I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. My 3rd string always seems to go out of tune. Additionally playing the 3rd string on the 2nd or 3rd fret sounds like I'm bending it even though I'm not.The string seems slightly higher from the fretboard than the rest. I had a setup done at Guitar Center and while its better the problem is still there.The guitar is all stock with 11 gauge strings. I suspected the tuner but it feels the same as the others. Any ideas? I did drop tune down two steps in the past but not since the setup.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
It seems it's a common problem with many Epiphones nowadays. I've played many ones (and owned 2) in the last years and I haven't found a single one which didn't have this issue.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
What actually causes the problem? Is it always the 3rd string. I've only been playing a year and it bothers me enough that I've been playing my washburn instead.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
im guessing its the tuner. or the way you have the string on, make sure you coil it under and not over on top of the already coiled part.
I always coil under. The tech at guitar center put on these strings
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by silver93t
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. My 3rd string always seems to go out of tune. Additionally playing the 3rd string on the 2nd or 3rd fret sounds like I'm bending it even though I'm not.The string seems slightly higher from the fretboard than the rest. I had a setup done at Guitar Center and while its better the problem is still there.The guitar is all stock with 11 gauge strings. I suspected the tuner but it feels the same as the others. Any ideas? I did drop tune down two steps in the past but not since the setup.

Theres your problem.
I think it's not the tuner, at least it wasn't with mine. It was the nut (terribly cut) and the bridge (terribly finished).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
it's going to be the nut.

they may have just built up the nut at the cut a little. (higher) to get rid of the buzz.

now the string is getting caught in the cut and getting tossed out of tune.

OMG!! trash the guitar!

nopers. you can swap out the nut for a graphite. $30
you can lube the nut and saddle edge. free

you can use wound g string for more stability

you can find a better way to string up that string.
a little locking move.

and or you can swap out for locking tuners. about $40 depends where you get them.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The nut is the part above the first fret that has the cuts for the strings to pass through? The tech at the guitar center here has his own business and just does it through them. Its not some kid there setting up guitars. Still I am not happy with how it is. There is a small local music store I may try. My teacher recommends him.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Last edited by silver93t at Feb 25, 2009,
yeah
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011