Lately i have been noticing that my pinch harmonics are not as good as they used to.

I switched from standard picks to hyyp://www.davapick.com picks a few months ago. I enjoy using the Dava because they have strength from a .5-1.00mm pick and allow me to quickly switch styles. I have a friend who uses Dunlop .80mm Ultex picks and gets very good tone with p.h.'s. I've considered switching but i wanted to know if it was probably my technique or the way that my Dava pick is made.

Thanks!!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
I find that I get better pinches with Jazz III's than with conventional picks, however I must say that Jazz III's take a while to get used to with strumming....especially if you have larger hands....

However, each guitar has a sweet spot. Have you recently switched guitars?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

However, each guitar has a sweet spot. Have you recently switched guitars?

No, everything is stock on my squier (although i feel mine is eximpliary compared to some Gibsons i've played), except my pickguard.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
Good lord, don't you have a different pick you can pick up and try? It's not like you're swapping guitars, just pick up some different picks and try them out.

I have like 5 of every pick ever made...lol, but I don't use any of them except Jazz III's.
And those Dava picks just make me cringe...I don't even want to hold one!
It's your technique.

/thread
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Metalhead_28
Good lord, don't you have a different pick you can pick up and try? It's not like you're swapping guitars, just pick up some different picks and try them out.

I have like 5 of every pick ever made...lol, but I don't use any of them except Jazz III's.

Yes i do.
I pulled out my Jazz III (i justremembered having it an hour ago) and tried it.

I think my technique has gone down where i don't use it everyday, but now im using it some songs im learning.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
I use dunlop 1.5s religiously and yea

it hasnt been pointed out yet but thicker strings pinch better, as thinner ones have a smaller sweet spot.

You shouldnt have any trouble on the low E pinching, but if youre trying to pinch the high e I can see why youre having trouble. Its been 9 years for me and I still have trouble on the high e sometimes :P

Please use tags for tabs....
Jazz III's!!!!!
Kneel before the small red ones!
seriously, they are amazing for pinches. as for strumming, it takes getting used to. Jim Dunlop Nylon 1mm's are a close 2nd
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
Quote by Metalhead_28

...why are the pick gnomes targetting ME when you have THAT MANY PICKS!?

On Topic, that very first reply is right. Every guitar has its sweet spot. I used to get decent p. h.'s by picking them just above the bridge humbucker slot, but I recently found my Omen-6 squeals a lot higher when I pick harmonics just below the neck humbucker slot when I've got the bridge pup selected.

Just keep picking them in different places until you find that one point that just wails, and remember where it is.

EDIT: And for the record, I use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks (the purple ones) as I play death metal and they finish off my heavy ripping/chugging sound.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Last edited by Snap017 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by Snap017
Every guitar has its sweet spot.

Partially true; harmonic node points are based on a solid mathematical system so as long as you're playing guitars with the same scale length the harmonics will be in the same spots every time.

Technique is TSs problem and that's it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Partially true; harmonic node points are based on a solid mathematical system so as long as you're playing guitars with the same scale length the harmonics will be in the same spots every time.

Technique is TSs problem and that's it.

K, my mistake; sorry for not majoring in Guitar Expertise in college.

And TS, if technique is the issue, (and assuming you already know how to pick a pinch harmonic) maybe you should move your thumb up a bit more, and pre-mute the string with the part of your thumb opposite the pick?

That's the best I could explain it, and I suck at finding pictures, so sorry if that paragraph up there is gibberish to you all. XD
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Technique is probably the obvious answer, but using a Squier sure doesn't help. Those pickups aren't going to be any help at all, and the low quality of the wood doesn't resonate well. Try going to a guitar shop and picking up something with EMGs an trying your harmonics on that. EMGs have the best response to pinches out of anything I've tried (although any high output pickup will work for this purpose) and I can promise you that you'll be able to hear a difference and be able to diagnose the problem with your technique more readily.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
Technique is probably the obvious answer, but using a Squier sure doesn't help. Those pickups aren't going to be any help at all, and the low quality of the wood doesn't resonate well. Try going to a guitar shop and picking up something with EMGs an trying your harmonics on that. EMGs have the best response to pinches out of anything I've tried (although any high output pickup will work for this purpose) and I can promise you that you'll be able to hear a difference and be able to diagnose the problem with your technique more readily.

EMG's make me wanna die!

I'm saving to put in some Seymore Duncan Hotrails.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural