Well ive been getting into finally recording my own music instead of just playing covers after so many years, but I really don't know that much about mics and recording.

But anyways now I want to get a mic for my amp and record this way, currently im using audacity, its effective and free, but a friend of mine has some really nice recording software that he will let me borrow. But im curious about what kind of mic's i will be needing, condenser mics, or dynamic mics etc... and what to get, i really dont want to spend more then 100$, im not looking for any professional level stuff, just something to mess around with.

And also how would i get the audio to go into my laptop. Im guessing an audio to usb thing or something? or maybe get it plugged into my mic port somehow?

but in any case, thanks for your input!
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Google: good usb guitar mic. That should set you in the right direction. For a really cheap solution is to use a SM57 into an xlr cable into a 1/4"phono plug adapter into a 1/4" phono to 1/8" stereo phono plug. Run that right into the mic input on the computer.
AL
Quote by Adam Loeke
For a really cheap solution is to use a SM57 into an xlr cable into a 1/4"phono plug adapter into a 1/4" phono to 1/8" stereo phono plug. Run that right into the mic input on the computer.

THIS.

Best and easiest solution on the cheap.

Check out the clips on my page and my side projects myspace, EVERYTHING is recorded using just a sm58 plugged straight into the computer then into Audacity.

Also i like the sound of a 58 on my cab more then a 57, although i may have just been that the 57 i used was abit dodgey seeming as they are basically industry standard.
A shure SM57 is a great guitar mic, will do well helping you mic drums, and does decent vocals ... it's the swiss army knife of recording, especially on a low budget.

I also have a Blue Ball; I know they make a USB version of the Ball (snowball) as well; and have hear pretty good things about that. The Blue Ball has a less crisp, more rounded sound than the SM57 ... so it does well with acoustic work and lower frequencies ... combining both do really well for the sounds I like to achieve.

Getting your mic to your computer is a different story; you could dial down to a 1/8" and plug direct but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd say the USB Blue SnowBall would be your best bet to start out with (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blue-Snowball-USB-Microphone?sku=279015)

Another option would be to use this (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blue-Icicle-XLR-to-USB-Mic-Converter?sku=330275) and then buy whatever cheap mic you like.

I think both of these options would be better than using a 1/8" input.

Just surf around Musiciansfriend.com for more options ... there's a ton of stuff out there, read the reviews of stuff within your price range and go from there (Be sure to read most of the reviews, more specifically the low ones)
thanks for the responses. Google does always help, but i always prefer posting here for peoples real experiences with stuff. but ill definately look into it. the blue snowball thing looks interesting, but i dont see many people who used electric guitars, but i guess it should still have the same result.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
*moved to R&R*

if $100 is your limit, then i would have to suggest this. havent tried the usb version, but i like the regular one. sounds quite nice for recording my amp, as well as vocals. it is a condensor mic, and off the top of my head i cant think of anything better for $100.

now, for $200 you could get a shure sm-57 (which is one of the amp recording mics) and a usb interface. though i think i record more with my 990 (i far mic more), the sm57 is a very nice mic to have for amps. as it may have a larger initial investment though, maybe its not for you.