I've got this electric guitar, I truly want to learn it, don't have the money for lessons, and I have absolutely no idea where to start.

If one of you were my instructors, what would be the first thing you have me work on.

Could you maybe list a group of exercises I should do just to start out?
id suggest working on a small song like smoke on the water with free time to keep your interest in music, but work on learning chords the most. Like your A-Major, C-major, and G-major
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
i'd start with chords and scales.
all can be found on here.
also start with simple song riffs such as smoke on the water or some ACDC
learn your chords first, and especially get used to power chords/barre chord shaped because almost every song uses them in one form or another. scales are always good too. Learn easier stuff. For me i like metal but i learned on punk stuff just because its so simple.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
first i would tell you to learn some cowboy chords like A C G E F and D ( major ) then i learn the pentatonic scale and when you get it down start moving it to different spots on the neck then learn power chords then you should learn an easy song like smells like teen soirit or heart shaped box maybe even iron man or smoke on the water
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Get a book of chords (you can get them online too). Learn the basics...get comfortable fretting them and stumming them. Tap your foot while you strum. Get used to tuning with a tuner. Find some basic songs that you could strum to like GNR's "Paradise City." That'll get some wind in your sails.
AL
Quote by Adam Loeke
Get a book of chords (you can get them online too). Learn the basics...get comfortable fretting them and stumming them. Tap your foot while you strum. Get used to tuning with a tuner. Find some basic songs that you could strum to like GNR's "Paradise City." That'll get some wind in your sails.

paradise city? hes just startin!
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Great stuff guys. So it's pretty unanimous I should learn the basic chords, and then just toy around with a simple song until I can play it all the way through. Correct?
Get your basic chords and scales down then try some smoke on the water or ironman
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I hear stuff about your pinky being an anchor. What's that mean, and how does it help you?
Quote by LonnieC
I hear stuff about your pinky being an anchor. What's that mean, and how does it help you?

I used to play with mainly my Index, Middle and Ring fingers. When i began to play stuff like Lamb of God, the stretch was really hard. When you learn to use your pinky, it becomes 100x easier and you dont have to strain as much. Trust me, your pinky finger is a godsend

If thats what you were referring to.

EDIT: Oh, and about where to start. Learn how to read guitar tabs!
------
Guitars -
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom (Aged Ivory Bullseye)
Jackson DXMG Dinky

Amps etc. -
Line 6 Pod X3 Live w/ speaker system
Marshall MG15DFX Practice Amp
If I was an Instructor the first thing I'd teach you is how to tune your guitar.

Always play a tuned guitar so you can develop your ears and only by that can you get note recognitions.

That's your first lesson.

Your second lesson?

Ok, learn the nut chords (open chords) in major, minor, and 7th forms. Pay heed to the shape of the chords as they are movable (barre chords and barre=nut). Some barre chords are hard with some shapes so don't sweat it, skip a string.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+