie with the solo.
Quote by Froboarder

hehe cheers. Yeah you are right too. I was merely pointing out what other patterns to use other the pentatonic as the original poster said.

Even that was ambiguous.

Power chords are root and fifths so we need more info than that.

Maybe I can narrow down the modes after that.