Sup everyone,

Was wondering who else on this site is studying music at a PROPER Music College and just wana know how it is for people in the same situation as I am in now!
I'm planning to study Jazz and recording ingeneering at McGill university, but first I'll have to get out of high school
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Define "proper music college"

You mean a conservatoire? or a place where they ONLY study music?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
Quote by Fat-bastard0603
I'm planning to study Jazz and recording ingeneering at McGill university, but first I'll have to get out of high school

Ingeneering hey? That's if you pass english.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
You mean a conservatory?

I'm a double major in classical composition and music business at Berklee College of Music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yeah by Proper music College I do mean where u study music like Berklee or in my Instance Guitar-X.

Hows people finding it?
Quote by Kabukimonobrad
Yeah by Proper music College I do mean where u study music like Berklee or in my Instance Guitar-X.

Hows people finding it?

No offense but how is Guitar-X a proper music college?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No offense but how is Guitar-X a proper music college?

None taken, Just check out the website and then decide, I know its no where near as Berklee but its a decent enough Music College to teach us what we need to know so we can go out and do it in the Real world
I'm going to the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance in september i think (still need to take the officially take the offer)

Two of my friends are there right now and it sounds fairly good.
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
I'm going to the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance in september i think (still need to take the officially take the offer)

What u going to study there man?
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER

A guy I know is starting there in September to do drums, he was apparently the best applicant. Stunning drummer.
I've been offered a place on the Higher Diploma guitar course. I was hoping for degree, but i dont know anywhere near enough stuff yet, so i'm probably gonna go onto degree after i've completed this year.

What's guitar x like? I got a brocheur but i'm prob just gonna go to the one my friends are at cos i can share accomodation and stuff

edit:
Quote by sadistic_monkey
A guy I know is starting there in September to do drums, he was apparently the best applicant. Stunning drummer.

thats awesome, who is he? is he doing degree?
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by sadistic_monkey

You're a drummer then?

U should check out this college called Drum Tech, they have some amazing drummers there. There was this one guy, who started and after just a term there, someone had picked he to go touring in a Jazz band!
Quote by exiledsoul

Not his first language.

I didn't but I have a friend studying in the jazz program at Indiana University. I did take a guitar class and a piano class for fun and it was pretty rewarding.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
I've looked into it, but IMO the best way to go is to get into a normal school with a strong music program and get a Liberal arts degree, in case you need to get a regular job at some point, because TBH outside of a very small and competitive job market a degree from a conservatory doesn't mean shit.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kabukimonobrad
None taken, Just check out the website and then decide, I know its no where near as Berklee but its a decent enough Music College to teach us what we need to know so we can go out and do it in the Real world

I just wiki'd it (never heard of it before) and it seems to have a very specific range for what it offers, which is apparently performance of contemporary music. It seems more like a trade school than a full conservatory.

When I usually think of a "proper" conservatory, schools like Peabody, New England, Oberlin, Manhattan, Berklee, etc, they are fully accredited in a wide range of music subjects including music education, technology, composition, performance, etc. I don't think I'd be wrong to say that a proper conservatory must have focus in classical and jazz studies as at least general and core curriculum.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I've looked into it, but IMO the best way to go is to get into a normal school with a strong music program and get a Liberal arts degree, in case you need to get a regular job at some point, because TBH outside of a very small and competitive job market a degree from a conservatory doesn't mean shit.

yeah i agree with you alot, and this is part of the reason that delayed my decision to go to a music college. but after my year of experiencing office work, i know it's not for me. i'm going to chase my dream, and if it fails, i'll find a normal job somewhere, but i want to go for something i love
Quote by SEALSniper1152

Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
I've been offered a place on the Higher Diploma guitar course. I was hoping for degree, but i dont know anywhere near enough stuff yet, so i'm probably gonna go onto degree after i've completed this year.

What's guitar x like? I got a brocheur but i'm prob just gonna go to the one my friends are at cos i can share accomodation and stuff

edit:

thats awesome, who is he? is he doing degree?

