Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I was looking into getting my first car and learning to drive recently, only to find that insurance costs are ridiculous (£2000!). I had never really considered it before but could anyone help me out with some advice and info about motorbikes? For example, where to learn. I've been led to believe that they are much cheaper than cars, although I'm unsure about insurance costs, laws regarding age and so on. I've been 17 since November. Any and all help would be greately appreciated
You would've got so much more replies if you titled your thread '17 Year old Potential Rapist'
RULE BRITANNIA
The trick is to stay on the bike. Good luck, son.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's different for every country.
Go to your registry and ask questions you twat.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by exiledsoul
It's different for every country.
Go to your registry and ask questions you twat.

Thanks for your input, now fuck off.
You will need to do your CBT just do a search to find the nearest place that will train you. you will then have a learners license for 2 year in which that time ou can do your motorbike test to get you full license. with your CBT you will be limited to somthing up to 33bhp but you may want somthing smaller to start with as insurance will be cheaper.

Buy a cheap bike to start off with as you wont want it forever if its a small engine
=========

Nathnialm

====
For us here in the UK. Here's the basic law.

You're allowed a 125cc as a learner. You take your CBT (compulsory bike training) and you will be legal on the road for two years. Within those two years you can take your proper test, then you will be fully legal to go on motorways and carry passengers.

Insurance is cheaper. (Because its a bike you keep keep it in your backyard or garage, which lowers your insurance. Especially if you get a floor lock (locks bike to floor so it CANNOT be robbed, lol).
Fuel is cheaper (economy is MUCH better than cars).
The actual vehicle is cheaper (depending on what you wanna get).

Generally, its much cheaper. Win.

BUT.

Its freezing, VERY dangerous in winter, have to wear leathers and helmet...

But chicks dig 'em.

Edit :
Average cost of a CBT course is £90-£110, will probably last two days.
Be careful out there!
Hope this helps you.
Last edited by McShredder at Feb 24, 2009,
Just get a 1.2l or something and do your pass plus. Should get your insurance down to about £1000.

My insurance cost me £1300 and it's comprehensive. If you want a car you might aswell get one.
A motorbike is cheaper than a car. The insurance is not, it'd probably be more expensive if anything. When I was looking for prices it was in the same region anyway.

You can ride a hairdryer (<50cc mopeds) when you're 16.
When you're 17 you're allowed <125cc until you are 21 I believe.
You've gotta do a separate test to ride a bike these days. (i.e passing a car test =/= allowed to ride anything bigger than a hairdryer)

Have you consulted your parents about it? If you haven't don't be surprised if the response is along the lines of 'No, I don't wanna have to scrape you up off the pavement'

That was pretty much my mom's reaction when I was on about getting a bike (My dad wasn't bothered, seeing as he used to have one).
I would learn to drive if I was you. Once you pass mate its there forever and ecentually your probally gonna get a car anyways. Bikes are OK but cars are better I have both lol.
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
Thanks for the help guys, just a couple more questions:

1) Do you take the course and finish it with a licence, as in there isn't an exam afterwards.

2) Is insurance still going to be an absolute pain :P

and 3) Can anyone give me some good bike brands (or models if you have the time) worth looking into?

Thanks
Quote by Greenie_777
Just get a 1.2l or something and do your pass plus. Should get your insurance down to about £1000.

My insurance cost me £1300 and it's comprehensive. If you want a car you might aswell get one.

I wouldn't suggest getting a 1200-- *click* Oooohhh... you mean a car
Your insurance is gonna be hiiigh.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by urbanfox
A motorbike is cheaper than a car. The insurance is not, it'd probably be more expensive if anything. When I was looking for prices it was in the same region anyway.

You can ride a hairdryer (<50cc mopeds) when you're 16.
When you're 17 you're allowed <125cc until you are 21 I believe.
You've gotta do a separate test to ride a bike these days. (i.e passing a car test =/= allowed to ride anything bigger than a hairdryer)

Have you consulted your parents about it? If you haven't don't be surprised if the response is along the lines of 'No, I don't wanna have to scrape you up off the pavement'

That was pretty much my mom's reaction when I was on about getting a bike (My dad wasn't bothered, seeing as he used to have one).

Actually it was her idea

I forgot to ask, do you need a standard car driving license first? Or will the CBT suffice
Quote by james2112
Thanks for the help guys, just a couple more questions:

1) Do you take the course and finish it with a licence, as in there isn't an exam afterwards.

2) Is insurance still going to be an absolute pain :P

and 3) Can anyone give me some good bike brands (or models if you have the time) worth looking into?

Thanks

1) The CBT is just basic training ('Compulsory Basic Training'), you have to do that before you are allowed to start learning properly for the real test (I believe).

2) Yes. Be it for a car or bike, if you're young the assumption is you are going to drive like a prick and wrap your vehicle around a tree within a few months. It's the main reason I haven't bothered getting a car yet (seeing as I don't need one) even though I passed my test 9 months ago.

3) Honda CBR125 or Aprilla RS125 were the two I was looking at. But I'm sure some more knowledgable members will be of more help in that department.

Edit:
Quote by james2112
Actually it was her idea

I forgot to ask, do you need a standard car driving license first? Or will the CBT suffice

You just need a provisional licence to do the CBT. Then you need the CBT and a provisional to do the test.
Last edited by urbanfox at Feb 24, 2009,
Bike insurance can be up to twice the cost of cars here.

A learner can ride a CBR900 if he wishes. They only regulate the times you can ride and no passengers.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by wahappen
Bike insurance can be up to twice the cost of cars here.

A learner can ride a CBR900 if he wishes. They only regulate the times you can ride and no passengers.

Not in the UK you can't.
You just need a provisional licence to do the CBT. Then you need the CBT and a provisional to do the test.

Is there a theory test as well? This motorbike option is looking very appealing

UrbanFox, you seem to be the most informed here, how much is a cbr 125? Rough. It would be awesome if i could start riding for less that £1500.
Quote by urbanfox
Not in the UK you can't.

Hence the word "here" in my post.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by Greenie_777

This. Insurance doesn't have to cost that much.

Mine only cost me £600! What I did was put my sister down as the main driver, and me as a named driver (still get my own no-claims) and the price plummeted for some reason.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by james2112
Is there a theory test as well? This motorbike option is looking very appealing

UrbanFox, you seem to be the most informed here, how much is a cbr 125? Rough. It would be awesome if i could start riding for less that £1500.

You do indeed have to do the theory test still - It's a complete piece of piss though, anyone who can't pass it shouldn't ever be allowed near a car.

Not sure about prices mate, easily less than a grand though if you look in Bike Trader ,etc.

I doubt you could start riding for less than £1500, the insurance is going to be double that for a start

Quote by wahappen
Hence the word "here" in my post.

Your advice is not welcome "here"
Quote by Supertait
This. Insurance doesn't have to cost that much.

Mine only cost me £600! What I did was put my sister down as the main driver, and me as a named driver (still get my own no-claims) and the price plummeted for some reason.

Even that ****s it up completely.

I tried it on my mom and dad's policies, they went from about £200 a year to £1500 when I was added.
Quote by urbanfox
Even that ****s it up completely.

I tried it on my mom and dad's policies, they went from about £200 a year to £1500 when I was added.

Me too. Mums and Step Dads policies both went up. I tried my sister just for the hell of it and it went down to 600.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
If thats the case then it may make more sense just to learn to drive. Not sure if I could justify an extra £1000ish insurance for something I couldn't carry my guitar on
If your planning on getting a car someday just get it over with. If you start now you can get a good deal on insurance as long as you don't get a powerful car and you could probably get a car for about £500 and insurance for £1000.
Quote by Greenie_777
If your planning on getting a car someday just get it over with. If you start now you can get a good deal on insurance as long as you don't get a powerful car and you could probably get a car for about £500 and insurance for £1000.

I've seen cars from the mid 90's for around £200 on auto trader round here. I've looked at insurance but fuck me its been between £2000 and £3000 so far. Any ideas?
Quote by james2112
I've seen cars from the mid 90's for around £200 on auto trader round here. I've looked at insurance but fuck me its been between £2000 and £3000 so far. Any ideas?

What are the cars??

