im trying to add a dorian flavour to my blues.

Dorian is minor, and what makes it dorian is a sharpened 6th, so i would play A dorian blues like this:

5------7
5-6-7
4---7

note this is just a tiny portion of the A blues scale, but i just want to know have i got it right?
Quote by schmintan

Dorian is minor, and what makes it dorian is a sharpened 6th, so i would play A dorian blues like this:

5------7
5-6-7
4---7

note this is just a tiny portion of the A blues scale, but i just want to know have i got it right?

Try this out:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1045690&highlight=Dorian+Blues

The vid is very cool and there's tons of good info.
Quote by schmintan

5------7
5-6-7
4---7

The "scale" you posted doesn't appear to be in A and contains nothing suggestive of dorian. Read the mode sticky and make sure you have a working understanding of tonal harmony before worrying about modes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by schmintan

Dorian is minor, and what makes it dorian is a sharpened (major) 6th, so i would play A dorian blues like this:

5------7
5-6-7
4---7

I had to correct that description it was bugging the heck out of me. Dorian does not have a sharp anything. It is minor and has a natural sixth or major sixth.

What strings have you got there? I can't make sense of your tab without reference to strings?

The Blues Scale generally refers to a minor pentatonic with an added #4/b5. So in A it would be A C D Eb E G.

Dorian is a minor mode characterised by it's major sixth. A major sixth above A is F#. Add this note for a Dorian flavour to your Blues.
e|----|--[B]R[/B]-|----|----|-[B]b3[/B]-|
b|-[B]b5[/B]-|--[B]5[/B]-|----|--6-|-[B]b7[/B]-|
g|----|-[B]b3[/B]-|----|--[B]4[/B]-|-[B]b5[/B]-|
D|--6-|-[B]b7[/B]-|----|--[B]R[/B]-|----|
A|----|--[B]4[/B]-|-[B]b5[/B]-|--[B]5[/B]-|----|
E|----|--[B]R[/B]-|----|----|-[B]b3[/B]-|
         ⇧
         5th fret
Bold notes = Blues Scale
Add the 6 for a Dorian Blues sound.

And those b's mean [I]flat[/I] NOT bend.  
The numbers are scale degrees.

At least I'm guessing that's how it works. I've never really tried it to be honest.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by schmintan

5------7
5-6-7
4---7

if its a major blues, you could use all the notes of the dorian scale. in blues, its usually played by using the minor pentatonic over a major progression. but in blues, they also add in notes from the major pentatonic. so because you can use both the major and minor, dorian can work pretty well over it as well. it is a minor mode, but its more major sounding than say the natural minor. so it sounds kind of like a mix of the two. so it makes sense that it would fit over a blues. you could also use some mixolydian licks as well.

what i like to do is use the dorian notes for passing tones. that or i use them for notes to bend from. so ill use a dorian note to bend to a note in the pentatonic. its a nice effect i think. makes things more interesting. i find it doesnt sound as good though over a minor blues. because then you lose that whole playing a minor scale over a major progression. so in a minor blues you wouldnt add in major pentatonic notes usually. so i usually stick to the minor scale in that situation for passing tones and bending. although the dorian will still work in a minor blues, i just prefer not to use it as much.