Guitar-X is amazing, honestly, I luckly won a scholarship there and i do monthly dairys, http://www.guitar-x.co.uk/NewsDiaryBBeets4.html read there if feel like but the teachers know wtf the are on about man!!!
Quote by Kabukimonobrad
Guitar-X is amazing, honestly, I luckly won a scholarship there and i do monthly dairys, http://www.guitar-x.co.uk/NewsDiaryBBeets4.html read there if feel like but the teachers know wtf the are on about man!!!

congrats, thats pretty good! i'll have a read
Quote by SEALSniper1152

Quote by Xiaoxi
I just wiki'd it (never heard of it before) and it seems to have a very specific range for what it offers, which is apparently performance of contemporary music. It seems more like a trade school than a full conservatory.

When I usually think of a "proper" conservatory, schools like Peabody, New England, Oberlin, Manhattan, Berklee, etc, they are fully accredited in a wide range of music subjects including music education, technology, composition, performance, etc. I don't think I'd be wrong to say that a proper conservatory must have focus in classical and jazz studies as at least general and core curriculum.

I can c your point as well but like u siad ya self, its more contermpory music rather than Classical and Jazz, but I can say we do start studying Jazz in term 3 of my current course and do a entire year on it on the degree course they offer.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

This is true to an extent. Some music degrees are very legitimate, such as music education, composition, and MP&E degrees.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Kabukimonobrad what course are you doing at guitar-x?
Quote by SEALSniper1152

Quote by Xiaoxi
This is true to an extent. Some music degrees are very legitimate, such as music education, composition, and MP&E degrees.

True, but aside from music education those degrees still are only useful in very limited and highly competitive fields.

Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
yeah i agree with you alot, and this is part of the reason that delayed my decision to go to a music college. but after my year of experiencing office work, i know it's not for me. i'm going to chase my dream, and if it fails, i'll find a normal job somewhere, but i want to go for something i love

OF course you should always try your hardest to do what you love, but if you go to a normal college with a strong music program you can do that and still have a widely respected degree to fall back on.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Kabukimonobrad
I can c your point as well but like u siad ya self, its more contermpory music rather than Classical and Jazz, but I can say we do start studying Jazz in term 3 of my current course and do a entire year on it on the degree course they offer.

Cool. Not knocking on your school, but I've just never seen this kind of focus. It will give you what you need if performance in popular music is what you want to do, but it doesn't seem to offer much else...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
Kabukimonobrad what course are you doing at guitar-x?

Right now, im in term 2 of the Diploma course they have on offer and they now do a Higher Diploma, but they didnt tell me about it until we started (twats) but I cant really complain because of the Scholarship.

I hoping to move onto the degree they offer there as well
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
True, but aside from music education those degrees still are only useful in very limited and highly competitive fields.

Thats very True, a degree doesnt say u play well it just says you've passed a course and thats it, but its cgood if u wish to go on to teaching music..
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Well, with a composition degree and a masters in composition, one usually becomes an associate professor at a university or conservatory and it's a fairly normal, stable track. And yea, it's competitive and not everyone will succeed but that's life. Composition is what I really want to do though, so I'm willing to take the risks. And to be quite honest, I really have no interest in pursuing any other fields.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by exiledsoul

Well, I have plenty of time to learn spelling.

And I doubt one spelling error ruins my chances of pass any class.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Fat-bastard0603
Well, I have plenty of time to learn spelling.

And I doubt one spelling error ruins my chances of pass any class.

I was just kidding around, settle down. <3
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by wizards?
I have an audition to McNally Smith in St. Paul on Friday. Hoping to get in and study Performance of guitar.

Cool man, What does the course offer and wheres McNally Smith?
Quote by Kabukimonobrad
Cool man, What does the course offer and wheres McNally Smith?

It offers bachelors in performance, recording, and business... It's pretty cool, and it's a small college downtown St. Paul MN.