How long after was it until you bought new strings? Just wondering how long I should go without changing them. Are there any signs that can show you really need to change them ASAP? Thanks.
it depends on how often you play. when they start to sound bad and look grimey, switch em out.
GAS List:
Nothing
I bought a bass nearly two years ago now and didn't change the strings till like 3 weeks ago, but I really didn't play it that much.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
You may want to change them if you don't like the type of strings that came with it. The only signs i look for is "muddy" sound, and sometimes certain frets don't work (or maybe that's just my bass... Im not sure). Then i know its time to change them. Or in preparation for a gig ill usually change them.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
I actually still have the stock bronze ones on my acoustic. My SX had D'Addarrio chromes on it, so I won't be changing those anytime soon either.

The Squier, however, had Fender stockers on it...those went away within the first six months.
Nope, no sig here.
I usually change every 4-6 months, or if I'm recording or want the brightness for a gig
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Some people say change them evrey 10-13 hours, cause they like the sound of round wounds. Usually 2 months or so is a good time especially if you like the sound of just broken in strings.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fleajr_1412
10-13 hours?

lol wut

some people have too much money and time.
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Yep, i got sent an email newsletter from the perfect bass, a bit of bull****, cause thy wanted me too buy strings. 10-13 hours, thats 24 euro a week or so, thats me broke.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I can understand changing them after 10-13 hours if you're a professional recording or gigging constantly. Some people want to keep the bright tone that new roundwounds have. That wouldn't work for a poor college student like me. I play that much a week on average. I'd be broke outside of a month.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Flummery
I can understand changing them after 10-13 hours if you're a professional recording or gigging constantly. Some people want to keep the bright tone that new roundwounds have. That wouldn't work for a poor college student like me. I play that much a week on average. I'd be broke outside of a month.

I feel your pain. Sometimes ramen noodles have to come before Bass strings.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
I quite like the worn in sound my strings have after a few months.
The really bright tone doesn't fit in with my band at all.

However, with my other bass, which is primarily used for slap, funk, punk and recording I generally hate the sound from it after a month or so.

But I'm a fussy bastard.
Well I've had my bass for 2 years and I've only replaced the strings once. That's probably a sign that it's about time to change them again. My bass is sounding kinda crappy. I'm just so god damn poor... I'm saving every penny while saving up for an Ibanez EWB20SMFE (fretless acoustic ).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Feb 24, 2009,
I change them when I don't like their sound and have enough cash for a new set.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yea, dude u can usually tell by the sound and or feel...but it's all preference and yes..serious bass players will change strings between studio breaks..and almost every time before a gig
You aren't ever required to change your strings if you don't want to; there's a few famous players who famously never did. However, if I were in your position I'd change the strings immediately. It's highly likely that (a) those are the original strings from the factory and (b) they are covered in dirt and grime from people playing them in the store (since I would doubt the GC employees ever took the time to change them). A new set of strings (and a proper setup, although you can do most of that yourself if you're careful) will let you know what your bass is supposed to sound like.

After a few sets you'll be able to hear when they get old and the tone starts to fade. As for which strings, I suggest Rotosound (Swing 66 are my current favorite) or Ernie Ball (I used to use the Super Slinkys, which are in the pink package if I remember right).
If you like the bright sound of a new set of roundwounds, change them as soon as that's gone and you can afford it. If you like the broken in, darker sound, you can stick with a set for many months.
I bought new strings with my bass. Replaced those crap fender .40's with a set of Hybrid Slinkys and then gave it a nice little set up... Actually, I think the only guitar that I got new that I stuck with the strings on it was the Blueridge acoustic I bought in may... still haven't change them strings.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.