Hey guys,

I'm a guitarist, but looking to dabble into a bit of bass guitar again (i used to play bass for a school jazz/blues/funk group, but that was a few years ago and the school lent me a bass guitar to practice on). So i'm looking for a bass guitar and amp (the bass guitar isn't essential, i can borrow one off a friend who i jam with, but i definitely will need the amp).

My budget is about $1000AU max (so around $650US), but i'd rather stay at around $800 (so around $520USish).

I've searched threads, and from i've found, you guys seem to recommend (this was from threads like 1-2 years old though) either an ibanez or schecter bass (the stilletto deluxe 4? Those can be had for around $550AU) and as for amps, a 50w crate combo amp over here goes for around $550AU as well...otherwise i'm looking at a sub-$400AU amp (do behringer bass amps get the same bad rep as their guitar counterparts? :P).

Any comments on schecter basses and crate amps (or other recommendations)?
Crate amps are crap. Look Ashdown.

Schecter's are quality instruments. If I was ever going to get an non-Leo Fender designed bass it would be a stilletto.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 24, 2009,
People around these parts regularily recommend the Squier VM Jazz bass for budget bassists - dont worry about Squiers rep for guitars, they make probably the best beginner/budget basses on the market, or so most of us think.

Im not really an amp-knowledge guy, so youll have to leave that to someone else around here But Behringers are almost universally despised around here. The wattage they "claim" to output is often signifigantly lower than the actual product, and theyre often badly assembled.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
funny you say that, there's an ashdown FIVE FIFTEEN 100w (1x15" speaker) bass guitar amp for $100 less than the crate ($400-450AU). Good buy?

as for the basses, how about the epiphone (EB-0), ESP (LTD B50), ibanez (SR200) and yamaha (RBX170 or 270) lower level basses?

I think at this point i'm inclined to spend a bit more on the amp rather than the bass unless you guys can convince me otherwise :P.
Most of us aren't a fan of either amp(the ashdown love starts with the MAG series), but it's certainly better then the Crate. also look into Peavey, if there are any down there.

As far as the basses go, I'd take the Schecter you mentioned in the OP over any thing else mentioned in this thread. Of the basses you just mentioned, the Ibanez and Yamaha 270 are good, but I'd avoid the 170 and the epiphone. (mostly the epi) The LTD is somewhere in the middle, but I imagine it'd be fine. It's up to you, really. If you find one that you like better, get for it. Will the store owner let you play them to get a feel for them?
Nope, no sig here.
Yeah there are peavey's down here, but they're much more expensive and harder to find. A peavey MAX 112 35 watt combo will cost as much as an ashdown fivefifteen 100w combo. At the moment, I'm probably going to end up going with the ashdown...but if the peavey is really quality, will 35 watts cut it for jams with a full band (keyboards, guitars and drums)?

im sure most of the shops around here let you try before you buy. So i guess i'll go in and try out the schecter, yamaha 270 and that ibanez sometime and see how they feel.

thanks for the help guys!
don't get the crate please....rolands cubes are sweet if u just wanna dabble....if ur real serious i recommend fender, ashdown, and ampeg for combos...stack wise i like vox lol...i like originality
even if they didn't i would mod the speakers a bit and tinker with wiring |)professionaly(

i like the vox sound for 6'ers, so i would just mod out a vox stack...2 suit my bass "tone"
Quote by loinmute
even if they didn't i would mod the speakers a bit and tinker with wiring |)professionaly(

i like the vox sound for 6'ers, so i would just mod out a vox stack...2 suit my bass "tone"

*headdesk*

So, for a guy on a budget, and most likely without an intricate knowledge of electronics, you are recommending that he buys an amp, buys new speakers for it and then replaces damn near every part inside of it so that it suits bass frequencies?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
From that store, get the ashdown.

I wonder why Peavey is so expensive...it's usually pretty competitively priced in other places.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
From that store, get the ashdown.

I wonder why Peavey is so expensive...it's usually pretty competitively priced in other places.

It's not just with bass guitar amps, anything above mid range for peavey guitar amps are pretty crazily priced (this is retail though, 2nd hand usually has pretty good deals).

Thanks guys, i think i will get the ashdown. I'll save up for the schecter and in the meantime my friend can lend me a bass.