I'm doing a refinish of an old strat and I'm wondering what you guys do to prevent the paint from running? I haven't run into this problem yet really, I just put a coat of primer on it and it had minimal runs, but I'm just worried about colors running where I'm painting it in the hanging position that is recommended. Any tips on getting a good finish with just regular Krylon paint cans?

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
just make sure you spray multiple thin layers and not one thick layer.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
dont hold the can too close
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
-1 John 2:17
Try and spray one side at a time so that you can rest it on a work bench and spray down onto it.

But light coats is definatly what you need when hanging it up.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I read somewhere that the old Krylon rattlecans are Acrylic Lacquer and better to use than the new cans which are Enamel. Will it make much of a difference? I have bought Enamel already but will return them if I can find the old cans. Anybody have any experience with the Enamel Krylon cans? (the ones that say dries in 12 minutes)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Mike1109
I read somewhere that the old Krylon rattlecans are Acrylic Lacquer and better to use than the new cans which are Enamel. Will it make much of a difference? I have bought Enamel already but will return them if I can find the old cans. Anybody have any experience with the Enamel Krylon cans? (the ones that say dries in 12 minutes)

Don't use colored laquer.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Last edited by chuckflan333 at Feb 24, 2009,
very thin layers, expect minimal coverage per layer to prevent runs from happening
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys!

Just wondering, I went around town looking for the Acrylic Lacquer Krylon and couldn't find it in the colors I need (blue and black). The thing is, I have one bottle of Acrylic Lacquer in White that I bought about a year ago, but the black and blue that I just bought were Enamel. If I can't find blue and black Krylon in Acrylic Lacquer, can I go ahead and use the white Acrylic Lacquer with the black and blue Enamel rattlecans? Which should go on first?

Quote by chuckflan333
Don't use colored laquer.

Why not? I think that's what most people on here have recommend over Enamel.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at Feb 24, 2009,
I remember hearing something really important, that enamel shouldnt be used on wood. Cant remember the reason, maybe someone can help, cracking or something.
Quote by Mike1109

I just find it more effective to use actual paint and then clear over it. Colored laquer looks...not right to me.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Along with all the position type/amount instructions...

For spray painting from a aerosol can, I bought this several years ago...

http://www.amazon.com/Rustoleum-Rust-Oleum-Spray-Grip/dp/B000DZFE44

It's cheap and really helps "spitting" from being a problem as you keep constant pressure on the button on top of the can. It also keeps your finger from getting tired.

I'd spring for the $5-$6 model though (at Home Depot or Lowes). That is the one I got but could not find it online. It is in the stores though.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Mike1109
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys!

Just wondering, I went around town looking for the Acrylic Lacquer Krylon and couldn't find it in the colors I need (blue and black). The thing is, I have one bottle of Acrylic Lacquer in White that I bought about a year ago, but the black and blue that I just bought were Enamel. If I can't find blue and black Krylon in Acrylic Lacquer, can I go ahead and use the white Acrylic Lacquer with the black and blue Enamel rattlecans? Which should go on first?

It's best not to mix Acrylic Lacquer with the newer Enamel formula. Just buy the White Enamel to go with your Blue and Black. Note that working with Enamel takes a lot longer and requires patience; meaning, the coats dry longer and takes a while before you can wetsand them.

This doesn't mean the Acrylic Lacquer is superior. They're just different.

In the sticky, I posted that Sherwin-Williams (the manufacturer of Krylon, Duplicolor, and various bigbox DIY store house brand paints) is getting rid of the "old" Krylon stock - $.50/can for the Krylon Acrylic Lacquer Primer, Colorcoat, and Clearcoat!!!

I bought every can.

I'm going to hit all the S-W stores within 50 miles this weekend.