im sure the first thing all of you will think of when i say this is Metallica, they were punk...straight up at first, now there the heavy hitting metal band everyone knows of.

what do you guys think of bands changing their style?

i got the warped tour 2003 compilation cd and was really surprised when i hared "darkness surrounding" by avenged sevenfold, this was obvisioly a very early song based on the recording and the sheer sound of it, i really liked it compared to the new stuff!!!

so what do you guys think?
metallica was punk? i always thought they started thrash then went to hard rock, silly me.
anyways, i don't mind it as long as the new sound is an improvement over the old

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
I don't mind it. Band's can't play the same stuff over and over again. Look at what happened to Dragonforce. Musical evolution is almost always good, IMO.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
yeah...well obvisioly metallicas change was an improvement, ecause right after they did it they went litterally right to the top

but yea...they were punk dude
Quote by guitarockstar99
im sure the first thing all of you will think of when i say this is Metallica, they were punk...straight up at first, now there the heavy hitting metal band everyone knows of.

i got the warped tour 2003 compilation cd and was really surprised when i hared "darkness surrounding" by avenged sevenfold, this was obvisioly a very early song based on the recording and the sheer sound of it, i really liked it compared to the new stuff!!!

lol metallica punk???? i think you need to figure out what punk is... metallica started off thrash.. and went to hard rock...
PANTERA
Quote by KGB_INC
none. i've never had sex.
probably never will.

My Gear:
B.C Rich Warlock
32 year old antique yamaha accustic
Peavey Ovation
Peavey Millenium Bxp 5 string Bass
2000 Watt Peavey PA system
Line 6 Floor Pod
Metallica was never, ever punk. Sorry.

I think bands should write fresh material that doesn't sound like their last album. If I wanna hear metallica's fist album, I'll put it on. I don't need a back catalog of fourteen albums that all sound the same
like slayer.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It can be a good thing and a bad thing depending on your personal taste, i personaly prefer propagandhi's last 3 (more thrashy) albums over the 1st 2 more pop punky ones.
Where as i prefer say alkaline trio's 1st couple of albums over their newer more polished and IMO totaly over produced albums.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by guitarockstar99
im sure the first thing all of you will think of when i say this is Metallica, they were punk

Oh my god. Don't talk.
Quote by Draken
lulz is a stupid term used by rectal dwelling wart children.
um...I dont think metallica was ever punk...I'm pretty sure metallica < isn't really a punk name at all even....I also think that many documentaries and interviews with the band would say they were punk either...actually I don;t think any do.....someone didn't do much research...
~ Requiem of Innocence ~
I like it to be honest, as long as they don't sell out. My favourite band is Bon Jovi and they've changed there style constantly over the years and i've liked every reincarnation (wasn't as keen on their Hair Metal days as their hard rock and acoustic stuff though).

Quote by ortrigger
I don't mind it. Band's can't play the same stuff over and over again. Look at what happened to Dragonforce. Musical evolution is almost always good, IMO.

I agree with this post a lot.
Last edited by aaciseric at Feb 24, 2009,
well once they change their style its either really good or you just dont like the band anymore and climb into your bed in the fetal position and listen to all their old albums
JAY
Guitar about to get: Gibson SG 61 (Reissue)
In need of new Amp and pedals for it.
Quote by guitarockstar99
yeah...well obvisioly metallicas change was an improvement, ecause right after they did it they went litterally right to the top

but yea...they were punk dude

nah they were thrash metal and they went more hard/alternative rock and then they went...well to **** really.

There new album is thrashy though as in it fits the characteristics of thrash ( a few songs at least).
Sig space available, give me some praise
haha...

yeah alot of older bands are changing their styles gain respect in todays main stream music and get recognition from younger fans
Quote by guitarockstar99

metallica was never punk they started out thrash, then went country with st.anger
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Feb 24, 2009,
RHCP had a pretty drastic style change over the years, changing from their WTF funk/hard rock style to a melodic poprock style.

/obvious
Towers of London were punk, now there (horrrible!) pop.
its kind of ironic, they had a song called kill the pop scene.
Why are you reading this?
Quote by darkwolf291
no..the song mama said by metallica

lol i know

and yes!

RHCP has had alot of changes

bot to get off topic but have we had any updates about flea's excursions in jazz trumpet?
AFI? More heavy before, like on the s/t...
Over Exposure> Miss Murder.
My gear:

- Squier Stratocaster

- Fender 15G

-Crappy First Act
Ac/DC had a bit of a change as well, from the bleusy Bon Scot era to the more hardrock Brian Johnson style.

Usually when a singer changes, major changes will happen.

Also, Guns N' Roses (damn, Appetite for Destruction is an awesome album).
haha yea definately man!!!

and that was one of the first things i thought of, ac/dc....its too bad bon died haha what a terrible way to die choking on your own puke......

and yea i know...for some reason when a singer changes everyone thinks they need to change for them...no you invited them in now they should mold themselvs to fit your style musically, unless everyone agrees its time for a chang or whatever....

but ive also thought of this

i have alot of musical inflences in the music i listen to...from pop/punk to metal core do hardcore to inde....what would happen if there was a band that played about everry style i juts listed? would they make it if every song was influenced that differently? would the music community accept them?