Hi, Im pretty new here, i play my guitar for fun, but for fun got boring and i want to play for real, so, to start off i would like to know, how do i know what key i am in? and how do i find a scale that fits the chords progression?

say im playing,

Em7 G A

1) what key is this? and please explain why and how you figure it out.

2) what scale would fit this? why? and how did you figure it out?

please give me some examples to go along with what your trying to explain.
like throw out some chords progressions and explain why its in that key, and what scale fits.

thanks for any help!
Em-pentatonic,

It`s in E (m7)

I practiced it with Guitar Pro. Know your scales and find out if all the chords match in a scale. In the beginning it takes alot of time but the more you do it (and the most are standard) the better it gets.

Em - C - Am - D is in Am, or E-Aelion check the chords and the scales. Know that in pentatonic the VII and in Aelion the II and VII aren`t the best one to fit in.
Quote by MaXiMuse
Em-pentatonic,

It`s in E (m7)

I practiced it with Guitar Pro. Know your scales and find out if all the chords match in a scale. In the beginning it takes alot of time but the more you do it (and the most are standard) the better it gets.

Em - C - Am - D is in Am, or E-Aelion check the chords and the scales. Know that in pentatonic the VII and in Aelion the II and VII aren`t the best one to fit in.

What? Those chords dont fit into either scale. Am is not Em. The progression sounds like it wants to resolve to D
Quote by chickrawker
its generally the 1st/last chord of the song

No, it isn't. The first and last chords have no bearing on the key.

what mode would u play over that maxi muse

Stop spamming the forum with your mode questions and read the god damned sticky.

TS: The theory sticky and the crusades articles (in the columns section) cover basic theory. Both of them will answer your question.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_progressions.php

This is quite a useful tool, it will tell you which chords are in each keys. However you should try and use your ears. Try and find which chord makes the progression sound "finished", this will be the tonic (the first/root chord in the key).
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree