Someone just gave me a Kramer guitar....not sure of the model, can't read it. After taking off the pickgaurd it appears to be made from plywood??? Do they actually make guitars from plywood? If it is plywood is it even worth messing with? it currently has no pickups in it so I can't test the sound, but I don't want to waste my time and money on it if the wood is crap.

Anyone know?
MY GEAR-
Dean: Performer E (accoustic/electric)
Ibanez: GRX20 (electric)
Takamine: Jasmine (accoustic)
Crate: V33-212 (amp)
Boss: RC-2 (loop station)
Behringer: X V-amp (Multi Effects Pedal)
yeah, cheaper guitars are sometimes made with plywood..

if you like the feel of the neck, it'd be worth putting cheaper pickups in to have just as a backup guitar. it doesnt really have awesome modded guitar potential, but usually you make make a crap peice of plywood a half decent modded guitar
Yeah a lot of the cheap crap that comes outa China is plywood

Note

Plywood guitars are NOT crap because they are made out of plwood

they are normally crap because they are cheap through and through, banged out on CnCs with low quality parts, low QC, lot set up care etc etc you can actually make good guitars out of plywood, if you cared that much.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks for the help. Sounds like it may be worth putting some quality parts on and seeing what happens.
MY GEAR-
yea i just started taking apart my squier bullet for an appearance mod and it too is made from plywood. and the pups are screwed into the pickguard. uber gay =p
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by a7xsteve
yea i just started taking apart my squier bullet for an appearance mod and it too is made from plywood. and the pups are screwed into the pickguard. uber gay =p

they are on any strat you tard
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Last edited by rancidryan at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by bigpapatrump
Someone just gave me a Kramer guitar....not sure of the model, can't read it. After taking off the pickgaurd it appears to be made from plywood??? Do they actually make guitars from plywood? If it is plywood is it even worth messing with? it currently has no pickups in it so I can't test the sound, but I don't want to waste my time and money on it if the wood is crap.

Anyone know?

Probably an Aerostar or Striker model from the 80's. Check out vintagekramer.com if you wanna find out any info on it. They were made in Korea. The necks on them were actually pretty decent but it was a starter guitar I guess you could say more or less.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by rancidryan
they are on any strat you tard

srry, nvr took apart any guitar before.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
I kinda want to make an acoustic completely out of plywood and see what it sounds like.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
I have a semi-hollw made of ply and it sounds like a wooden banjo. It has the twang of a banjo, but it's more of a thud than a ring. It's cool, but prolly not good for gigging.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
I kinda want to make an acoustic completely out of plywood and see what it sounds like.

Like crap. Why?

Because plywood doesn't resonate as well as a solid piece of wood does, because ply is made of many pieces of crappy wood glued together.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
lots of Kramers in the 70s and 80s were made from plywood and played and sounded like ass. Why they've inherited this holy grail position among hair metal and other 80s rock guitars I don't know, since the San Dimas era Charvels were so much nicer
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I know not every Kramer was/is terrible, it's just in general even if it is one of the crappy low end models lots of people seem to think it's the closest thing to God
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Actually no 70's era Kramers were made of plywood, that was their aluminum neck period and they had no low end line at the time. They started the cheap line sometime in the early/mid 80's. Normal Kramers were made out of poplar, maple and alder and mahogany. The low end ones were...low end though problem why people think they're so great cause most of the time they don't even know its plywood and because Kramer had Neptune, NJ stamped on every neckplate regardless of where it was made, people assume they have a USA Kramer. So you get all these numbnuts on Ebay trying to sell guitars worth $120 for $400 and you can't convince them otherwise.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Natrone
Like crap. Why?

Because plywood doesn't resonate as well as a solid piece of wood does, because ply is made of many pieces of crappy wood glued together.

i just thought i'd point out that iirc the Gibson ES-335 is made of "Laminated" Maple.

If that's the case then, It's basically maple plywood.

and if you think the Gibson ES-335 sounds crap then you're just.. well, wrong.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
So, basically I shoudn't assume that it would sound like crap just based on the fact that it is made of plywood? Are there any other factors to consider before deciding to put money into it? I've checked the neck for warps and such and overall the guitar seems to be in great shape, it just currently has no pickups or bridge on it. The tuners appear to be good quality with no play in them whatsoever. Frets are in good shape as well as the fretboard. My concern was that no matter what I do to it, it would sound like crap because of the plywood, but it seems that may not be the case?

Thanks for all of the input!
MY GEAR-
My Samick strat is made of plywood and has beautiful sustain, the pups however are worth nothing so I'm upgrading them pretty soon.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
EMG"S are your answer

they sound the same in any guitar
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
like crap?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.