Be wary if they are very cheap. You want to get something with a reasonable amount of time left on the MOT and with a small motor. Then you want to go for 3rd party insurance.

I got my car insurance from tesco online, although i got a good deal because my sister already has a policy with them. Just see if your parents insurance companies do any deals like this.
Quote by Greenie_777
What are the cars??

Be wary if they are very cheap. You want to get something with a reasonable amount of time left on the MOT and with a small motor. Then you want to go for 3rd party insurance.

I got my car insurance from tesco online, although i got a good deal because my sister already has a policy with them. Just see if your parents insurance companies do any deals like this.

Just old hatchbacks, for example Ford Fiestas from the 90's, Clio's etc
a motorbike will be more expensive on insurance. thats an absolute guarantee.

one thing you learn when getting vehicles is that YOU WILL ALWAYS GET SCREWED OVER ON INSURANCE. no matter what you do, you will always get jipped. its happened to everyone in the past, its happening now and it will always happen. its called rich suits wanting to be richer. the whole business of insurance is based on getting more money out of something that isnt worth it.
CBT, Bike test to ride a bike up to 33bhp until 2 years after your test, wait it out.. bam full bike license and you wont kill yourself trying to go fast at 17
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
you're more likely to die on a bike then in a car...
but bikes are considerably cheaper...
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I imagine that the insurance costs would be so much higher..

seriously dude.. get insured on your dads car, or make one of your parents primary driver and you a secondary driver.. that way its a whole bunch cheaper, or so I am led to believe.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I'm sure it's all been explained to you by now, but once you get your license and everything, get a Ninja!

Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by will123456789
I imagine that the insurance costs would be so much higher..

seriously dude.. get insured on your dads car, or make one of your parents primary driver and you a secondary driver.. that way its a whole bunch cheaper, or so I am led to believe.

Yeah I've heard about that, I'll look into it. Thanks

EDIT: I have no idea why, but that bike reminded me of a massive tarantula when i saw it
Last edited by james2112 at Feb 24, 2009,
Bike insurance will be cheaper if you are on up to a 125cc. When you get a bigger bike it will be comparable to a small car - and 400cc insurance is normally higher than 600cc as they are known as boy racer bikes (as I found out to my cost with my first real bike lol). The bike itself probably won't be any cheaper than a cheap car, but fuel will be cheaper. And if you stick with bikes you can get a really decent bike for a lot less than you'd pay for a halfway decent car. Plus you can't get spammed into giving everyone a lift to the pub on a bike

I did my CBT and full licence with CSM in Birmingham - I would definitely have recommended them at the time but its a few years ago now so I dunno if they are still as good. But get your CBT first, and get yourself a 100cc or 125cc. If you are planning on commuting any distance at all - like more than 20mins each way - don't get a supersports lookalike 125cc - you'll be so cramped you won't be able to walk when you get off. Get something more commuterish - it may not look as cool but it'll handle a lot better and be much more comfortable and easier to learn on. Then when you get bored of it go do your test and get something decent. Don't forget you still have to do your theory test :/

If you are gonna get a bike though make sure you get yourself some decent safety kit - don't think you can get away with jeans or trainers, you WILL come off and if you're not wearing decent kit you WILL trash yourself. Get yourself a decent set of leathers, boots, gloves and the best helmet you can afford (and waterproofs lol). They'll last you years unless you come off and trash them - and if you come off and trash them then they've done their job

Don't be suprised if your parents are dead against it though - especially if they ride themselves, cos if they do they will know how many dodgy drivers there are out there, and how much crap there is on the roads to hurt you (diesel, oil, that lovely anti-biker paint councils like to use, potholes, manhole covers, kerbs, lampposts...).
Quote by zhilla
Bike insurance will be cheaper if you are on up to a 125cc. When you get a bigger bike it will be comparable to a small car - and 400cc insurance is normally higher than 600cc as they are known as boy racer bikes (as I found out to my cost with my first real bike lol). The bike itself probably won't be any cheaper than a cheap car, but fuel will be cheaper. And if you stick with bikes you can get a really decent bike for a lot less than you'd pay for a halfway decent car. Plus you can't get spammed into giving everyone a lift to the pub on a bike

