I know some scales but now when i solo it just leaves me in a box and I haven't been able to solo over all of the fretboard. How would I know what notes to play all over the fretboard over the rhythm? So couldn't I turn those chords into notes to be able to play those specific notes all over the fretboard? And if so how would I find the notes of the chord. And would it only be the root chord that use for the notes?
learn the notes of the fretboard and the notes in that certain scale..problem solved.
Quote by MrFunkNasty
learn the notes of the fretboard and the notes in that certain scale..problem solved.

^^^ agreed

Also, figure out what key the rhythm progression is in and then graph out the modes on the neck... That way you can extend your patterns outside that box you currently know.
What do you mean by modes? And if I figured out the key depends on what scale I wanted to play in how would I know what notes to play?
Quote by coollikedat
I know some scales but now when i solo it just leaves me in a box and I haven't been able to solo over all of the fretboard. How would I know what notes to play all over the fretboard over the rhythm? So couldn't I turn those chords into notes to be able to play those specific notes all over the fretboard? And if so how would I find the notes of the chord. And would it only be the root chord that use for the notes?

You simply need to expand your knowledge. If you only know one pattern, you will be limited to that pattern (which is where you are now).

The patterns cover the entire neck, if you learn the others, and learn to connect them, you will be able to play the scale over the entire neck.

Also, if you're ready for it, learning the notes, and studying theory (like scale construction) will help to solidify your understanding .
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 24, 2009,