well me and the band were making a song and we got everything done but the solo,which the song would sound wierd without a solo,i'm tryin to come up with stuff but its hard to do when you don't live with the rhythm guitar player so how do you come up with stuff without a rhythm player
One thing to do is to use the melody as a template for your solo. Add stuff that sounds good and go from there.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
hav ur band record what will be played under the solo then just play it over and over again till u make 1 u like
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
Quote by SilverDark
One thing to do is to use the melody as a template for your solo. Add stuff that sounds good and go from there.

What he said. Use the melody as a start, then add/change things to make it sound better.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Play it a few times to get it in your ear and then start improvising.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by R.Y.A.N Norman
well me and the band were making a song and we got everything done but the solo,which the song would sound wierd without a solo,i'm tryin to come up with stuff but its hard to do when you don't live with the rhythm guitar player so how do you come up with stuff without a rhythm player

Your trying to do something that you simply don't have the experience for yet. Simple solution..... get some experience. Spend some time learning solo's so you have an idea of what to do.
One.. know what key the song is in, know what scale you're playing and get that down. Try to go through the music in your head and maybe a good solo will start playing in your head. That always works for me, then I just write it out on paper. Be creative with it.
What style of music are you playing?
What kind of mood is there, e.g. happy, sad?
Is the song fast or slow?
Do you have a rhythm part already written? (if so, record this and play around over it)
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by werty22
Write the rhythm guitar part in Power Tab or Guitar Pro.

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M