i am almost certain this cab is crap, but i picked it up for free and it is fully functional. all i wonder is: what impedence should i be using? the amp in question has three impedence selections, it is a triple x head.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
bump
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
please dont bump your thread, especially not after less than an hour.

as for the impedance you need, what does the cab run at? also, what cab is it? some cabs allow you to switch impedance, but it is so you can run the speakers in stereo (or other options). basicly, you need to match the head to the cab. if the cab runs at 16ohms, then you need to set your head to 16 ohms. or whatever.
sorry.
and i know about the impedences and whatnot, its just that there are no markings on the cab, only one input, and 2 12 inch speakers.
can anyone help? thanks
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Do the speakers have any indication as to their impedance?
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
no. they are black. if i could find their impedence, what would be the formula for the cab? is there an impedence in which 212s usually fall in?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
So there are no markings on the speakers what so ever? And it says Peavey on the front? Are there 2 connections on each speaker or 4. Or 1?

Too many variables to tell. If for example each speaker is 8 ohms then:

Series Wiring
8+8 = 16 ohms

Parallel Wiring
(8*8)/(8+8) = 4 ohms

I would get a multimeter, set it at 20K ohms, put a speaker cable in and measure the load.

I think, not a tech here.
i think there are two connections each
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
thanks man
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
no prob

that diagram doesn't work 100% of the time. My cab is wired in parallel but you would never know by looking at the speakers. To be sure, I measured mine and it was something like 3.72 ohms (which is what you would expect on a 4 ohm cab for EXAMPLE).
so is there a norm on 212s for impedence/ or an averqge?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Well 8 and 16 total I guess are the norms. You won't see too many 4s and def not too many 32s. So with that said, you could easily have 2x8s run in series at 16.

you could also have 2 x16s run in parallel for 8 so...........

My guess is you really want to figure this out so can test out the amp and don't want to wait for a multimeter? Maybe someone with more cab experience can chime in. I've never heard of a Peavey cab with simply all black speakers. I think they usually use Shefields and even the Valveking says Valveking Custom speaker
yeah i cannot even find a pic on the internet of this cabinet. i seriously think it does not exist
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
well it's possible someone took the original speakers out and put cheapo's in or someone slapped a peavey logo on a no name cab

you said you got it cheap or free so.....
Just get a multimeter and be sure. It will come in handy for lots of other things too. Get a fresh battery for it too. Also, if the volumes are low you can probably get away with at least checking the amp out BUT *** I don't want to be the one to tell you that and something go wrong, especially with the uncertainty of what you have. Good luck.
thanks, i think ill do that
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
my guess is it's going to be after market speakers.

take a flashlight look for any markings.

if still nothing, then test the cab with meter like suggested. i would want to know 100% that both speakers are hooked up correctly working and total ohms before risking my amp head.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011