I want to get Emg 81 pickups for my strat. Problem is, how the hell are you supposed to change your guitar pickups to humbuckers if the pickups are single coil? Is it even possible? How?
take off your pickguard, and see if you're lucky enough to have a guitar routed for humbuckers (the cavity cut out of the body big enough for em). If not, you have to expland the cavity till they can fit xD

difficult stuff...also, you'll need somewhere to house the battery for active pickups
You can use a different pickguard to fit them and wire things differently or you can use the EMG Single coil pickups.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by RandyRhoads818
I want to get Emg 81 pickups for my strat. Problem is, how the hell are you supposed to change your guitar pickups to humbuckers if the pickups are single coil? Is it even possible? How?

Why do you want EMG 81s?

What amp do you have?
What's wrong with your tone at the moment?
How do you want it to change and why do you think those particular pickups, or even a pickup swap in general, will help?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Emg 81's are cheap and I think they ae metal pickups? They are great for lead so thats why i want them. MY tone sucks. It doesn't give me the tone i want. I was hoping that it could get like the Zakk Wylde pickup tone, without being overpriced. I only want to spend like 130$ on pickups.
Umm the pickups don't give you your tone man. The amp does, and pedals and eq and such.
Quote by RandyRhoads818
Emg 81's are cheap and I think they ae metal pickups? They are great for lead so thats why i want them. MY tone sucks. It doesn't give me the tone i want. I was hoping that it could get like the Zakk Wylde pickup tone, without being overpriced. I only want to spend like 130$ on pickups.

if you only want to spend $130 EMGs are out of the question, unless you're buying used or only getting one new. brand new they'll run you over $200.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by RandyRhoads818

EMGs won't make you sound like Zakk Wylde, buying his amp will get you closer but sticking EMGs in a strat won't do jack all for you.

Save up for a new amp - I guarantee that's the biggest part of the problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A not so good amp will always affect your tone. It's doubtful that a pickup swap will radically alter your tone. Take a look at that first. If you really want to do the pickup swap, most strats are routed for a humbucker in the bridge, so with a new pickguard, you could probably do it just fine.
Quote by steven seagull
EMGs won't make you sound like Zakk Wylde, buying his amp will get you closer but sticking EMGs in a strat won't do jack all for you.

Save up for a new amp - I guarantee that's the biggest part of the problem.

Listen to this Seagull,his shrill and noble squawks are filled with wisdom.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Some Strat's are built so that you can change Single Coils to Humbuckers without problems. Or you could just buy single coil EMG's?
If everything could ever feel this real forever,
If anything could ever be this good again,
The only thing I'll ever ask of you,
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when.
I know everyone here is "always amp first, then pickups." I agree with that mostly, but If you're going from single-coils to humbuckers, I think the change is big enough to warrant a pup change no matter what amp the person is using. It doesn't take a good amp to hear the difference between a single coil and humbucker.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I know everyone here is "always amp first, then pickups." I agree with that mostly, but If you're going from single-coils to humbuckers, I think the change is big enough to warrant a pup change no matter what amp the person is using. It doesn't take a good amp to hear the difference between a single coil and humbucker.

Yes, but going hes moving to active pickups, if he has a crap amp it will sound horrible.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
True. Stay away from EMGs if you only want to pay $130 and you don't have a good amp. You'll need to make all of your pickups active if you want it to sound good, and that's going to cost a lot more than $130 on a strat. Go for passives.
so probably amp would be a peavey vypyr 30 be right? My budget is only $200. I'm like broke, meaning i cant spend a lot of money. Or maybe a line 6 spider 3 30 watt. I duno, could you people help me out?
Quote by RandyRhoads818
so probably amp would be a peavey vypyr 30 be right? My budget is only $200. I'm like broke, meaning i cant spend a lot of money. Or maybe a line 6 spider 3 30 watt. I duno, could you people help me out?

Vypyr or roland cube, depending on which you like more. Not the spider. No marshall MG.