I did my CBT and full licence with CSM in Birmingham - I would definitely have recommended them at the time but its a few years ago now so I dunno if they are still as good. But get your CBT first, and get yourself a 100cc or 125cc. If you are planning on commuting any distance at all - like more than 20mins each way - don't get a supersports lookalike 125cc - you'll be so cramped you won't be able to walk when you get off. Get something more commuterish - it may not look as cool but it'll handle a lot better and be much more comfortable and easier to learn on. Then when you get bored of it go do your test and get something decent. Don't forget you still have to do your theory test :/

If you are gonna get a bike though make sure you get yourself some decent safety kit - don't think you can get away with jeans or trainers, you WILL come off and if you're not wearing decent kit you WILL trash yourself. Get yourself a decent set of leathers, boots, gloves and the best helmet you can afford (and waterproofs lol). They'll last you years unless you come off and trash them - and if you come off and trash them then they've done their job

Don't be suprised if your parents are dead against it though - especially if they ride themselves, cos if they do they will know how many dodgy drivers there are out there, and how much crap there is on the roads to hurt you (diesel, oil, that lovely anti-biker paint councils like to use, potholes, manhole covers, kerbs, lampposts...).

I would probably buy something along the lines of a Honda CDR125 i think. I know this a almost impossible to answer question, but could you guess an average insurance for a 17 year old never drove before biker on something like that
i wouldnt bother with a CBR125 mate, theyre slow as **** and they cost (ans sound) pretty much the same as a 2 stroke (more powerful) such as an NSR 125.
just whatever you do buy a jap bike. if you buy some italian POS she'll break your heart and the bank.

if i was you, i'd look into gettin the NSR. the bike will be much cheaper than a CBR, and the insurance should be around the same.
but you have to get a 2002 or later NSR, because before that they werent restricted and you wont get insurance.
only way to get a rough number for insurance is get quotes from everyone, and play the companies off each other. say "oh XXXX will do it for 300 cheaper" etc. even if theyre already the cheapest you can find.

you also have to remember to include the price of your gear (helmets can range from £100-400, depending on how much you value your head) boots gloves etc.
and if you do get a bike i suggest textile gear, not leathers, for english weather.

petrol economy on a bike is a WHOLE lot better than a car's, and road tax is almost nothing.

another huge advantage to a bike is you dont need your parents to come with you if you want to go for a drive on a provisional license. and chicks dig wheelies big time.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Alright I went through the whole license thing last summer, took my lessons and test in Rutherglen, Scotland. You'll probably know all this already but you'll need to book for a CBT, then a theory test (or the other way round if you want) then once you've completed those you should take further lessons before your practical. I did an intensive course and got my DL196 (CBT form), theory test and then practical test within 2 weeks. I did pass first time (with no faults ) but I was rather lucky. I would highly advise you just use school bikes to learn on, don't bother wasting your cash on anything until you've gotten through the test and can ride things up to 33BHP. http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/ this website helped me tons when I was researching and I would highly recommend it. If you do go for a 125 bike I would highly recommend a cheap one, and not a flash one, get something reliable with good fuel consumption. Insurance costs will be cheaper but they'll still be extortionate until you get to a certain age.
Alright, If you take the time to read this here goes, I'm sure everythings been mentioned but from my experience.

Motorcycles are alot cheaper. I ride one. Cheaper to buy, maintain, and to actually use it (Gas)
Insurance, depending wher eyou are from, insurance is a killer. It's usually more than a car in most countries. YOu can only use it in the summer, so if you have snow where you're from, sucks to be you. You're looking for a starter bike. Try something with about 250cc's. Like a Ninja 250R. Although the CBR 125's a better for learning, I'm sure you'll get bored of it REAL quickly. If you just plan on making small trips, then get that. I suggest the nex step up unless you know you will makea mistake. In addition, take the riders course if youre country offers it. One of the best desicions you'll make and you learn alot of stuff with first hand experience.
All in all, the positives out weigh the negative, which is why i'll ride forever!
and don't forget

eventually everyone goes down atleast once.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Last edited by hyroglyph!c at Feb 24, 2009,
Page 1 of 2